Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2019 Pilot won't start every once in a while

17K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Jess75 
#1 ·
My 2019 Honda Pilot will not start after sitting for several days. I have to wait about 15 mins, than it starts. I have put new batteries in the key fob and I still have this problem from time to time and I never know when it will happen.

Dealer says there is nothing wrong, but of course there must be a problem as a new Honda should start every time.

If you have had this problem, please advise if there is a solution...Thank you.
Mediawade, Chesapeake, VA

#2 · (Edited)
key FOB has nothing to do with the starting of the vehicle.
Unless you meant "Remote Starter"

My 2019 Honda Pilot will not start after sitting for several days. I have to wait about 15 mins, than it starts. I have put new batteries in the key fob and I still have this problem from time to time and I never know when it will happen.

Dealer says there is nothing wrong, but of course there must be a problem as a new Honda should start every time.
That "dealer" has brain dead technicians ?

What do you do for "15 minutes" ?
Put the key in and turn to | or || position ?
Sing to the vehicle for 15 minutes ?
Give the vehicle a bath ?

#3 ·
Have you left the vehicle with the dealer for several days? It is hard to diagnose and issue if you can't replicate the issue. If they can't replicate the issue then to them it is fine.

Also define "won't start." Does that mean it will crank but not fire up or does that mean zip, zero, nada, nothing happens at all, no noise, no crank, nothing?

#7 ·
First thought, check all the ground connections, fuse connections and starter connections. Second thought, starter beginning to fail.

I had a starter that did the same thing for a while on another vehicle, try it, nothing, go back a few minutes later it would start. One day, nothing, a few minutes later, nothing, a few hours later, nothing. New starter under warranty. Problem solved. Good luck with the issue.

#11 ·
OK, back from the Honda dealer and they are replacing the alternator. Not sure if that is THE problem as way my Pilot will not start every once i n a while, but it's a start...:rolleyes: And BTW, the service Dept told me they got the last one from the warehouse in NJ, so maybe that says something....
TBC...

#18 ·
Just a little over a week ago somebody posted with what sounds like the exact same issue. They only posted this thread then never came back but maybe if you reply to it they will answer if they found a resolution

#19 ·
Have you seen this Service Bulletin:
Service Bulletin 20-117

Warranty Extension: 2016-2017 Pilot and 2017 Ridgeline Keyless Start System Error with DTC B12C5
Honda to extend warranty on these vehicles to 9 years from the original date of purchase or 125,000 miles

The vehicle may not start upon first press of the Start/Start button
Corrective Action: Replace the Engine Start/Stop switch.

This SR was dated Dec. 9, 2020

My 2020 EX-L has do this a couple of times. I keep a copy of the Original SR just in case.
Hope this helps, let us know.

#20 ·
Hello I am an owner of a 2019 Honda pilot ELX, so far made month of June in the same week, the truck failed to start with the key FOB, it cranked and just died back down, I also went inside and push the push to start button and it was a bit slow on the crank as well before it turned on, Any ideas or suggestions on what to do next? Dealership maybe?

#22 ·
This sounds very much like the same issue I am having recurrently on my 2019 P Elite. Happened again last night. I have talked to the dealer a couple of times about it but to no avail. the scenario is as follows;
1. have Fob, get in drivers seat.
2. Driver Door Closed
3. In Park /Brake Pedal Applied
4. Push Start /Stop
5. All instrument and Dash lights illuminate, Speedo and Tach go full range, return to "0" (indication to me that everything passed self test, (my guess anyway)
6. Instrument panel appears normal
7. No START response what so ever.
8. Instrument Panel responds with " To Start, Press Brake Pedal and push Start /Stop (Already Done step 3 & 4 Above)
9. Pushing Start / Stop ONLY turns all POWER OFF

Wait a bit and repeat above and will start.

IMPORTANT NOTE Wife has indicated to me that the Brake Pedal does not depress as it does when it works normally (indicates its hard). Initially I thought this was just her not understanding the difference in feeling of the brake when the engine is running (boosted brake) and when it's off. However, she has since told me that she can predict when it isn't going to start before she even tries it by the feel of the Brake pedal.

Last nights incident happened as usual, and had been about 6 weeks since the prior time. The indications were all the same as indicated above. She also indicated the Brake Pedal Pushed Hard at this time. After she tried the sequence again with no success I decided to take a look under the dash and see if I could see the brake light switch (Not sure whether that is what controls the signal for "Brake Pedal Applied" during the start sequence or not) or to see if there was another switch on the brake mounting that may control this. I could not see any of the switches but decide to try this instead. I initiated the above start sequence again up through step 8, the Instrument Panel responds with " To Start, Press Brake Pedal and push Start/Stop. I pushed harder on the brake pedal by hand and the giggled the brake pedal side to side 3 or 4 times while still holding it down. Then pushed the Start / Stop switch and it started normally.
I spoke to the dealer service writer today about this and queried him as to whether the brake light switch is a SPST (Single Pole / Single Throw) switch or if it could happen to be a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw switch. He indicated that it was a single SPST switch that controlled both functions, Brake Lights AND Brake Applied for Start Switching. I wasn't sure that was the correct answer so I did a little investigation on the switch itself and found that the direct replacements being sold at parts houses are DPDT. Now knowing that there is more than one function that has to be controlled with the Brake Pedal Application, ( at least 3 I can think of off the top of my head, 1. Brake Lights, 2. Brake Applied for Start, and 3. Cruise Control Cancelling ).

My suspicion is that this switch may be the culprit and have an intermittent contact in it or a misadjustment that is causing the starting malfunction. Not having all the Schematics and Theory of operation of this system limits how deep I can go on diagnosing this problem.

My next move is to have the dealer check it out in the near future and talk directly to the technician if possible, or wait for the issue to happen again and see if Jiggling the Brake pedal again solve the issue.

If you are having a similar issue I would suggest trying the Jiggling the Brake pedal and see if it lets the vehicle start

#23 ·
This sounds very much like the same issue I am having recurrently on my 2019 P Elite. Happened again last night. I have talked to the dealer a couple of times about it but to no avail. the scenario is as follows; 1. have Fob, get in drivers seat. 2. Driver Door Closed 3. In Park /Brake Pedal Applied 4. Push Start /Stop 5. All instrument and Dash lights illuminate, Speedo and Tach go full range, return to "0" (indication to me that everything passed self test, (my guess anyway) 6. Instrument panel appears normal 7. No START response what so ever. 8. Instrument Panel responds with " To Start, Press Brake Pedal and push Start /Stop (Already Done step 3 & 4 Above) 9. Pushing Start / Stop ONLY turns all POWER OFF Wait a bit and repeat above and will start. IMPORTANT NOTE Wife has indicated to me that the Brake Pedal does not depress as it does when it works normally (indicates its hard). Initially I thought this was just her not understanding the difference in feeling of the brake when the engine is running (boosted brake) and when it's off. However, she has since told me that she can predict when it isn't going to start before she even tries it by the feel of the Brake pedal. Last nights incident happened as usual, and had been about 6 weeks since the prior time. The indications were all the same as indicated above. She also indicated the Brake Pedal Pushed Hard at this time. After she tried the sequence again with no success I decided to take a look under the dash and see if I could see the brake light switch (Not sure whether that is what controls the signal for "Brake Pedal Applied" during the start sequence or not) or to see if there was another switch on the brake mounting that may control this. I could not see any of the switches but decide to try this instead. I initiated the above start sequence again up through step 8, the Instrument Panel responds with " To Start, Press Brake Pedal and push Start/Stop. I pushed harder on the brake pedal by hand and the giggled the brake pedal side to side 3 or 4 times while still holding it down. Then pushed the Start / Stop switch and it started normally. I spoke to the dealer service writer today about this and queried him as to whether the brake light switch is a SPST (Single Pole / Single Throw) switch or if it could happen to be a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw switch. He indicated that it was a single SPST switch that controlled both functions, Brake Lights AND Brake Applied for Start Switching. I wasn't sure that was the correct answer so I did a little investigation on the switch itself and found that the direct replacements being sold at parts houses are DPDT. Now knowing that there is more than one function that has to be controlled with the Brake Pedal Application, ( at least 3 I can think of off the top of my head, 1. Brake Lights, 2. Brake Applied for Start, and 3. Cruise Control Cancelling ). My suspicion is that this switch may be the culprit and have an intermittent contact in it or a misadjustment that is causing the starting malfunction. Not having all the Schematics and Theory of operation of this system limits how deep I can go on diagnosing this problem. My next move is to have the dealer check it out in the near future and talk directly to the technician if possible, or wait for the issue to happen again and see if Jiggling the Brake pedal again solve the issue. If you are having a similar issue I would suggest trying the Jiggling the Brake pedal and see if it lets the vehicle start
Is your Pilot still doing this? This happens to me as well. Happened twice this week in fact. But then won’t happen again. Have had the battery tested and they it’s fine. It has the original battery so I’m tempted to get it changed before we take a long trip. I’m worried about getting stranded. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated!!!

#25 ·
This same thing is happening to me. My mechanic can not figure out what is causing it and actually suggested I get online and see what I could find. Anyone have anything that actually worked? I feel like it is in the brake system since when it finally started it did flash a brake system warning, but it doesn't come up with you read the codes to see what is happening with the car. I have replaced the battery 2 times in the last 3 years of owning my 2019 Touring Pilot. I really do not think it is the battery.