Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There may not be many 2019 Pilots on the road yet but wondered if others have encountered issues with USB flash drive music file playback. In my 2019 Touring, when inserted the flash drive will initialize for a few seconds and play music fine (files, folders, songs all searchable, selectable, etc.), but if I turn off and restart the car later, the infotainment system will sometimes (but not always) no longer play that very same USB that was left inserted, or it will sometimes say "incompatible device" connected. Most often, the head unit simply says "Initializing" at the bottom of the screen and never completes this task to start playing the flash drive. If I take the USB out and try again it will sometimes work, but only until the next time I turn off and restart the car when it tries to "initialize" again. I've tried a couple of different USB drives from different manufacturers with same results. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry haven't seen this yet, but don't put too much hope in these Honda infotainment systems, at least the ones in Pilots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I have seen this in my 2019 EX-L. The USB will work fine for several trips, and then decide it cannot be recognized. Additionally, while it usually picks up where it left off playing on the last drive, on occasion it will pick a random song, or start from the "top of the drive."

I am trying to determine if I can reproduce this regularly via some behavior, or if it's random.

- C2

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
You have me wondering.

You know the way on a computer you have to stop the USB before you remove it? If you don't you risk data loss?

Wondering if the corruption you're experiencing is due to the music playing when the car is shut down.
So it never powers down safely....corrupting the file and USB....

If I'm on to something, whoever makes the system for Honda messed up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It doesn't appear to be actual filesystem corruption. At some point the USB will start working again (after car restart, USB re-request from the home screen, or remove and reinstall the USB drive.) Nothing appears wrong with the files when viewed on a regular computer, either. It just seems the head unit periodically decides it won't recognize the files, and then chooses to accept it later.

I've used both of the following with the same, intermittent result:
- Corsair Flash Voyager Slider X1 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive [ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S89EMB8/ ]

- SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-128G-G46 [ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07855LJ99/ ]

-C2

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry wrong thread, but is it possible to play video files from the USB drive on the rear entertainment system? has anyone tried this ?

When I plug in the USB, it asks me if the media on the USB should be made available to the RES.

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
sorry wrong thread, but is it possible to play video files from the USB drive on the rear entertainment system? has anyone tried this ?

When I plug in the USB, it asks me if the media on the USB should be made available to the RES.

Thanks
Yes, I have played mp4 videos on the RES via the USB flash drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you share what file extension you were using to play music on a USB on the Pilot, I have music on a USB that plays, but I'm trying to transfer a Book on Tape to a USB and after hours of trying I'm not getting anywhere. The files aren't being recognized.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've continued to tinker with this to try and find a pattern with limited success. After some research on Amazon I found a few people said the SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35 works in some Hondas, so I bought one. It does indeed work better than the other four or five drives I tried, which were Kingston, SanDisk, Microcenter, and a some generic no-names. The SanDisk CZ33 will be successfully recognized and automatically replay fine 4 times out of 5, but will still occasionally stick in the "initializing" mode. One time the head unit would not recognize it as inserted at all, even after I physically removed and reinserted it several times, so I plugged it it a USB extension dongle I had and it was recognized immediately. Honda does recommend using a dongle to attach USB drives, but I assumed that was to prevent physical damage to the USB port from a protruding flash drive being bumped around. Maybe the connections are more solid with a dongle. Anyway, it is better with the dongle but that defeats the point of a low-profile USB drive.

I'm really frustrated by how inconsistently USB playback works in my new Honda and wonder if Rocky has a point about how the head unit shuts down the USB port. Dealer is clueless about any of this. Maybe I need to always switch sources before powering down and plan to try that. I have loaded some tunes onto My Honda Music and that always works fine, but the on-board file storage size is very limited - maybe 10GB or so.

Hopefully Honda will push out a system software update to fix this. I have USB playback in inexpensive aftermarket head units units in two other vehicles and they both work flawlessly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Aviator6,
Can you give us a How-to description to play videos? Thanks!
Sorry it took awhile to reply, but I haven't been near a computer. First, I'm using a 32 GB, SanDisk Cruiser Glide, Formatted as Fat32. It needs to be inserted in the FRONT USB port. I can then browse the USB files on the front screen, but I think you can browse using the remote in the back. I have 6 MP4 movies on the drive, using just a bit over 9 GB. One thing that I discovered, and it was the same on my Odyssey, was that you needed to turn off WiFi in settings. Otherwise, if you lose the current connection, a warning pops up on the screen & turns off the rear entertainment center. I found in my Odyssey, that it wouldn't read certain makes of USB drives, even though they worked fine in my computer. Haven't tried anything but the SanDisk in my Pilot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There may not be many 2019 Pilots on the road yet but wondered if others have encountered issues with USB flash drive music file playback. In my 2019 Touring, when inserted the flash drive will initialize for a few seconds and play music fine (files, folders, songs all searchable, selectable, etc.), but if I turn off and restart the car later, the infotainment system will sometimes (but not always) no longer play that very same USB that was left inserted, or it will sometimes say "incompatible device" connected. Most often, the head unit simply says "Initializing" at the bottom of the screen and never completes this task to start playing the flash drive. If I take the USB out and try again it will sometimes work, but only until the next time I turn off and restart the car when it tries to "initialize" again. I've tried a couple of different USB drives from different manufacturers with same results. Any suggestions?
I have 19 touring with the same "initializing" issues sometimes. Also another USB issue - I can't change album from steering controls. I have driven a 16 pilot and if I "continuous press" next/previous from steering controls it goes to next/previous album.. it's a bummer that 19 doesn't do that.. or am I missing something else?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you share what file extension you were using to play music on a USB on the Pilot, I have music on a USB that plays, but I'm trying to transfer a Book on Tape to a USB and after hours of trying I'm not getting anywhere. The files aren't being recognized.

Westwind, I am using standard MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3) compression and 192 kbps bit rate. When I made the first USB I just copied over a bunch of files from iTunes, and they did not work. Titles would be identified and timers would count down, but no sound would come out. Turns out the Apple Lossless Compression used in my iTunes library may have too high a bit rate. I've read that some other Honda head units will not recognize anything over 320 kbps. Making audio files at the lower bit rate solved my problem. (I doubt the Honda factory speakers playing over road noise at 75 MPH are going to miss the extra audio data...)

-C2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going back to the original issue on this thread, I've figured out that the problem with initializing or not recognizing the USB drive is related to how the head unit powers down. If the unit is automatically turned off by opening the door while playing the USB source there is a good chance it will not work properly when powered up the next time. However, if I switch to another source like FM before powering down, or if I turn off the radio manually with the power button before exiting the vehicle, the USB will resume play instantly and flawlessly the next time I turn on the radio or switch back to USB as source. This indicates there is an issue with how the head unit "disconnects" from the USB port. If the radio is turned while the head unit still has power, it has time to properly power down and disconnect. If the door is opened and all power to the head unit is shut off abruptly, it would seem the USB drive is not properly powered down. Hopefully Honda monitors these threads and can issue a firmware update to fix this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 2019 Pilot Touring and I have the same Unsupported and "Initializing" when using any USB for music. It only works off and on if I keep taking it out and then re-inserting the drive. I can't believe a new vehicle has this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't had that problem, but my 2019 has a playback problem that drives me nuts. The system forces folders, albums, and tracks into alphabetized order. Most of the time that isn't a real serious issue, but when you play original cast recordings/sound tracks from musicals it is a deal breaker. Rather than begin with the overture, the order is all scrambled from the recording, making playback less than enjoyable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry haven't seen this yet, but don't put too much hope in these Honda infotainment systems, at least the ones in Pilots.
If you're buying a car for drivability, you can't beat the Honda Pilot. If you're lookin for a good entertainment system do NOT buy a Honda. Nissan used to install Bose entertainment systems in some models - the BEST !! Honda is definitely technically challenged when it comes to entertainment electronics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're buying a car for drivability, you can't beat the Honda Pilot. If you're lookin for a good entertainment system do NOT buy a Honda. Nissan used to install Bose entertainment systems in some models - the BEST !! Honda is definitely technically challenged when it comes to entertainment electronics.
Let me be clear about the problem I posted. First, the USB drive I am using is the same one that worked fine in our 2015 CRV since we've had it. I simply installed it in the 2019 Pilot. I haven't had problems with it starting, only with the random nature of the way it functions. The alphabetizing of order first and foremost. Then it seems to use random mode at times even though it is not selected, and other times it doesn't.

Also, try this: Make sure you have "Trip Computer" selected and displayed on the main drivers display, right under the digital speed indicator. Now go to the touch panel, hit home, and select "trip computer." Compare the numbers, especially the mpg, shown in the two displays. In mine, they are vastly different, even though the "range" number is the same.

It seems to me the whole digital system behind the touch panel is TFU, unpredictable, and perhaps contains some sort of worm or other malware component....just enough to make it unreliable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
"Also, try this: Make sure you have "Trip Computer" selected and displayed on the main drivers display, right under the digital speed indicator. Now go to the touch panel, hit home, and select "trip computer." Compare the numbers, especially the mpg, shown in the two displays. In mine, they are vastly different, even though the "range" number is the same."

Haven't tried this, but does either one actual come close to matching a hand calculated MPG result? My trip computer on the main drivers display is always 1-1.5 MPG higher than when I check it by hand.

Does the Home screen one reflect a lower number than the main screen? How much of a difference between the two?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The one on the center touch panel is always far lower than reality and what shows on the driver display...a lot.

With very few total miles so far, I have seen no reason to question the calculation on the driver display.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts