Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Touring has over 14,000 miles on it. As of last month, it started “jerking” randomly during acceleration, usually in the 30 mph range. Sometimes, it has happened in the 20 and 40 mph range. In some cases, it feels like it slows even. In other cases, I hear a clunk during the jerk.

I first noticed it when pulling into my garage. I’d coast in, but it was almost like the car would stop. I’d have to hit the gas (and my garage is flat.)

I’ve been to two dealers three times. First dealer was u helpful because they couldn’t replicate the problem and because diagnostics checked out well. Second dealer found the computer issues, reset them, but the jerking started again. This last time, another more educated service advisor said he know Honda was working on some sort of computer fix for the transmission issues, but that he didn’t know when it would be ready. Also, he said they really couldn’t help, but would try anyway.

I’ve called Honda Customer Service and am hoping for better service than I initially received.

My infotainment system has already gone out - and been replaced - and my Pilot has leaked oil twice following oil changes from two dealerships.

I’m at a loss on the transmission. It’s a ****ty thing, let me tell you!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sounds like the older version ZF (2016-2018) would behave before it gone south. Many reviewers mentioned that the 2019 has improved. In my experience, Honda dealers almost always tell you everything is normal when they can't find a fix. You have warranty on the transmission for the next few years, if a problem is developing, it would show up soon and your dealer will definitely can replicate it then. This is my worst concern about the Pilot and hope won't see it happening on mine. Hope your issue will resolved soon one way or another.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for me that I have the extended warranty too! Thanks for the encouragement and fingers crossed that your transmission is in good shape!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 Touring has over 14,000 miles on it. As of last month, it started “jerking” randomly during acceleration, usually in the 30 mph range. Sometimes, it has happened in the 20 and 40 mph range. In some cases, it feels like it slows even. In other cases, I hear a clunk during the jerk.

I first noticed it when pulling into my garage. I’d coast in, but it was almost like the car would stop. I’d have to hit the gas (and my garage is flat.)

I’ve been to two dealers three times. First dealer was u helpful because they couldn’t replicate the problem and because diagnostics checked out well. Second dealer found the computer issues, reset them, but the jerking started again. This last time, another more educated service advisor said he know Honda was working on some sort of computer fix for the transmission issues, but that he didn’t know when it would be ready. Also, he said they really couldn’t help, but would try anyway.

I’ve called Honda Customer Service and am hoping for better service than I initially received.

My infotainment system has already gone out - and been replaced - and my Pilot has leaked oil twice following oil changes from two dealerships.

I’m at a loss on the transmission. It’s a ****ty thing, let me tell you!!
I have a 2019 pilot touring and I am have the same exact problems. My car is currently at the dealer and I have a loaner. I can’t keep this car driving this wayZ. It’s driving me insane!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2019 Elite with 11,000 miles have similar issues. At times, it clunk when changing from reverse to drive. Also, the change from Parking to Reverse or Drive, or Reverse to Drive takes some time to engage (lagging). Dealer inspected the car today and told me that everything is normal as they do not see any error code.

The other issue was with the pedal shift. When pedal shift was activated, while cruising, to slow down the vehicle, the engine rpm shoots up such that the car accelerates before actually slowing down. Dealer told me that it was the design of the car and nothing is wrong. Personally, I think that this is a safety issue. I am wondering if all 9 speed transmission behaves like this. It appears that the engine revs up to make smooth transition but it overshoots way too much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The ZF 9-speed is a piece of shit and has been since it debuted. Its not like Honda didn't know since it was a horror show for Jeep/Chrysler before they decided to use it. Ultimately, I think it was selected not because it was the best choice but because it was the cheapest way to add more gears. Most here have seemed happier with the 2019 version of the ZF but I still think it's just an inherently flawed design.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The ZF 9-speed is a piece of shit and has been since it debuted. Its not like Honda didn't know since it was a horror show for Jeep/Chrysler before they decided to use it. Ultimately, I think it was selected not because it was the best choice but because it was the cheapest way to add more gears. Most here have seemed happier with the 2019 version of the ZF but I still think it's just an inherently flawed design.
I was strongly considering a 2019 Touring. After reading about 5-8 Pilot/Honda forums and Facebook groups and Review sites like KBB & Edmunds, I was pretty shocked by seeing so much dissatisfaction/anger in 2019 Pilot owners, over the ZF 9 speed transmission issues AND clunks/thunks in the suspension. Plus infotainment and a few other things dating all the way back to 2016 models - I've decided to no longer consider the 2019 Pilot. I don't understand how Honda could be in the 4th model year of this 3rd generation flagship SUV - and to not have simply made all of the issues right? This is not the Honda I knew. Every Honda/Acura that I or my family has owned has been mechanically excellent - many models, many years? Literally, no problems - except one and it was small - my sisters civic had one of the wiper arm motors go out in, maybe in year 10! Haha! My mom still has a 2005 TSX which was sold in Europe as the Accord, back in the day. Never had even one issue. It still looks and drives fine. I just don't get this? Crazy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
IMO Honda/Acura is not what they used to be and the public's perception based on a reliability reputation earned two decades ago has been slow to change (in Honda's favor). I don't think Acura/Hondas are bad but they are no longer exceptional and at the top as far as reliability. At some point in the past two decades Honda changed focus to cost-minimization and profit maximization. The end result are good vehicles with average reliability. What the Pilot really had going for it in 2016 was the packaging was unique with most other 3-row midsize SUVs being too small and the Pilot was just right. Now with KIA/Hyundai/Ford/Subaru's latest offerings there are other choices in the (larger) mid-size 3-row market.

I'm not unhappy with my Pilot but then again my wife now drives it day-to-day and so I don't have to live with the 9-speed or squeaks/rattles anymore. She puts low miles on her cars and I suspect our 2018 will last a long time and be a solid purchase in the end but I don't know if I'd make the same purchase today given the other options - honest statement - I haven't driven the others mentioned above but these weren't even contenders when I bought the Pilot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMO Honda/Acura is not what they used to be and the public's perception based on a reliability reputation earned two decades ago has been slow to change (in Honda's favor). I don't think Acura/Hondas are bad but they are no longer exceptional and at the top as far as reliability.
Thank you for weighing in, I think your summary is spot on, unfortunately. In addition, it seems like Honda is not keeping up with or competing well with features like automatic rear braking and adaptive cruise control that can follow in low-speed traffic and more. As an aside on a Honda owners FB page, I've asked for opinions on the EX-L as it has the more reliable, but slightly less fuel-efficient, 6-speed transmission. More positive responses than those who have the Touring or Elite models.

·
Registered
53 Posts
IMO Honda/Acura is not what they used to be and the public's perception based on a reliability reputation earned two decades ago has been slow to change (in Honda's favor). I don't think Acura/Hondas are bad but they are no longer exceptional and at the top as far as reliability. At some point in the past two decades Honda changed focus to cost-minimization and profit maximization. The end result are good vehicles with average reliability.
Spot on. We’ve had several new Hondas since the early ‘90’s. Currently a 2014 CRV that we are looking to replace. We’ve had more problems with the CRV than I expected. What’s really driving me away is their inability to fix the claimed VTC rattle. It sounds like a grind now. They’ve replaced the VTC twice and the chain tensioner to no avail, I don’t think Honda actually knows what’s causing it. Warranty is up soon and we need a bigger vehicle. I’m skeptical on Pilot still.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned my 2019 Honda Pilot Touring since September 2018. I have been dealing with transmission shifting issues for over the past year. On my last service visit (8/14/20) my dealership "found a SB at this time to update the TCM. Performed SB 20-029 updated transmission control module at this time to improve shift, will take 500 miles for the transmission to update to the customer driving habits". On the 12 mile ride home from the dealer I experienced correct up and down shifting for the first time in well over a year Additional software recalls #T89 and #Y7Y were also addressed during the visit. My Honda dealer is located in Aurora, IL.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a very similar story to above. We have a 2019 Pilot touring purchased fall 2018 with 26K on it now. Took it in for maintenance today and asked Service Dept. to look into occasionally harsh 4-5 up-shift that appeared about a year ago. Only an issue under light or lifting throttle conditions when shift occurs around 40 mph as car was almost coasting, for example in stop & go driving when transitioning from accelerating to coasting/slowing while approaching a stop light or slowing traffic. No issues at all under hard acceleration but that's not the way I drive. A little annoying since 9-sp tranny is very smooth otherwise. Dealer told me late today they updated TCM with new software and that fixed the issue. We'll see when I pick up car tomorrow...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if thos is vcm related. I have a 2019 exl and experienced a clunk or shift in within the engine when coasting and a noticeable slow down. I thought this was normal

I installed a vcm disabler/tuner and i no longer feel the clunk. I feel like my car actually coasts when i let off the gas. Could be a placebo effect of me installing this but i am 99% sure this has stopped giving me that artificial feeling of weight and noticeable slowdown and moreso hopefully preserve my car for as many miles i can get out of it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts