Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the unfortunately instance of a rock hitting the windshield on our Pilot Touring. Beside getting the glass repaired, there is a need to have the cameras reprogrammed for the features in the touring.

Talking with Honda it takes two hours and minimum of $300 to program the cameras. Curious to know if the Honda shop time is two hours for this and is a way to do this yourself?

·
Registered
550 Posts
In the vid you posted, I'll bet the aim on the lane watch is off. The Honda target is much larger and behind and to the right of the rear bumper when properly measured out.

With your windshield camera, you also need the proper targets set at the proper measured position. I would encourage you to take it to your dealer and have it correctly done. You are counting on that camera for many safety systems, and for it to do that, it must be properly aimed. Many glass shops/collision repair shops didn't aim/properly aim cameras after service and are now targets of law suits when another incident happens and it was linked to improperly aim camera.
1mm off at the camera lense is how off a 1000 ft, very well may be the difference between a near miss and tragedy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the vid you posted, I'll bet the aim on the lane watch is off. The Honda target is much larger and behind and to the right of the rear bumper when properly measured out.

With your windshield camera, you also need the proper targets set at the proper measured position. I would encourage you to take it to your dealer and have it correctly done. You are counting on that camera for many safety systems, and for it to do that, it must be properly aimed. Many glass shops/collision repair shops didn't aim/properly aim cameras after service and are now targets of law suits when another incident happens and it was linked to improperly aim camera.
1mm off at the camera lense is how off a 1000 ft, very well may be the difference between a near miss and tragedy.
the videos were good to see what’s involved. Though didn’t show the front windshield cameras

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Are you paying for the windshield or is your insurance? I believe that you need to speak to your insurance company in regards to this as it is part of the safety features and insurance companies love safety features. I would suspect that they will pay to have the camera issue taken care of. Make sure that you have documentation from Honda that shows why this needs to be done. They should know, but documentation never hurts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you paying for the windshield or is your insurance? I believe that you need to speak to your insurance company in regards to this as it is part of the safety features and insurance companies love safety features. I would suspect that they will pay to have the camera issue taken care of. Make sure that you have documentation from Honda that shows why this needs to be done. They should know, but documentation never hurts.
If I put it through insurance, its a claim. Wanted to possibly avoid insurance to not have it affect rates. I see the windshield is 560, labor looks to be four hours in body shop which is 240 and then the 299 to program.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Something else to consider, Honda states you must use a Honda windshield to insure the camera works correctly. I know I have limited success with calibration on a non oem windshield, about 75% it fails to calibrate.

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
Well considering the purpose of the camera do you really want to try and DIY it? It's kind of like just grabbing some random guy off the street to service the 737 you're about to fly on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something else to consider, Honda states you must use a Honda windshield to insure the camera works correctly. I know I have limited success with calibration on a non oem windshield, about 75% it fails to calibrate.
YES. I am getting the OEM glass which I believe is Glass Set, Front Windshield (Green)(Pilkington) - Honda (73111-TG7-A23)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well considering the purpose of the camera do you really want to try and DIY it? It's kind of like just grabbing some random guy off the street to service the 737 you're about to fly on.
I totally agree. Thats why I inquired to the procedure. I wanted to see whats involved. Thought it might be me driving and going into a service menu where the computer does it automaticall.y

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just an FYI, we have a glass shop that orders pilkington, but not from Honda. He argues it the same, yet the camera won't calibrate. If it doesn't have Honda in the glass by the part #, it's not oem.

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
For me it's why I have comprehensive coverage. I am quite confident that if my windshield had to be replaced due to an unavoidable occurrence that damaged the windshield, IE: flying rock or some similar instance, then my insurance would cover it with out incident or raising of my rates.

On the other hand if they were replacing my windshield because I thought I could squeeze under that steel pipe that was sticking out 5 feet above the ground, or because I hit my thumb with a hammer and broke the windshield when I threw the hammer in anger, that might be another matter.

But then the only claim I have had in the last 45 years or so was from a rock that chipped my windshield and my insurance covered the repair with no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts