Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our BE and I washed, polished, and waxed as soon as we got it. The other day I decided to wash the car. After I finished I had some water spots still on the car. I tried to use quick detailer but that worked a little but I still have some spots. We are on well water and it is very hard. Lots of iron, ect. How is the best way to get these spots off? The paint is still very smooth to touch. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If a QD didn't do it I would slowly step up in aggressiveness until something works. Try a spray wax next, maybe use a microfiber pad. Anything further will remove the wax you have on the vehicle.

How did you dry the vehicle? This is part of why the pros push for products that sheet more than bead, less water on the panel means less contaminants on the panel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wiped it down with a micro towel. Seems like they happened before I could really dry the vehicle. The car was cool and it was early morning.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If you were on top of drying the vehicle quickly and a QD and spray wax don't remove the spots, you are stuck using a light polish which will remove your wax/sealant.

I think the best course of action for future washes is to invest in a kit like the link below.

Aren't black vehicles fun to own?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Two ways to solve the problem.

1. Don't buy a black car.

2. Use one of these........

Unless you are in Canada, then you can use one of these......

·
Registered
506 Posts
I like the moose idea.

If you really want it to look good over time, follow washing with a good swirl remover and a mechanical application. Follow with wax. Its faster than just wax by hand and works much better, especially over time.

There are many options for product. For a DIY guy, using a system like Meguiar's or Griot's is going to work fine. Get a good dual-action buffer to put on the product and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You try a clay bar? If your water really hard then I dry some water spot removal like CarPro, ONR, and etc. Many detailing company make them. It pretty much and spray on and wipe off method. Can be purchased at autogeek, detailer domain, detailed image and Adam polish. To avoid but not completely wash your car in the evening when the sun down or shaded area. Your last resort is polish/compound if all else fails.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you were on top of drying the vehicle quickly and a QD and spray wax don't remove the spots, you are stuck using a light polish which will remove your wax/sealant.

I think the best course of action for future washes is to invest in a kit like the link below.

Aren't black vehicles fun to own?

Thanks for posting this. I will check it out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the moose idea.

If you really want it to look good over time, follow washing with a good swirl remover and a mechanical application. Follow with wax. Its faster than just wax by hand and works much better, especially over time.

There are many options for product. For a DIY guy, using a system like Meguiar's or Griot's is going to work fine. Get a good dual-action buffer to put on the product and you can't go wrong.
Thanks for the info. What wax to you use?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You try a clay bar? If your water really hard then I dry some water spot removal like CarPro, ONR, and etc. Many detailing company make them. It pretty much and spray on and wipe off method. Can be purchased at autogeek, detailer domain, detailed image and Adam polish. To avoid but not completely wash your car in the evening when the sun down or shaded area. Your last resort is polish/compound if all else fails.
I was not sure about using the clay bar. The paint is still so smooth I was afraid I would mess it up.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was not sure about using the clay bar. The paint is still so smooth I was afraid I would mess it up.
Thanks for your help
A fine clay bar won’t damage your paint if use rite or the synthetic one. Letting the water spot sit for long periods of time will etch your clear and more work will need to be done. But I def try those water spot removal as if it not to hard it will wipe off with ease. Last thing you wanna do have to wet sand if it etch threw. At the end of the day your car black so it gonna get scratches and love mark from washing.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Thanks for your help
Use one of the new synthetic clay mitts, they are excellent and can be rinsed off if dropped. No marring on any of my paint but I only clay right before I polish anyway, so once a year or so.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the info. What wax to you use?
I use some pretty generic carnauba wax, but I don't think it matters much - anything from a reputable brand will work.

What does matter is getting it on and off fast, because then you will apply it frequently. A dual action buffer and some good pads makes that possible.

Swirl remover does matter. The guys at my local auto paint store say they sell the 3M product more than anything else. I'm still using a Meguiar's product, but when I run out, I'll probably switch to 3M.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I used the clay bar and it was a very slow process but the water spots went away. I did the hood and when I finished I sprayed it with Meguair's Ultimate Quick Wax. I did see a few swirl marks on the hood as well. Is there a process to get those out. Sorry for all the questions but this is our 1st black car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
We just got our BE and I washed, polished, and waxed as soon as we got it. The other day I decided to wash the car. After I finished I had some water spots still on the car. I tried to use quick detailer but that worked a little but I still have some spots. We are on well water and it is very hard. Lots of iron, ect. How is the best way to get these spots off? The paint is still very smooth to touch. Thanks for any advice.
Buy this!!!! It cheap and works great. I have a black Saab 9-3 and I hate washing it. Our water is hard and this attachment works!

You can get another type of system but that will be more expensive

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is what I use;
I only use it for the final rinse and I can do that in about 2.5 min., so I get 18 rinses per bag before it starts losing effectiveness.
I'm on city water, but it's really a mix from the purification plant and a nearby city well.
It's really been a time saver because I was always fighting water spotting. Especially on the windows.
You have a pool supply store near? They can test your water and tell you the hardness #. This unit comes with a meter, but since I have a pool, I already knew my hardness level and what to expect.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I did see a few swirl marks on the hood as well. Is there a process to get those out. Sorry for all the questions but this is our 1st black car.
Yeah, there's a process. You can go full bore if you're seriously OCD, or just wash, do swirl remover, and wax. Swirl remover takes care of all my water spots, but we have pretty nice water. There's a learning curve, and the tools and materials will cost $250 or so to get started with the basics. Once you're experienced, it takes an hour to wash, remove swirl and wax a Pilot.

Since you're apparently pretty picky about keeping it glossy, I recommend learning to take care of it yourself. Swirl in the clear coat is inevitable. If that doesn't sound like fun, get it professionally detailed whenever it starts to bug you.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
If you are a well water drinker you might want to consider a water softener system for your well water. They have improved greatly over the years. No more salty or potassium chloride tasting water. You car would love is as would you hot water heater, clothes washer and dish washer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts