Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had the tow package installed on the new (or I assume it's the same on 2016-2018) Pilot? Got a quote of $1,555 for parts ($970) and labor ($585). I know the install is fairly labor intensive since all the plastic has to come off, has anyone done it themselves, and if so, is it worth $585 of trouble?

BTW this is for the 5000 lb package with transmission cooler.

Thanks,

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cost online for a Genuine Honda hitch is $265 and I put mine on myself in an hour and half. Electrical harness was $55 online and took me 45 minutes. I do not have an ATF cooler because my towed rig is only 1300lbs. The ATF cooler online is approx. $170.
FYI if your total weight towed (incl passenger and gear) is under 3500lbs you don't need the ATF cooler says Honda.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just paid $960 ($610 for hitch, $350 for harness) which included labor. They did forget about a part they needed to relocate the foot sensor that was about $120 but they ate that since it was their fault.

They told me this was “their cost” but after talking to my Service advisor friend, he said it’s the price the parts department would charge the sales department, so not actual cost.

Edit: this was without the transmission cooler on a 19 Touring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
The going rate when I bought my 2017 the going rate was about $1200 for the complete package: Honda Hitch, Wiring Harness, Transmission Cooler. Included all labor. 5000# tow rating IF the pilot is an AWD model.

This was for 6 speed models. 9 speed might be a little different price on the transmission cooler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
when i downgraded from touring to exl.. since i got the crank angle sensor issue on my touring,
i asked the dealer to install this before i pick up my car, i towed my toy car 5races this season.
the invoice was buried in the cost, i think it was arpund 900 too...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought my parts online and the dealer installed including the transmission cooler. I believe that altogether was like $700 to $800 don't remember exactly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
5000# hitch $1200 installed is what my dealer quoted.

FWIW, even if you never tow a trans cooler is always a good thing. Heat is the enemy of transmission fluid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone here has a hands free tailgate and installed the hitch receiver themselves? I’m looking at the installation instructions and the part with the sensors is throwing me off a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If installing the trailer hitch yourself; is it the same as this process on a 2017 Pilot? YouTube
I'm looking to install just the hitch, without ATF cooler or electrical harness since we'll be hauling our bikes only.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cost online for a Genuine Honda hitch is $265 and I put mine on myself in an hour and half. Electrical harness was $55 online and took me 45 minutes. I do not have an ATF cooler because my towed rig is only 1300lbs. The ATF cooler online is approx. $170.
FYI if your total weight towed (incl passenger and gear) is under 3500lbs you don't need the ATF cooler says Honda.
This is basically my experience with the 2016. Draw tite hitch installed quick, the harness took about the same time. I spent more time looking for the factory plug hidden behind the plastics. I would recommend towing in sport mode on the Touring/Elite to keep it in gear longer and from lugging the engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 2018 Honda Pilot EX-L.

I used Uhaul installation. I paid I think $450 for hitch bracket mount/ball and wiring for signal lights. Works like a charm. Just drive up hook up one of their trailers whenever I need one and off I go. By the way, you also need to make sure you have the proper fuses installed for the signal lights wiring to work properly.

To the OP, wow that's insane amount of money for a tow hitch installation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are a number of folks that installed it themselves. I personally wrote up a synopsis of my experience. The only thing I would not suggest doing yourself is the ATF cooler. I did it myself and it was 4 agonizing hours for the ATF cooler. Its extremely hard to do it easily f you don't have a lift. At the same time, there are so many fail points were a lazy mechanic may skip that would work in the short term, but fail in the long term.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the aftermarket hitches, DrawTite or others, what do you do about the foot sensor? The dealership will move (whatever this entails) the foot sensor when installing a factory hitch.
Does anyone know, do you have to move the sensor for DrawTite or Curt or other aftermarket hitches? If not, does it impact the function of the foot sensor or backup cameras?
If the answer is you do move it; move it to where? Where does the dealership move it to?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I added oem hitch and harness myself. Was not hard. Only tricky piece was to relocate the hands-free foot operated tail gate sensor. I might add oem transmission cooler later. Its about $300 for the 9-sp transmission.

I really prefer the clean look of the oem hitch. Anything aftermarket sits too low and if you have the connector harness, it plain looks ugly. I wonder why Curt etc cannot match the design/placement of OEM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I added oem hitch and harness myself. Was not hard. Only tricky piece was to relocate the hands-free foot operated tail gate sensor. I might add oem transmission cooler later. Its about $300 for the 9-sp transmission.

I really prefer the clean look of the oem hitch. Anything aftermarket sits too low and if you have the connector harness, it plain looks ugly. I wonder why Curt etc cannot match the design/placement of OEM.

How did you relocate the hands-free operated tailgate sensor? Where did you move it too and how did you mount it? Would love to know if you could share a few details about this part. Putting the hitch in and wiring seems do-able based on information available but to my understanding, moving the sensor is something new for '19 and I could not find any insight on it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
How did you relocate the hands-free operated tailgate sensor? Where did you move it too and how did you mount it? Would love to know if you could share a few details about this part. Putting the hitch in and wiring seems do-able based on information available but to my understanding, moving the sensor is something new for '19 and I could not find any insight on it.

Thanks,

Starting with step 45 of the following should help:

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/pilot/2019/handsfreepowertailgate.pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks,

The instruction manual talks about it. And looks like there is a new part (smaller sensor cables) that might be needed. My sensors pretty much run the full width of the lower trim that comes off.

Un willing to invest in smaller sensors, I just used some zip-ties to secure the sensors as close to the original configuration as possible while making room for the hitch receiver to peek thru.

I know I am doing a bad job of explaining but once you get ur parts and start installing, it will become clearer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

Wondering if it's better to have towing package, specially one with cooler (5000lbs), installed together with vehicle purchase or shouldn't matter even if done after purchase with a dealer or 3rd party?

Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi,

Wondering if it's better to have towing package, specially one with cooler (5000lbs), installed together with vehicle purchase or should not matter if done after purchase with dealer or a 3rd party?

Thanks.
The transmission cooler will run you around $700 (parts and labor from Honda dealer). You could get the parts cheaper, but their is a lot that needs to be removed and then replaced. Honda has it in the books for 3 hours labor.....I believe it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts