Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a demo 2020 black edition from the dealer as it's not much more than the EXL since it's a demo model. I'm hesitant from reading all the issues with the touring/elite model. Is there still a transmission issue with the 9spd? Is it better to just get the EXL with the 6spd? I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if Canadians are having the same amount of issues. I'm also planning on driving it till it dies, so looking for long term reliability.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a demo 2020 black edition from the dealer as it's not much more than the EXL since it's a demo model. I'm hesitant from reading all the issues with the touring/elite model. Is there still a transmission issue with the 9spd? Is it better to just get the EXL with the 6spd? I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if Canadians are having the same amount of issues. I'm also planning on driving it till it dies, so looking for long term reliability.

Thanks!
I'd buy the EX-L to avoid the auto start stop feature. Less bells and whistles = less problems long term.

Reactions: Lainemac and Sha93

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Do they have a low milage 2014 or 15 on the used car lot?
Even better choice for long term.

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
So tempting for the demo its only about $1k more than the EXL lol.
From what I've heard on the board as the most concerning in these vehicles is getting stranded in the middle of the intersection by the auto start stop feature. The issue is a computer glitch. If you have no issue of getting in the habit of hitting the button to disable it every time you get in the vehicle, then go for it. As @Captain_Pilot said get the extended warranty. The longest one possible. See if they will give you that extra $1000. Doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
813 Posts
That’s a really good deal if it’s only $1k over the EX-L. There haven’t been many complaints about the transmission ever since it got the refresh in 2019. Now the main issue is that the screen glitches and the speakers make a popping noise. The issue is less persistent with the 2020 model though. I’d totally get the extended warranty just for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I've heard on the board as the most concerning in these vehicles is getting stranded in the middle of the intersection by the auto start stop feature. The issue is a computer glitch. If you have no issue of getting in the habit of hitting the button to disable it every time you get in the vehicle, then go for it. As @Captain_Pilot said get the extended warranty. The longest one possible. See if they will give you that extra $1000. Doesn't hurt to ask.
I didn't know the idle/stop was that bad, is this happening on a lot of the pilots?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I didn't know the idle/stop was that bad, is this happening on a lot of the pilots?
I think it has only been a very few vehicles, and earlier models! I don't recall any of the 2019-2020 owners reporting that here . Auto/Stop can be permanently disabled by following some posts on this board so you don't have to hit the off button every time.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think it has only been a very few vehicles, and earlier models! I don't recall any of the 2019-2020 owners reporting that here . Auto/Stop can be permanently disabled by following some posts on this board so you don't have to hit the off button every time.
I’m considering doing that to my pilot too, but just wondering, will it void the warranty?

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
It's one to many when it happens to you.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
The auto start/stop works as it is supposed to. Some people just don't like the few second delay for the engine to start. If you get into a habit of turning it off as soon as you start the car, you won't even think of it.
Some owners don't even mind it. Don't miss out on a good deal just because of that one "feature".

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
The auto start/stop works as it is supposed to. Some people just don't like the few second delay for the engine to start. If you get into a habit of turning it off as soon as you start the car, you won't even think of it.
Some owners don't even mind it. Don't miss out on a good deal just because of that one "feature".
The auto start/stop feature was put on vehicles by manufacturers to try and squeeze out some extra fuel economy for their numbers, but this was done at the car owners expense. You pay for the feature up front, then because of it, certain components of your vehicle wear faster and have to be replaced more often. The starter simply will not last the lifetime of the vehicle if this function is used. The battery is already problematic in 3rd generation Pilots. The start/stop feature makes this worse. You can expect to replace your battery more often because of it. Low voltage causes sensor issues and computer glitches that strand you and land you in the repair shop without warning. And you just hope that stranding is not in the middle of an intersection with the fear of being T-boned because you were using the start/stop feature.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A counterpoint to Nail Grease's valid concerns:

If you want to buy a rock solid, easy to maintain car, go find a pre-OBD Toyota. The bells and whistles you get with a modern car may or may not be worth it to you, but they sure are to me. I have a 2018 elite and I love my 9-speed and auto-start stop. I follow the maintenance minder, but have a trusted non-dealer mechanic do the work. I got the 8 year extended warranty from Hyannis Honda for a great price.

If you like the features on the black, test drive it, see how you like the way the 9 speed feels. If you don't like auto-start stop, you can turn it off every time you use the car, or disable it with a solution you can find here in the forums.

Nail Grease is right that there is an optimized configuration for cost/reliability/features/ease of maintenance. That configuration might not be right for you. It's not right for me.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Sounds like a good price, if you like the features I'd say go for it. The seats are really cool on the Black Edition.

My personal oipinion is I'd look really hard at getting an extended warranty with any new vehicle. The more complicated they get the more scared I get of things breaking. I can replace parts, but electronic parts are more expensive than shocks or brakes.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Sounds like a good price, if you like the features I'd say go for it. The seats are really cool on the Black Edition.

My personal oipinion is I'd look really hard at getting an extended warranty with any new vehicle. The more complicated they get the more scared I get of things breaking. I can replace parts, but electronic parts are more expensive than shocks or brakes.
I agree with getting a long extended waranty plan. Make sure it comes with them providing a vehicle for when yours is in the shop.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
Yes it can, but keep in mind that doing so it technically against the law as you are making modifications to the approved manufacture emissions system.

Will you get caught, probably not, could Honda decide that it voids the warranty if they discover it, they well could as Honda, like all vehicle manufacturers, want to stay on the good side of the federal government and the 45 states with similar laws on their books.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, press brake, start, push the button for gear, push the button to disable auto/idle start, off you go. I almost never forget, I think... I forget.
Prob get in the habit of doing it if I don't like the feature. I've emailed the dealer to see if the car qualifies for the 0% interest rate

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Prob get in the habit of doing it if I don't like the feature. I've emailed the dealer to see if the car qualifies for the 0% interest rate
If it's a demo, ask them to sell at the EX-L price. They may give in.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts