Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2019 Pilot Touring 9 speed

871 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jcarroca 
#1 ·
Hello,

I bought a pilot touring a few months ago. I have ~6800 miles on it. Every now and then the car jerks forward only when I press the start button. Sometimes it happens early in the morning on a cold start, other times, it happens during the day. It is very intermitent, it does not happen all the time. I am taking it to the dealer next week for it 1st oil change, but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to their Pilot. Should I be concerned; It doesnt effect the drivability at this point.

#2 ·
I’ve experienced the same behavior – it’s very intermittent. I mentioned the forward movement on push button start during my last visit to the dealer. They were able to duplicate the issue but did not have a solution, even after contacting Honda support. Their theory is that when the transmission is shifted to park (I always use the start/stop pushbutton to shutoff/shift to park), the parking pawl occasionally lands between two teeth on the output shaft ring. If you start the car in this state, it’ll lurch forward until the parking pawl falls into the next output shaft ring tooth.

I’m not sure why the applied brake doesn’t prevent the forward movement, nor why the transmission still seems to be engaged.

When it initially occurred it was a bit unsettling. Now that I’m aware of the condition and it occurs so seldom I’ve chalked it up to a quirk in the electronic shift mechanism.

I’d recommend you discuss the behavior with your dealer and see if they have a solution/explanation… and of course share what you’ve learned back here.

#3 ·
Thank you for your comments! I always place the shifter on P prior to hitting the start/stop button. I am taking the car to the dealer next Friday so hopefully they can duplicate. If they can't, I am not sure what to do? I hope this is not a sign of a bad transmission, since my last car, a mitsubishi outlander had a blown transmission....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.