Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 2019 Pilot Touring (we are in Canada equivalent to Elite model in US) with low KMS a few weeks ago. We purchased it from a Honda dealership and when we drove it off the lot we realized a few of the extra features were not work:

1. Drivers side power mirror was not folding all the way in when button was pressed (passenger side was).
2. We could hear the cooling seats turn on but we could not feel cold air coming out.
3. Fuel tank door release button not working.

The vehicle was also going to the right when driving so we assumed it needed an alignment.

We returned the vehicle to the Honda dealership where we purchased last Monday. They gave me a rental car and assured us everything was covered under warranty.

Its now a week later and the vehicle is still not ready. They are telling us that it needs a whole new fuse box and that is affecting the fuel tank cover not releasing. The driver side mirror needs to be replaced and they are waiting on the part. They say they can find no issue with the cooling seat.

The vehicle going to the left they say it needed a new steering column then alignment.

They are telling me now it won't be ready till at least the end of the week and even then they aren't sure if they will have the side mirror in (but the rest of the issues will be fixed).

Has anyone ever had any of these problems with their pilot? I am now very suspicious as this has under 25,000KM (15,000Miles) on it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, your issues are not new with 3rd Gen Pilot, i have hard the almost the same issues with my 2016 Touring (Canadian), my car has been pulling to the right since day one and they did alignment 7 times and replaced the tires twice to no solution. The cooling seats are not cooling seats but rather ventilated and when it's really hot in the car it does almost nothing.

Reactions: GLMom

·
Registered
813 Posts
The seats are ventilated seats, not cooled. With cooled seats, it blows cold air on you, but ventilated seats suck out hot air (I know sounds dumb).

·
Registered
91 Posts
2. We could hear the cooling seats turn on but we could not feel cold air coming out.
A few things here:
  1. If you're off the seat and use just your hand over the perforations, I don't believe you can feel air coming out of the ventilated seats. This is normal. When the air in the car is relatively cool, and on max vented seat power, I can sit on the seat and feel air moving between my legs.
  2. I can 100% attest that running the vented seats for more than 5 minutes makes a significant different in my comfort, like night and day difference, to the point where my butt is cool when i stand up.
  3. It does not feel like cooled seats, which are much faster to get cold, get much colder, and need to be turned down to prevent me from getting way too cold.
  4. As enisad said, if the air in the car is hot, they really won't do anything until the AC has had time to cool the air.
Finally, my advice is run them on max power every time you get in the car for 5-10 drives, then leave them off for a 30 min drive. You'll miss them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the vehicle repaired after an accident?
The car has a clean carfax- no accidents. Of course the vehicle could have been in one and I would never know if the original owner paid cash to have it fixed and didn't file any reports with insurance or police.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Forum, your issues are not new with 3rd Gen Pilot, i have hard the almost the same issues with my 2016 Touring (Canadian), my car has been pulling to the right since day one and they did alignment 7 times and replaced the tires twice to no solution. The cooling seats are not cooling seats but rather ventilated and when it's really hot in the car it does almost nothing.
Thanks! Damn that sucks. We noticed the car pulling to the right when we test drove it before purchase. We mentioned to the sales guy and he promised an alignment would be done. It wasn't (we only learned of this after we drove it off the lot and demanded the service history) and now they are saying it needed a new drive shaft?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was the vehicle repaired after an accident?
I should also add that when we did get the service history from Honda Canada the wind shield was replaced Nov 2019 which we found odd. No other service history was listed with Honda Canada. So if they did oil changes and regular maintenance checks on it, it was done at an outside source.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The car has a clean carfax- no accidents. Of course the vehicle could have been in one and I would never know if the original owner paid cash to have it fixed and didn't file any reports with insurance or police.
Something doesn‘t seem right. New driver mirror, new steering column and a new fuse box on a car that’s almost new?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something doesn‘t seem right. New driver mirror, new steering column and a new fuse box on a car that’s almost new?
I agree. If we had of known of these issues before we bought we would not have.
The Honda dealership that sold us the vehicle is saying all of this is covered under warranty. That’s what doesn’t make any sense. If these issues are due to accident why would warranty cover them?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not familiar with consumer laws in CA. If possible, I would return this car and get another vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not familiar with consumer laws in CA. If possible, I would return this car and get another vehicle.
The car has a clean car proof. I have no proof that it was in an accident or I was mislead when I purchased it.

Accidents in Canada legally need to be reported if the damage is greater then $1000. You could get away with not reporting an accident and pay cash under the table. Normally in this case when people don't report it is just a very minor accident.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With all due respects, this smells of a lease vehicle that was driven by somebody like they stole it and then turned it back in.
Unfortunately I think you could be right. I was told this was a vehicle that had just come off a lease.

Interior still smells new and the body is in immaculate condition.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Unfortunately I think you could be right. I was told this was a vehicle that had just come off a lease.

Interior still smells new and the body is in immaculate condition.
So the dealer didn't say anything about it being a lease? I recommend if you do purchase a new Pilot, don't go to the same dealer if you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the dealer didn't say anything about it being a lease? I recommend if you do purchase a new Pilot, don't go to the same dealer if you can.
the dealer told us it was a lease. The person who leased it owns a company and had it registered with his company. Or that’s what we were told.

we had an odyssey that we traded in for the Pilot. We had no issues with our odyssey what so ever.
We have a local Honda dealership that we deal with but unfortunately they didn’t have a 2019 Pilot touring for sale. We ended up buying from a different Honda dealership. I wish now we would have waited..

·
Registered
813 Posts
the dealer told us it was a lease. The person who leased it owns a company and had it registered with his company. Or that’s what we were told.

we had an odyssey that we traded in for the Pilot. We had no issues with our odyssey what so ever.
We have a local Honda dealership that we deal with but unfortunately they didn’t have a 2019 Pilot touring for sale. We ended up buying from a different Honda dealership. I wish now we would have waited..
What about a 2020 pilot? It’s a little more expensive, but there’s less issues with the 2020 and I doubt anybody has leased it and returned it already.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about a 2020 pilot? It’s a little more expensive, but there’s less issues with the 2020 and I doubt anybody has leased it and returned it already.
In Canada the new 2020 Pilot touring is $55,000 plus tax. With tax it was $63,000. We checked with dealerships all over and they werent really willing to go much lower on the price. Maybe a few thousand but not much.

The 2019 Pilot Touring with 25,000km (15,000 miles) you can get for $41,000 plus tax = $45,000.

it’s a pretty big savings.

·
Registered
813 Posts
In Canada the new 2020 Pilot touring is $55,000 plus tax. With tax it was $63,000. We checked with dealerships all over and they werent really willing to go much lower on the price. Maybe a few thousand but not much.

The 2019 Pilot Touring with 25,000km (15,000 miles) you can get for $41,000 plus tax = $45,000.

it’s a pretty big savings.
Wow. I thought you were looking at a new Pilot this whole time. Almost $20k is no small difference. Has the dealer said anything about taking the car back?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow. I thought you were looking at a new Pilot this whole time. Almost $20k is no small difference. Has the dealer said anything about taking the car back?
no, the dealer hasn’t said a thing. The only thing they have mentioned that these problems are common in vehicles that have a lot of fancy options . 🤦‍♀️ That is the dealership we bought it from.

Another Honda dealership who I trust as I always brought my odyssey to them for servicing said no way should a 2019 model be having these issues. They said there were problems with other 2016-18 model but none in 2019 that they have seen.

I did research the lemon law that you guys seem to have in the US. Unfortunately we have nothing like that in Canada.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts