Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Pilot EX-L fwd. Im planning a long distance move and am considering renting a u-haul trailer to tow from NJ to FL. I wanted the smaller 4x8 trailer but they're not available anywhere local to me so the smallest option is the 5x8. According to uhauls site if my tow rating is 3500lbs that would allow for 1800lbs cargo which I dont think i'll come close to. The majority of our stuff is going in storage w/ a moving company and this will just be used for our essentials during the move.

I plan on installing the hitch myself. I like oem the best because of the rear trim fit but wasn't sure about the harness. The will likely be one of the only times I tow so can I just go with a ~$60 harness from e-trailer vs the $200 oem harness?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about being fwd? What other issues if any could I run into on a one way trip of ~1200 miles. Is it worth considering the trans cooler?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have a 2019 Pilot EX-L fwd. Im planning a long distance move and am considering renting a u-haul trailer to tow from NJ to FL. I wanted the smaller 4x8 trailer but they're not available anywhere local to me so the smallest option is the 5x8. According to uhauls site if my tow rating is 3500lbs that would allow for 1800lbs cargo which I dont think i'll come close to. The majority of our stuff is going in storage w/ a moving company and this will just be used for our essentials during the move.

I plan on installing the hitch myself. I like oem the best because of the rear trim fit but wasn't sure about the harness. The will likely be one of the only times I tow so can I just go with a ~$60 harness from e-trailer vs the $200 oem harness?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about being fwd? What other issues if any could I run into on a one way trip of ~1200 miles. Is it worth considering the trans cooler?
I went the etrailer harness route and it works fine. Works, feels, smells and tastes like the oem version. Installation was straight forward on my 2012 as there were access doors to areas I needed to get to, but the 2019 isn't as DIY friendly so you may want to review the installation video before deciding if you might want to go the dealer route after all.

etrailer | Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness Installation - 2019 Honda Pilot - YouTube

Welcome to Florida! I came from Highland Park, via 3 years of grad school in Michigan to FL. I don't miss NJ.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Our EX-Ls did not come with a transmission cooler from the factory. I would add one, regardless if towing or not. But yes, especially if towing. It would likely overheat.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
This pic will help if you go with a factory cooler.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If your total weight towed including passengers and everything is under 3500lbs and you are making the trip in cool weather and....you won't be towing in the future I would not splurge on a tranny cooler. Keep your speed at/under 65mph and Honda says you should be fine. I have been towing 1700lbs with my 2017 EX every weekend in Florida for almost 4 years now with no issues. Mine is FWD as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts