Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only one dealing with intermittent "jerks" (and sometimes clanks) when driving around the 30 mph range. (even in the 20s too.)

I've been to two dealerships - three different times. The last service advisor says Honda is aware of the problem and is working on a "fix," but that he doesn't know when it will be made available. When I called Honda North America to establish a case number, I got the run around. My service advisor and Honda NA supervisor (Kinesha - they don't give their last names) must be conspiring to not fix the car. My advisor said he found the problem and knows what it is, but he told the supervisor that I'm just not used to the 9-speed transmission.

Um, HELLO! I've had the car since Aug. 30 and the"jerks" only began two months ago. You'd think I would have noticed last year, eh?

My service advisor (apparently the last two) wrote that they'd didn't find anything wrong with my car - contrary to what both told me in person. Shame on me for not thoroughly reviewing the documents before taking my car home.

I can't trust anyone who wears that baby blue polo shirt.

I'm really stuck because no one will help me.

Kinesha told me the only thing I can do is to go back to the dealership. Seriously???? A third flipping time for this issue?

The problem is a nuisance and not a safety issue (yet), so maybe it's not a priority, but Honda knew their transmission was crappy. That's why they tweaked it for the 2019 refresh to fix the problems. They didn't do the job right. Shame on me again for buying into the reviews of the likes of Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book and Car & Driver who all said the transmission wasn't perfect, but that it was much better.

Oh, did I mention that my infotainment system has already crapped out (and thankfully) been replaced? I am involved in the class action lawsuit regarding this issue.

If you are experiencing these "jerks," please report it!!! The more of us who come forward the better.

I paid cash for this stupid car that has just over 14,000 miles on it. It should work better than this.

This is my first - AND LAST - Honda. Period.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Purchased my 2019 Touring 2WD in December and the transmission performed flawlessly. I even took a trip to NorCal and back and it was flawless. At around 4,000, I had my 1st oil change and as I left the dealer and merged onto the boulevard, I felt the 1st Hick-up, or jerk as noted above. I was late for an appointment so I couldn't return to the dealer. It has been doing this on and off somewhere between 4th and 6th gears. I took it back to the dealer last week and left it for them to check out. A few hours later, I get a text from the service writer stating Great News! Your repair has been completed. I called and was told that everything check out. Since I have the Hondalink app, I pushed back and questioned how it could be fixed if it hadn't been driven. After that exchange, the service manager and not the tech put five miles on the car and could not detect the problem. What a disappointment. I find it strange that it first happened after leaving the dealer for an oil change service. At first I thought may be a vacuum hose or something got knocked loose. My jerking only happenes when I an lifting up on the throttle during low speed driving. Like releasing the throttle at 35 MPH and letting of the gas for a red light or. Diappointing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '19 touring has about 10K miles. Seems to happen when I accelerate up to 25-35 mph (normal driving) and release the throttle. I also have a 2016 Acura MDX with the same 9 speed transmission. It has 50K miles and does the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ours does the same, at the same speeds '19 9sp touring. I also notice coasting at neighborhood speeds seems to really drag, like it downshifts too early and slows down the car. Also an occasional noise when upshifting (4th-5th I think) that sounds similar to a high pitched owl going 'whooo'

·
Registered
171 Posts
I hear that same high pitched noise every now-and-then in our '16 Touring. I thought I was just hearing things!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I concur with the low speed or reduce pedal pressure jerk. Otherwise, it's fine. If I forge that I am shooting for over 20 MPG in the city and drive with a little more gusto, all is fine. The freeway is fine as well. Slightly annoying but otherwise the car is fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know I'm not the only one dealing with intermittent "jerks" (and sometimes clanks) when driving around the 30 mph range. (even in the 20s too.)

I've been to two dealerships - three different times. The last service advisor says Honda is aware of the problem and is working on a "fix," but that he doesn't know when it will be made available. When I called Honda North America to establish a case number, I got the run around. My service advisor and Honda NA supervisor (Kinesha - they don't give their last names) must be conspiring to not fix the car. My advisor said he found the problem and knows what it is, but he told the supervisor that I'm just not used to the 9-speed transmission.

Um, HELLO! I've had the car since Aug. 30 and the"jerks" only began two months ago. You'd think I would have noticed last year, eh?

My service advisor (apparently the last two) wrote that they'd didn't find anything wrong with my car - contrary to what both told me in person. Shame on me for not thoroughly reviewing the documents before taking my car home.

Kinesha told me the only thing I can do is to go back to the dealership. Seriously???? A third flipping time for this issue?

The problem is a nuisance and not a safety issue (yet), so maybe it's not a priority, but Honda knew their transmission was crappy. That's why they tweaked it for the 2019 refresh to fix the problems. They didn't do the job right. Shame on me again for buying into the reviews of the likes of Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book and Car & Driver who all said the transmission wasn't perfect, but that it was much better.

Oh, did I mention that my infotainment system has already crapped out (and thankfully) been replaced? I am involved in the class action lawsuit regarding this issue.

If you are experiencing these "jerks," please report it!!! The more of us who come forward the better.

I paid cash for this stupid car that has just over 14,000 miles on it. It should work better than this.

I bought a '19 touring in August 2018 and have the same issue in 30-35MPH range. I took it to the dealer yesterday to get an answer. They drove ~4 miles and told it is normal for CVT to behave this way since it is breaking in and learns the driver behavior over time. I was very disappointed to hear this and am no longer considering any Honda as future vehicle. I typically buy base model or the one above base and am regretting buying the touring trim.

I will be writing about my experience to Honda corporate... unless Touring/Elite owners let Honda know about this, I don't see any resolution :(

I read on this forum about some owners talking about some update for transmission from Honda. Dealership denied knowledge of any such update... they were only aware of head unit software fix.

Thoughts/Comments are welcome!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a '19 touring in August 2018 and have the same issue in 30-35MPH range. I took it to the dealer yesterday to get an answer. They drove ~4 miles and told it is normal for CVT to behave this way since it is breaking in and learns the driver behavior over time. I was very disappointed to hear this and am no longer considering any Honda as future vehicle. I typically buy base model or the one above base and am regretting buying the touring trim.

I will be writing about my experience to Honda corporate... unless Touring/Elite owners let Honda know about this, I don't see any resolution :(

I read on this forum about some owners talking about some update for transmission from Honda. Dealership denied knowledge of any such update... they were only aware of head unit software fix.

Thoughts/Comments are welcome!
If they truly used CVT in this conversation that is concerning as the ZF 9 SPD is NOT a CVT! The CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) is used in other Honda models but not the Pilots. The ZF 9 is a learning transmission and they say you should drive it both aggressively and lightly so that is can learn the shift points for your particular driving habits. It is possible for it to learn "bad habits" so for the people who complain about the shifting (Not the dog clutch shift points) I wonder if the car is used by two different drivers on a normal basis. Also for anyone having these issues, have they done a ECU reset or not. I don't recall seeing anyone say they are having these issues and an ECU reset did not fix it.

Now back to the Dog Clutch shift points. Between 4th and 5th and then again between 8th and 9th, the transmission has to go into neutral for a brief second while the dog clutch is activated. This will cause a slower shift and if you watch the TAC, a small RPM spike during the up shift. The same process happens for the downshift and these two shift points are what a lot of complaints are regarding. The computer is adjusting the engine output during these shifts so depending on how sensitive you are to this will determine if you feel it is an issue or not. Here is a good write up on how the transmission works. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/zfs-9-speed-9hp-transmission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/

This isn't saying that there aren't other issues that truly are not normal to the transmission but there are a lot of people who just don't know about the design of this transmission and think there is an issue with these shift points when it really is just how it works. Honda could do a better job in its programming of the overall shift points with the transmission but overall I am pretty happy with mine so far. I live in a hilly area so I actually like the "drag" that others have mentioned when coasting as I don't have to use my brakes as much as my other cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the 9 speed transmission. I traded in my '17 Touring AWD for a 2019 Elite. Based solely on my experience, the small mods to the transmission is better on the '19 but not perfect. There are still some quirky and jerky moments but he amount of these annoyances has been drastically reduced. I can tell a big difference on the smoothness when the gears shifts. The paddle shifters changes the gears when I use them on the '19. On the '17, there would be a small delay before an up or down shift. For me, the move from a '17 to a '19 was well worth it b/c I felt the '17 transmission would go out right after my warranty expired. My dream wish is for Honda to take the 2.0T and 10 spd CVT from the Accord and put it in the Pilot. I have a '18 Accord 2.0T Touring too and it's a delight to drive with that turbo in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2019 Touring AWD definitely hunts when shifting. I'm not really happy with it. Since all reports indicated the 2019 transmission was "retuned" for smoother performance, I wonder just how awful the 2018 must have been. (I do miss the stick shift from my 1997 4Runner, which I drove for 22 years before getting the Pilot.)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi There,
I experienced the same thing on my 2019 pilot touring after 4000mi. Recently I noticed that if i do not connect my iphone to the car infotainment system(via usb) the shifting is much smoother. You can still listen to music on your phone using bluetooth and that does not seem to cause any problems. Please try this for a week and let us know if you notice any difference.
Thanks
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
If they truly used CVT in this conversation that is concerning as the ZF 9 SPD is NOT a CVT! The CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) is used in other Honda models but not the Pilots. The ZF 9 is a learning transmission and they say you should drive it both aggressively and lightly so that is can learn the shift points for your particular driving habits. It is possible for it to learn "bad habits" so for the people who complain about the shifting (Not the dog clutch shift points) I wonder if the car is used by two different drivers on a normal basis. Also for anyone having these issues, have they done a ECU reset or not. I don't recall seeing anyone say they are having these issues and an ECU reset did not fix it.

Now back to the Dog Clutch shift points. Between 4th and 5th and then again between 8th and 9th, the transmission has to go into neutral for a brief second while the dog clutch is activated. This will cause a slower shift and if you watch the TAC, a small RPM spike during the up shift. The same process happens for the downshift and these two shift points are what a lot of complaints are regarding. The computer is adjusting the engine output during these shifts so depending on how sensitive you are to this will determine if you feel it is an issue or not. Here is a good write up on how the transmission works. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/zfs-9-speed-9hp-transmission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/

This isn't saying that there aren't other issues that truly are not normal to the transmission but there are a lot of people who just don't know about the design of this transmission and think there is an issue with these shift points when it really is just how it works. Honda could do a better job in its programming of the overall shift points with the transmission but overall I am pretty happy with mine so far. I live in a hilly area so I actually like the "drag" that others have mentioned when coasting as I don't have to use my brakes as much as my other cars.
Hi There,
Can you please let us know how one can reset the car's ECU on 2019 pilot touring/elite. I had no problems with the transmission for the first 4000mi but after that and after I took the car to the dealer for unrelated issues (noisy breaks and unstable ide engine rpm which both turned out to be normal according to the dealer) I started to have jerking when going from D4 to D5 occasionally. I personally love the 9 speed and chose the touring over the exl because of the smoother shifting and acceleration.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi There,
Can you please let us know how one can reset the car's ECU on 2019 pilot touring/elite. I had no problems with the transmission for the first 4000mi but after that and after I took the car to the dealer for unrelated issues (noisy breaks and unstable ide engine rpm which both turned out to be normal according to the dealer) I started to have jerking when going from D4 to D5 occasionally. I personally love the 9 speed and chose the touring over the exl because of the smoother shifting and acceleration.
This was written for an older model but the procedure and warnings still applies.
http://bestride.com/research/car-doctor/car-doctor-qa-sometimes-a-honda-pilot-needs-a-reboot

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
After reading the various threads about the ZF 9-speed, I decided to take a nice long drive tonight in my week-old '19 Elite to see if I could experience any issues. I didn't expect to, as I only have 330 miles on it now.

I took about a 40 mile drive through a mix of driving conditions to see what if I could experience any of these issues. I drove around town a little, stop and go traffic. Took a rural highway (speed limit 60) for about 15 miles.

Then I decided to take some of the dirt roads in the upper part of the county (now she needs a wash tomorrow) to cut over to the toll highway on the other side of the county. I came down the toll road at 75+ most of the way, then back home through very light traffic on the state road (speed limit 50-55 with a fair number of traffic lights).

I didn't experience anything of note, but am going to keep an eye on it. My wife is going to drive it more than I do, because I have a company vehicle for work. But, I will make a habit of driving it at least once a week so I'll know if anything changes.

I hope Honda rectifies this for the folks having issues. They should be better than this.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had 2019 Pilot touring. current only around 6k miles... the infotainment system is shitty...apply play on or off randomly, and sometimes no sound at all. But that's not too important for me. As long, I turn off the bluetooth, the problem seem solved. So I am driving with Bluetooth off. But I notice loud cracking or popping sound from speaker. First I thought it was something hit on my windsheld. But later I found out the sound was randomly came out from speaker.
Another issue is the transmission. The first 1 to 2 gear is not function well. I could feel the power suddently draw back in between gear 1 to 2. I could driving maybe 20-30 mph, then suddenly feel someone hit the break hard for me to slow me down.

I didnt bother to go dealer to check to waste my time and get all kinda bullshit..Is there any recall or class action against this shitty Honda Pilot?? How did these cars even pass the test to release to market!!

When I choice Highland vs Pilot, I insist pilot over highland against my wife's choice. I am totally regard it.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
my e-mail: [email protected]

Thank you.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Same with my 2019 EXL. Heard clanking underneath once i took my foot off the gas and decelerating. The service advisor on my area told me its normal because they tested a pilot and has the same noise and wasn't a safety or drivabilty issue. I am having a second thought of buying a pilot again. Maybe i will try a KIA or Toyota next time.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Outstanding article. Along with the ZF 9 speed videos on YouTube this explains a lot about what is going on in this transmission.
Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I have watched the video. Thanks for posting it. However, why we did not feel the 4th to 5th gear shift for the first few thousand miles. In my case the first 4000 miles. Also in my case if i drive the car in the morning for the first 10-20 min all the shifting is very smooth (especially 4th to 5th gear) no matter how I drive the car but after that it is a nightmare. Especially if I drive the car for 15 min and turn it off and park it for 5 min and then drive it again. It is a completely different transmission for the second drive and the 4th to 5th gear change is very jerky. In my case, Honda first admitted that there was a problem and reset the transmission to "ideal relearn" (after i took it there 3 times) but that did not fix the problem. Now they don't know what is going on and are claiming that everything is normal. My friend has a Chrysler van that has the same 9 speed transmission and he said that the transmission was very smooth til it broke down after only 3.5 years and they had to replace it (probably with a rebuilt) and now the transmission is giving them a hard time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts