Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a chip the other day and I have Safelite coming out to try to repair in tomorrow. Going thru their web site I see its about $500 for a new windshield. The charge $600 on top of that to recalibrate everything. Is it cheaper going directly to the Honda dealer to have this done? Crazy the recalibration is more expensive than the windshield itself

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
did you check your insurance coverage? I replaced the windshield on my Odyssey for $100 deductible - there was no calibration done or even mentioned.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you check your insurance coverage? I replaced the windshield on my Odyssey for $100 deductible - there was no calibration done or even mentioned.

Good luck.

We have Erie Insurance, a repair is covered 100%, if I need to get a new windshield our deductible is $250. I have not contacted them, I just did everything online with Safelite making an appointment for tomorrow. I don't know if the recalibration is cover or not. I would assume so, but you know how that goes

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would talk to the insurance before the repair. I am sure they have preferential rates and they might even know what this calibration is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would talk to the insurance before the repair. I am sure they have preferential rates and they might even know what this calibration is.

I just called Erie, I didn't realize they have a separate number for glass. Anyway they use Safelite. If I need a replacement my out of pocket is $250 and the recalibration is covered. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't grow. I haven't needed a windshield replacement it 25 years, that was 5 vehicles and half a million miles ago Lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just called Erie, I didn't realize they have a separate number for glass. Anyway they use Safelite. If I need a replacement my out of pocket is $250 and the recalibration is covered. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't grow. I haven't needed a windshield replacement it 25 years, that was 5 vehicles and half a million miles ago Lol
You will not have to pay for anything beyond your $250 deductible. My advice though - request the Honda OEM glass AND Honda OEM trim/molding. Do it right the first time without any worries about aftermarket glass. And don't believe anyone that says their aftermarket glass is the same as the factory glass. If it doesn't have the "Pilkington" logo and branding on it, it's not OEM glass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Avoid Safelite if possible and go to your dealer. I made the mistake with my 2016 and the wind noise from their glass was horrible. I paid out of pocket for a OEM windshield and it made all the difference

·
Registered
221 Posts
Avoid Safelite if possible and go to your dealer. I made the mistake with my 2016 and the wind noise from their glass was horrible. I paid out of pocket for a OEM windshield and it made all the difference

Sounds like a poor install. Even a OEM windshield will "sound" bad if a poor installer does it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
$600 for a recalibration is insane. Last year when I had my windshield replaced, I had the dealer do the calibration. I was reimbursed by my insurance company and the total charge was $127.
I also will be replacing my windshield again, but I am told right now there is a backlog for OEM glass.....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luckily all is good. The bullseye crack did not grow overnight in the cold weather. Guy from Safelite came out right on time. He repaired almost perfectly, and told me it should not spread any. Its not optically perfect but its on the pax side of the windshield about 1/4 from the bottom so I don't even notice it.

The $600 for recalibration I quoted was on Safelites web site when I did a mock replacement without insurance. The guy who did my repair said yes, they can get pretty expensive depending what is involved. Not all their shops can do it and the one's that do must be able to do it up to factory specs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quick question for those that made a claim to their insurance company: Did they raise your premium after the claim? Friend of mine got a slight increase after a comprehensive claim. He had a $250 deductible.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Good luck.

Here in Arizona the law requires there be no deductible for a windshield replacement under one's comprehensive coverage; the replacement is free. I like that as chipped and cracked windshields are rather common considering how many unpaved roads we have. Of course, some chips I've gotten were on pavement when a stone flies out of the treads of a car in front of me. The last repair was for a chip. The technician came to my house and did the repair in the garage, no cost to me. I have had a windshield replaced since I moved to Arizona on my former Ford Explorer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts