Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 2019 Pilot Touring 2WD since 8/30/18. Since then, my infotainment system has had to be replaced and now, I’ve noticed some scary transmission problems.

The car will jerk - not every time - when gears change, almost always in the 20 and 30 mph. When I coast, sometimes the car feels like it automatically slows down in a different way than a normal coast.

Sometimes the jerk will be followed by a slight slowing down.

I’m taking it in tomorrow.

I thought Honda tweaked the 9-speed so that it won’t hunt for gears anymore. I’m
beginning to think that the car still has transmission issues.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I’ve had my 2019 Pilot Touring 2WD since 8/30/18. Since then, my infotainment system has had to be replaced and now, I’ve noticed some scary transmission problems.

The car will jerk - not every time - when gears change, almost always in the 20 and 30 mph. When I coast, sometimes the car feels like it automatically slows down in a different way than a normal coast.

Sometimes the jerk will be followed by a slight slowing down.

I’m taking it in tomorrow.

I thought Honda tweaked the 9-speed so that it won’t hunt for gears anymore. I’m
beginning to think that the car still has transmission issues.

Your thoughts?
on my 15 i know it sounds silly but the garbage can on wheels with the H symbol will do the same when i need to swap out my tranny fluid...just real quick when your pilot is warmed up check the trans fluid level to make sure your at the correct level

·
Banned
70 Posts
Sounds like you have it in "sport mode" -- they'll be an S instead of a D lit up right below your speedometer. It's very easy to accidentally put it in sport mode - if you hold down the D selector button just a second too long when switching out park it goes into it. In regular mode I find this transmission to be the smoothest I've ever driven.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I think the "S" is for manual shift mode not sporty mode?
The car still shifts automatically in sport mode- the shifts are just more harsh and sport oriented. I believe you can use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel at any time not just in sport mode.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The car still shifts automatically in sport mode- the shifts are just more harsh and sport oriented. I believe you can use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel at any time not just in sport mode.
You SHOULD use the paddle shifters when in sports mode even though like you rightly pointed out, Honda and other automakers designed a safety feature to allow it shift automatically when in that mode as well. But there'd obviously be a drag or inefficiency if you're supposed to shift the gears using the paddles and you're not. In a sense, sports mode is when you eat your cake and still want to have it with an automatic transmission - hangover from the manual transmission days. It allows folks who like to be in control shift their gears without a clutch.

"I thought Honda tweaked the 9-speed so that it won’t hunt for gears anymore. I’m
beginning to think that the car still has transmission issues."

Yes Honda tweaked the 9-speed and it no longer hunts for gears - you more than likely have an isolated case. Mine drives smoothly.

·
Banned
70 Posts
You SHOULD use the paddle shifters when in sports mode even though like you rightly pointed out, Honda and other automakers designed a safety feature to allow it shift automatically when in that mode as well. But there'd obviously be a drag or inefficiency if you're supposed to shift the gears using the paddles and you're not. In a sense, sports mode is when you eat your cake and still want to have it with an automatic transmission - hangover from the manual transmission days. It allows folks who like to be in control shift their gears without a clutch.

"I thought Honda tweaked the 9-speed so that it won’t hunt for gears anymore. I’m
beginning to think that the car still has transmission issues."

Yes Honda tweaked the 9-speed and it no longer hunts for gears - you more than likely have an isolated case. Mine drives smoothly.

Hi Stride, It's not a requirement to use the paddle shifters when in sports mode - the car still shifts on its own @ regular intervals. When you engage the paddle shifters it simply holds each gear for as long as you want before a manual upshift (or downshift). Not the same as true manual but still fun and engaging!

Here's what the owners manual has to say about it:

"Drive /S Position(D)(D/S): Press the (D) button to put the vehicle in Drive. Release the electric parking brake to begin driving. Used for normal driving (D) or driving in Sport mode (S). Press D/S once for normal driving. Press D/S twice for Sport mode driving. A green indicator appears. Make sure the electric parking brake is released."

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi Stride, It's not a requirement to use the paddle shifters when in sports mode - the car still shifts on its own @ regular intervals. When you engage the paddle shifters it simply holds each gear for as long as you want before a manual upshift (or downshift). Not the same as true manual but still fun and engaging!

Here's what the owners manual has to say about it:

"Drive /S Position(D)(D/S): Press the (D) button to put the vehicle in Drive. Release the electric parking brake to begin driving. Used for normal driving (D) or driving in Sport mode (S). Press D/S once for normal driving. Press D/S twice for Sport mode driving. A green indicator appears. Make sure the electric parking brake is released."
Hmmm...that may need a bit more researching. There's a reason I put 'should' in upper case. It is true that Honda has placed mechanisms in place to prevent you from killing the transmission if you fail to use the paddle shifters but they are not there for cosmetic purposes. I have driven in this mode without using the paddles before thinking I put it in snow mode as it was snowing. No harm to the transmission because Honda engineered redline limits. But the vehicle is second guessing me as it approaches each redline upshift and takes action when I don't concluding I may be an idiot. Activating Sport Mode shifts control ideally to paddle-shifter control and is actually sequential - meaning a sequence needs to be maintained. Sport mode is not aggressive auto drive mode - it still should be supported by a semi-manual operation ideally but it won't die without it.

"The 9-speed Sport mode and shift logic that anticipates downhill gear changes, and can hold gears when cornering. Clicking the left paddle twice does a double downshift to make the most of the engine’s energetic thrust and sound. When you use the paddles one time, the transmission goes into manual mode for 30 seconds, before reverting back to automatic in order to save fuel. If you put it in Sport mode, the transmission stays in manual."(2017 Honda Pilot - NewCarTestDrive, 2019 Honda Pilot New Car Test Drive).

(First Drive: 2016 Honda Pilot)

·
Banned
70 Posts
Hmmm...that may need a bit more researching. There's a reason I put 'should' in upper case. It is true that Honda has placed mechanisms in place to prevent you from killing the transmission if you fail to use the paddle shifters but they are not there for cosmetic purposes. I have driven in this mode without using the paddles before thinking I put it in snow mode as it was snowing. No harm to the transmission because Honda engineered redline limits. But the vehicle is second guessing me as it approaches each redline upshift and takes action when I don't concluding I may be an idiot. Activating Sport Mode shifts control ideally to paddle-shifter control and is actually sequential - meaning a sequence needs to be maintained. Sport mode is not aggressive auto drive mode - it still should be supported by a semi-manual operation ideally but it won't die without it.

"The 9-speed Sport mode and shift logic that anticipates downhill gear changes, and can hold gears when cornering. Clicking the left paddle twice does a double downshift to make the most of the engine’s energetic thrust and sound. When you use the paddles one time, the transmission goes into manual mode for 30 seconds, before reverting back to automatic in order to save fuel. If you put it in Sport mode, the transmission stays in manual."(2017 Honda Pilot - NewCarTestDrive, 2019 Honda Pilot New Car Test Drive).

(First Drive: 2016 Honda Pilot)

Thanks for the links but they're all reviews from independent sites with no affiliation to Honda -there is no official documentation to claim there is any harm done by driving in sport mode w/o using the paddles – nor does the manual recommend guidelines on it. The only official Honda comments are in the manual which I quoted in my last post and in the Honda Information Center found here- Honda Information Center - 9-Speed Automatic Transmission with Paddle Shifters (Touring and Elite)

In sport mode the transmission shifts just fine driving slowly- it doesn't come anywhere near the engines redline before a shift unless forced to. If Honda didn't want people driving in sport mode w/o using the paddles they would state it somewhere.