Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Pilot EX-L fwd. Im planning a long distance move and am considering renting a u-haul trailer to tow from NJ to FL. I wanted the smaller 4x8 trailer but they're not available anywhere local to me so the smallest option is the 5x8. According to uhauls site if my tow rating is 3500lbs that would allow for 1800lbs cargo which I dont think i'll come close to. The majority of our stuff is going in storage w/ a moving company and this will just be used for our essentials during the move.

I plan on installing the hitch myself. I like oem the best because of the rear trim fit but wasn't sure about the harness. The will likely be one of the only times I tow so can I just go with a ~$60 harness from e-trailer vs the $200 oem harness?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about being fwd? What other issues if any could I run into on a one way trip of ~1200 miles. Is it worth considering the trans cooler?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have a 2019 Pilot EX-L fwd. Im planning a long distance move and am considering renting a u-haul trailer to tow from NJ to FL. I wanted the smaller 4x8 trailer but they're not available anywhere local to me so the smallest option is the 5x8. According to uhauls site if my tow rating is 3500lbs that would allow for 1800lbs cargo which I dont think i'll come close to. The majority of our stuff is going in storage w/ a moving company and this will just be used for our essentials during the move.

I plan on installing the hitch myself. I like oem the best because of the rear trim fit but wasn't sure about the harness. The will likely be one of the only times I tow so can I just go with a ~$60 harness from e-trailer vs the $200 oem harness?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about being fwd? What other issues if any could I run into on a one way trip of ~1200 miles. Is it worth considering the trans cooler?
I went the etrailer harness route and it works fine. Works, feels, smells and tastes like the oem version. Installation was straight forward on my 2012 as there were access doors to areas I needed to get to, but the 2019 isn't as DIY friendly so you may want to review the installation video before deciding if you might want to go the dealer route after all.

etrailer | Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness Installation - 2019 Honda Pilot - YouTube

Welcome to Florida! I came from Highland Park, via 3 years of grad school in Michigan to FL. I don't miss NJ.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
Our EX-Ls did not come with a transmission cooler from the factory. I would add one, regardless if towing or not. But yes, especially if towing. It would likely overheat.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
This pic will help if you go with a factory cooler.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your total weight towed including passengers and everything is under 3500lbs and you are making the trip in cool weather and....you won't be towing in the future I would not splurge on a tranny cooler. Keep your speed at/under 65mph and Honda says you should be fine. I have been towing 1700lbs with my 2017 EX every weekend in Florida for almost 4 years now with no issues. Mine is FWD as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, i am also planning to tow a 5x8 uhaul trailer loaded and with 4 people for a cross country trip. I have 2019 pilot touring awd. Did you add weight distribution hitch, brake controller etc? I am towing from California to Georgia and i am towing for first time. Can i load stuff in my car as well (3rd row folded). Please let me know of any other suggestions.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Hi, i am also planning to tow a 5x8 uhaul trailer loaded and with 4 people for a cross country trip. I have 2019 pilot touring awd. Did you add weight distribution hitch, brake controller etc? I am towing from California to Georgia and i am towing for first time. Can i load stuff in my car as well (3rd row folded). Please let me know of any other suggestions.
Please see owners manual. There is very detailed information on limits. None of which include a load distribution hitch.

Reactions: regnar123

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Thanks for responding.
That’s correct. I see in some forum’s people are suggesting to add even its not there in the manual.
Any other safety suggestions, please let me know.
A 5×8 trailer isn't very large. I'd, not be overly concerned with weight unless your hauling heavy items (not bulky). Certainly do not want to exceed the limitations directed in the owner's manual. My greatest concern is the transmission temperature over such a long distance in the middle of summer weather. You will be going through the desert. I'm assuming your vehicle is equipped with a transmission ATF cooler, but I'd want to monitor my transmission temperature. IMO, 215°F is about as hot as I'd want to see. If it begins to exceed this then I'd be finding another Uhaul rental place to rent a truck and put the wear and tear on their vehicle. Not my Pilot.

Reactions: regnar123

·
Registered
7 Posts
A 5×8 trailer isn't very large. I'd, not be overly concerned with weight unless your hauling heavy items (not bulky). Certainly do not want to exceed the limitations directed in the owner's manual. My greatest concern is the transmission temperature over such a long distance in the middle of summer weather. You will be going through the desert. I'm assuming your vehicle is equipped with a transmission ATF cooler, but I'd want to monitor my transmission temperature. IMO, 215°F is about as hot as I'd want to see. If it begins to exceed this then I'd be finding another Uhaul rental place to rent a truck and put the wear and tear on their vehicle. Not my Pilot.
Thank you! I am thinking of riding in short durations. I will monitor the temperature. do i need a brake controller? Can i load some stuff in my trunk as well?
Please suggest

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
652 Posts
Thank you! I am thinking of riding in short durations. I will monitor the temperature. do i need a brake controller? Can i load some stuff in my trunk as well?
Please suggest
I have not seen U-Haul trailers that have electric brake connections so you shouldn't need that. They used to have some with Surge brakes, still might. You can pass by rental place and confirm if you can't find information on line or call. WDH are normally done on personal trailers, haven't seen them on U-Hauls, most don't work with surge brakes. Proper trailer loading for correct tongue weight is pretty important. Local truck scales can help but you can find details also on E-trailer also. The manual lists some height measurements also for tongue weight.

You need some sort of plug in reader with PID for the tranny temperature to monitor it. Nothing is on gauges in Pilot.

Plan for a longer slower trip, 65 or under when towing is recommended (probably less in manual) consider using whichever D4 or whatever Touring has to keep tranny from "hunting" which will reduce wear/heat.

If you plan to keep the Pilot, a tranny cooler is an investment in longevity. The 9 speed has better fluid than the 6 speed that hopefully holds up better.

Before you leave the U-Haul or right outside, check the air pressure on trailer tires and also condition. I've rented many that had messed up pressures. Make sure you check the Pilot also preferably early AM before sun warms them for correct pressure.

As for where and how much to load, E-trailer also good for covering GVWR.

Should be obvious but make sure you leave extra room in front for added stopping distance due to trailer weight. No sudden moves/lane changes. E-Trailer has some inexpensive add on mirrors to help see to back of trailer, not necessary but could help some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not seen U-Haul trailers that have electric brake connections so you shouldn't need that. They used to have some with Surge brakes, still might. You can pass by rental place and confirm if you can't find information on line or call. WDH are normally done on personal trailers, haven't seen them on U-Hauls, most don't work with surge brakes. Proper trailer loading for correct tongue weight is pretty important. Local truck scales can help but you can find details also on E-trailer also. The manual lists some height measurements also for tongue weight.

You need some sort of plug in reader with PID for the tranny temperature to monitor it. Nothing is on gauges in Pilot.

Plan for a longer slower trip, 65 or under when towing is recommended (probably less in manual) consider using whichever D4 or whatever Touring has to keep tranny from "hunting" which will reduce wear/heat.

If you plan to keep the Pilot, a tranny cooler is an investment in longevity. The 9 speed has better fluid than the 6 speed that hopefully holds up better.

Before you leave the U-Haul or right outside, check the air pressure on trailer tires and also condition. I've rented many that had messed up pressures. Make sure you check the Pilot also preferably early AM before sun warms them for correct pressure.

As for where and how much to load, E-trailer also good for covering GVWR.

Should be obvious but make sure you leave extra room in front for added stopping distance due to trailer weight. No sudden moves/lane changes. E-Trailer has some inexpensive add on mirrors to help see to back of trailer, not necessary but could help some.
Thank you for taking time and providing detailed analysis.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I totally missed the beginning. Does your Touring already have a hitch installed, factory or aftermarket version? Most of us recommend the factory version so you don't lose ground clearance and looks cleaner. You WILL need wiring, factory is the 7 pin that mounts nicely, aftermarket you can get just a 4 pin or 7 pin. The 7 to 4 pin adapters are not expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I totally missed the beginning. Does your Touring already have a hitch installed, factory or aftermarket version? Most of us recommend the factory version so you don't lose ground clearance and looks cleaner. You WILL need wiring, factory is the 7 pin that mounts nicely, aftermarket you can get just a 4 pin or 7 pin. The 7 to 4 pin adapters are not expensive.
I got it all installed by dealer after. Hitch, harness and lift gate sensor adapter (moved from left to right).

·
Registered
652 Posts
7 to 4 pin adapter also available at Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot and many other. I like the versions with test LED's in case of lighting issues. We were able to determine it was a vehicle issue not trailer wiring issue on my friends truck just by plugging one of these in. I have not had any issues with the Pilot or my old Sequoia.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts