Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5,795 Posts
I think there is a mixture of information and processes in this thread that can confuse the OP and future readers.

-The only way I would use anything other than a spray wax or quick detailer is if I were prepared to reapply my protection. Polishes, swirl removers, water spot removers, clay bars, etc. will all remove your current protection.
-The best way to prevent water spots after you have protected the vehicle is by removing the minerals from the water you are spraying on your vehicle. Either a whole house softener system or a spigot mounted softener will do. And staying out of direct sunlight while washing as well as thorough drying.

I don't have time to wax my car every time I wash it so I use longer lasting sealants. The water spot remover sprays mean very little to me because I would likely correct the vehicle with a polish anyway if it were that bad.

There are detailing products for every possible niche out there, it's easy to spend a lot of money and have a shelf full of crap you'll never use.

Reactions: briantii

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you are a well water drinker you might want to consider a water softener system for your well water. They have improved greatly over the years. No more salty or potassium chloride tasting water. You car would love is as would you hot water heater, clothes washer and dish washer.
We have a system in place. Up here in the mountains of NC there is a lot of iron.

· Registered
71 Posts
Update: I used the clay bar and it was a very slow process but the water spots went away. I did the hood and when I finished I sprayed it with Meguair's Ultimate Quick Wax. I did see a few swirl marks on the hood as well. Is there a process to get those out. Sorry for all the questions but this is our 1st black car.
Glad to see the clay worked out. As for the minor swirl you can spot polish that area again then top it off with your wax.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Maybe using a leaf blower will help you not have any hard water stains. I do it on my cars all the time and there’s no water spots.
I have Ryobi tools (since I'm not a pro they work fine) so I got their newest 18V brushless blower... it does a pretty good job. It has the "TURBO!!!!!" button so I had to take the tool apart and solder the turbo button wires together so every time I pull the trigger turbo mode is engaged.

Reactions: awfpack

· Registered
813 Posts
I have Ryobi tools (since I'm not a pro they work fine) so I got their newest 18V brushless blower... it does a pretty good job. It has the "TURBO!!!!!" button so I had to take the tool apart and solder the turbo button wires together so every time I pull the trigger turbo mode is engaged.
Yep! I got my craftsman leaf blower for like $10 from a sale and it’s been through hell, but somehow it’s still working lol. I recommend to other people to use a leaf blower, but make sure to turn it on facing away from the car so there’s no rocks or anything in there.

· Registered
39 Posts
Sorry, I'm late to chime in here, but I want to second the Clay Mitt option and heavily recommend the Griots Clay Mitt and Speed Shine, you can get both off Amazon and they work amazing, there are plenty of YouTube vid's on them...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.