Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the Pilot 13 months and just noticed today the drivers tail light, above the backup light, on the tail gate, not quarter panel is out. I called the dealer and they said WOW! This is only the second one they have ever seen do that, and it would cost $395 to replace the whole unit. No other serviceable parts, requires the whole unit. WHAT! This is a terrible design! Obviously there has to be a factory defect on this one. Otherwise who would design a light unit like that, at that cost? It's obvious it is not meant to be a routine owner expense. Only would normally be replaceable during collision repair, right? What should I do? What Honda complaint office can I contact? Should I ask dealer to do something? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle? The 3/36 warranty should cover the repair If you’re under 36K. If you’re outside the warranty, ask the dealer to lobby Honda for a goodwill repair. ThATs the problem with LED lights. Instead of $2 for a new bulb, its hundreds for a light assembly. Look up the cost of a LED headlight assembly ....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Would it be covered by the 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?

I doubt Honda makes the light assembly.....a Honda selected OEM does. One would think Honda would cover it and go back against the OEM. Who knows.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Preston Pappaw 20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles on the vehicle? The 3/36 warranty should cover the repair If you’re under 36K. If you’re outside the warranty, ask the dealer to lobby Honda for a goodwill repair. ThATs the problem with LED lights. Instead of $2 for a new bulb, its hundreds for a light assembly. Look up the cost of a LED headlight assembly ....
I will definitely talk to them tomorrow about that. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
592 Posts
My assumption unless there is physical damage somewhere on the light housing or rear of the vehicle it should be covered under the original warranty.

If there's more than a scratch you're probably hosed.

I would double check the connection and any fuses.

Also having played a similar game with a BMW 330i, rear tail light housing.... also LED.

Originally I bought an OEM one online and the color and illuminisity of the LEDs were different from stock. I ended up having to return it and buy original BMW equipment. Thankfully I found an exact match on ebay.

Just keep in mind, if you buy one that's not Honda, make sure you can return it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally I bought an OEM one online and the color and illuminisity of the LEDs were different from stock. I ended up having to return it and buy original BMW equipment. Thankfully I found an exact match on ebay.
I'm guessing you mean non-OEM, or it should've been the same as buying it from the dealer, right?

OP -- agreed with others that this should be a warranty issue unless it was physically damaged from something.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have had the Pilot 13 months and just noticed today the drivers tail light, above the backup light, on the tail gate, not quarter panel is out. I called the dealer and they said WOW! This is only the second one they have ever seen do that, and it would cost $395 to replace the whole unit. No other serviceable parts, requires the whole unit. WHAT! This is a terrible design! Obviously there has to be a factory defect on this one. Otherwise who would design a light unit like that, at that cost? It's obvious it is not meant to be a routine owner expense. Only would normally be replaceable during collision repair, right? What should I do? What Honda complaint office can I contact? Should I ask dealer to do something? Thanks in advance. View attachment 144249
Back it into a wall? ... no wait , don't do that.

The whole tailgate innerds are subject to water intrusion since most of it sits outside the weather seal. Leds rarely fail so it's possible water got in and corroded a connector or wire. Also the hinge line where the wire harness goes through to feed the lights, locks, lift motor, et all is susceptible to more wear and tear than the rest of the harness. Do you have any way of knowing if the dealer really checked that before pronouncing the whole thing dead?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Years ago I was stupid and bought a $hitty Volvo. It had nothing but problems (electrical, failed transmission, steering....) Anyhow, the taillights were LED and failed in the first or second year. Dealer replaced under warranty. I'd assume most automakers have similar factory warranty. Hope your issue is covered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts