Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this here due to more activity than the audio forum. After doing some research I decided to upgrade my sound system. The first item was the subwoofer. I found various pictures from 3rd gen Pilots along with different sub options that worked. Everything I found though appeared to be from 2016 to 2018 model years though.

I picked up a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 and had at it this weekend. Low and behold, the sub for 2019 looks different. This one is a true enclosed box, with decent space for it's size. I also found out that the 2019 sub is a dual 2 ohm sub, making the TS-SW2002D2 a "perfect" fit.

There was one issue though. Inside the enclosure is some honeycomb design. I'm not sure if this is for strength or sound, but I had to break part of it out to make the sub physically fit. I then used some of the weatherstrip around the rim to make the sub sealed and threw everything back together.

Overall I think it sounds better. There seems to be deeper, clearer bass without taking up extra space or running more wires to the back (for now). Eventually I may run a small amp back there to really power this sub. :grin:

Oh, and I'm installing Dynamat all around too, but that's been a slow process.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
so you are powering that new aftermarket sub with the stock amp?

EDIT: just reread it and looks like you are.

Like you said, you might as well power it with a real amp, bet the stock amp sucks even in the upgraded one of the touring and elite because I have one and the sound is just underwhelming for being "upgraded'

and you already gutted it so might as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect when I took it apart. I was quite surprised to even find a real enclosure and not that weird open air thing like the 16s-18s have.

Once I get done doing the doors I may look into hiding a small amp somewhere back there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect when I took it apart. I was quite surprised to even find a real enclosure and not that weird open air thing like the 16s-18s have.

Once I get done doing the doors I may look into hiding a small amp somewhere back there.
Ya, the 2019 audio system was upgraded. There is tons of bass now, even in the standard trims.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So, the new 2019 Panasonic sub-woofer unit sounds better than the old Alpine sub-woofer unit I have in my 2016 Touring? Interesting ... I may have to keep an eye out for one from a totaled 2019 Pilot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the new 2019 Panasonic sub-woofer unit sounds better than the old Alpine sub-woofer unit I have in my 2016 Touring? Interesting ... I may have to keep an eye out for one from a totaled 2019 Pilot.
Physically it should fit but I think it may be wired differently. The Crutchfield instructions I have list the subwoofer as only having 2 wires, but mine had 4.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You mentioned that the 2019 is a dual 2ohm voice coil sub? Was it wired in series or parallel? I think a mono channel wired in series it would be 4ohm and parallel would drop it to 1ohm. I believe the 2016 sub is single voice-coil and I thought someone said it was 2ohm. I wonder if there are more changes to the system than just the subwoofer ...:unsure:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mentioned that the 2019 is a dual 2ohm voice coil sub? Was it wired in series or parallel? I think a mono channel wired in series it would be 4ohm and parallel would drop it to 1ohm. I believe the 2016 sub is single voice-coil and I thought someone said it was 2ohm. I wonder if there are more changes to the system than just the subwoofer ...:unsure:
I’m not sure. There’s a 4 wire connector coming in to the sub and then 4 separate wires actually connected to the sub.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did the stock woofer have markings on it identifying specs? Does anyone have pics of any markings on a 2016 woofer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m going out of town this week, but I’ll try and take some pics of the sub markings when I get back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is replacing the stock amp even possible? I thought the 2019's use a MOST Bus network to connect all media components (tuner, info screen, amp, cd player, etc.). This means the stock amp is actually a DAC/AMP as there has to be something to decode the digital signals coming in over the MOST bus. In addition, replacing it would mean you'd need an AMP with the MOST NIC, no?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not sure about replacing the stock amp but I'm interested in swapping the stock sub with one from a 2019 Pilot if it is a better unit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im not sure how I missed this thread.

Thank you OP.....

Now that you've had it for multiple months are you still satisfied?
I have no interest in a separate sub woofer but would like the improve the clarity on the bass.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Posting this here due to more activity than the audio forum. After doing some research I decided to upgrade my sound system. The first item was the subwoofer. I found various pictures from 3rd gen Pilots along with different sub options that worked. Everything I found though appeared to be from 2016 to 2018 model years though.

I picked up a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 and had at it this weekend. Low and behold, the sub for 2019 looks different. This one is a true enclosed box, with decent space for it's size. I also found out that the 2019 sub is a dual 2 ohm sub, making the TS-SW2002D2 a "perfect" fit.

There was one issue though. Inside the enclosure is some honeycomb design. I'm not sure if this is for strength or sound, but I had to break part of it out to make the sub physically fit. I then used some of the weatherstrip around the rim to make the sub sealed and threw everything back together.

Overall I think it sounds better. There seems to be deeper, clearer bass without taking up extra space or running more wires to the back (for now). Eventually I may run a small amp back there to really power this sub. ?

Oh, and I'm installing Dynamat all around too, but that's been a slow process.
Also where can I find instructions on the tear down? And about how long did it take?

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took the plunge, bought the 2019 subwoofer box new from Honda, for installation in my 2016 Elite.

The new box came with the an oem sub installed. There's a subwoofer box bracket that Honda sells to secure the right side of the box to the frame behind the taillights.

As for the sub box mount on the left side, it doesn't match up to the 2016 frame as the threaded stud isn't welded in the correct spot on the 2016. So I zip tied that side to the quarter panel. The 2 bolts on the right side is secure enough. The zip tie keeps it from moving back and forth.

2019 box has 4 wires exiting the box, 2019 stock box is dvc, more than likely 2ohms each.

2016 stock sub is single voice Coil. With VERY thin wires going to it. The 2019 wires were noticeably thicker.

2016 had a 10" sub, open air, shame, could've been soo much more.

Anyway, removed oem sub from 2019 box, installed a Rockford Fosgate 8" punch series, 4 ohm dvc sub.

I previously ran this sub in my 2017 Civic Type R, ran it off the stock Amp, Stock box, just added polyfil. Sounded great for what it was.

Having said that I had hoped for similar results.

So, cut out the honeycomb sections inside the 2019 sub box, added polyfil, wired the Rockford in parallel to make 2ohm resistance. I added clear silicone around the grommet for the wire exit of the box.

Wired it up,.... It worked, sadly, only about a 10-20% improvement over the 2016 setup.

Needless to say I was disappointed.

No air leaks, sub was flexing (moving), it just seemed as though not enough power was getting to it.

I disconnected the ANC by pulling the connector behind the glove BOX.

As I said, I ran this same setup in my 2017 CTR, it sounded absolutely AMAZING!!

It's my suspicion that Honda has purposely lowered the overall wattage being sent to the subwoofer in the Pilot in the head unit software.

2019 sub box is a great idea, just run a small Amp and you should be good.

No expert, that's my experience.

No directions either, I just found ways to get this done.

Don't be afraid to explore. With quarantine, there's plenty of time to knock this out if you desire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts