Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2wd 2019 and am looking at getting a 22' pontoon boat. Total weight of boat and trailer and everything should be around 3000 lbs. Has anyone spent much time towing a boat with your 2wd. Should be vehicle be able to handle this load?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Have you consulted your owner's manual and door jamb to determine how your vehicle is equipped?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
As long as you are staying within rated capability you will be fine. The chassis is more than up to the weight. Your issue will be the boat ramp.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yea it’s rated for 3500 lbs as long as I add the tranny cooler
I don’t think 3500 lb capacity requires a tranny cooler.......but sure wouldn’t hurt. Monitoring TF temp thru the OBDII port when towing at 90+% capacity wouldn’t hurt either.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I have a hitch, but I installed a transmission cooler just for the fact that Honda decided to leave them off. If you plan on keeping your Pilot past the warranty, I'd install one.

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In Honda’s infinite wisdom, they did not give FWD G2 Ridgeline’s tranny coolers either. I haven’t done any towing, but after observing tranny fluid temps north of 210F, I thought a tranny cooler would be a good idea, so I installed an aftermarket tranny cooler. I might not have if I didn’t know TFT.

I do have experience boat towing and monitoring TFT with other vehicles.....I know for a fact pulling a boat out of the water, up a steep ramp, will increase TFT a bunch and rapidly.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I sure would re-verify the weight of a 22’ pontoon boat and trailer. Don’t forget the added weight of fuel, gear and to subtract the weight of vehicle occupants and gear carried inside the vehicle. I can see actual towed weight exceeding 3500 lbs with a 22’ ‘toon. The last thing you want is the tail wagging the dog. Since the pontoon boat is fixed-sided, max speed is 55 mph.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
As long as you are staying within rated capability you will be fine. The chassis is more than up to the weight. Your issue will be the boat ramp.
Cintocrunch brings up a good point. Since your Pilot is the front wheel drive model, you will be trying to pull your pontoon up a boat ramp with the front axles only. On a wet/slippery/steep ramp, this could be a real challenge with spinning front wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts