Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pilot has Bridgestone A/S radials and, so far, they haven't been very impressive in snow this winter. Does anyone have a suggested upgrade when the time comes? I want something with more grip. Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a dedicated DVM2 Blizzaks for winter driving. Amazing tires and are great in heavy Seattle rain but also fantastic on the snow.

If you want all-season tire that is rated for severe snow, I had really good results with BFGOODRICH
ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT (Used them on 2003 Subaru Outback) and GOODYEAR ASSURANCE WEATHERREADY (Used them on 2003 Pilot). Goodyear tire was a bit better in many ways than BFGoodrich but they have a different price point.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
If I lived where I couldn't install my High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s that allow me to feel the Gs 😁 in a high speed 70mpg curve..., Then I'm going to rock me a set of these Kumho Crugen HT51s. They are highly rated by consumers and have the Severe Snow Service rating that may prove to be useful during winter weather.

One thing I would not do is install a squishy touring tire. Especially one that cost $800+ for a set.

Reactions: PopStefanow

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
My Pilot has Bridgestone A/S radials and, so far, they haven't been very impressive in snow this winter. Does anyone have a suggested upgrade when the time comes? I want something with more grip. Thanks!
Which trim level Pilot (and therefore tire size) do you have?
Since you mentioned that Bridgestone was the OEM tire brand, we could assume that the size is 245/60R18.

Then, as mentioned above, it comes down to whether or not you would want a separate set of winter-only tires, or just something that can be used all-year-round but that will also have better performance in winter.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Alright there Ms.Daisy..... 70mph is a lot different then 70mpg.
Was Mrs Daisy your English teacher back in High School? I barely passed. I learnt the best I coulda.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Where do you live? Would you consider a dedicated winter/snow tire for the winter months?
As viper said, location information helps and if you want dedicated winter tires Update your profile so it shows location when you hover over the flag. Many threads here at Piloteers and on Ridgeline Owners Club with tire details and pros/cons. For me and my family, full winter provides the extra safety and less $$ then many insurance deductibles never mind injury and increased premiums even with cost of spare rims and sensors.

My wife wanted to get rid of the Pilot having it only 3 days because we got hit with a unpredicted heavy snow and the Bridgestone Dueler Sport A/S should be outlawed in any area that it snows. She could barely make it out of parking lot at work, couldn't stop on the hill and almost wrecked it sliding. Oh yeah, she works 1 mile from home. Now with proper winter tires she won't ride with her friends and will volunteer to drive if they have to go anywhere and is confident in the snow. Read the reviews on Tire Rack. They are good in dry and wet, wear out fast and poor in winter.

I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S for 3 season, many love them for winter. Currently Continental WinterContact Si for winter tires on the Pilot and Accord. Kids cars have Continental VikingContact 7's. I might try others some day but tests/reviews and price incentives on teh Conti's couldn't be beat. I live on Long Island but have family in and ski upstate NY, MA and VT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As viper said, location information helps and if you want dedicated winter tires Update your profile so it shows location when you hover over the flag. Many threads here at Piloteers and on Ridgeline Owners Club with tire details and pros/cons. For me and my family, full winter provides the extra safety and less $$ then many insurance deductibles never mind injury and increased premiums even with cost of spare rims and sensors.

My wife wanted to get rid of the Pilot having it only 3 days because we got hit with a unpredicted heavy snow and the Bridgestone Dueler Sport A/S should be outlawed in any area that it snows. She could barely make it out of parking lot at work, couldn't stop on the hill and almost wrecked it sliding. Oh yeah, she works 1 mile from home. Now with proper winter tires she won't ride with her friends and will volunteer to drive if they have to go anywhere and is confident in the snow. Read the reviews on Tire Rack. They are good in dry and wet, wear out fast and poor in winter.

I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S for 3 season, many love them for winter. Currently Continental WinterContact Si for winter tires on the Pilot and Accord. Kids cars have Continental VikingContact 7's. I might try others some day but tests/reviews and price incentives on teh Conti's couldn't be beat. I live on Long Island but have family in and ski upstate NY, MA and VT.
Thank you for the fine information. I live in southern Ohio and we only get 25-30" of snow per year so it is not much, but these tires have disappointed me so far this year.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Thank you for the fine information. I live in southern Ohio and we only get 25-30" of snow per year so it is not much, but these tires have disappointed me so far this year.
25-30" is "not much" LOL. im in nc and the state shuts down with the THREAT of snow...cant find milk/bread/eggs anywhere!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
25-30" is "not much" LOL. im in nc and the state shuts down with the THREAT of snow...cant find milk/bread/eggs anywhere!
HAHAHA! Yeah, ours only comes an inch or two at a time usually. I grew up in Northeast Ohio so winter generally disappoints me here. :)

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
If I lived where I couldn't install my High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s that allow me to feel the Gs 😁 in a high speed 70mpg curve..., Then I'm going to rock me a set of these Kumho Crugen HT51s. They are highly rated by consumers and have the Severe Snow Service rating that may prove to be useful during winter weather.
View attachment 144742
One thing I would not do is install a squishy touring tire. Especially one that cost $800+ for a set.
Check the speed rating.
That Kumho only has a 'T' speed rating - OEM tires are 'H' rated.
Many shops won't install replacement tires with a speed rating lower than that of the OEM tires.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Look at one of the "all-weather" type tires, which can be used year-round but have better winter performance than "all-season" tires.
Examples are the Michelin CrossClimate SUV, the Nokian WR G4 SUV and the Hankook Kinergy 4S2 X.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Check the speed rating.
That Kumho only has a 'T' speed rating - OEM tires are 'H' rated.
Many shops won't install replacement tires with a speed rating lower than that of the OEM tires.
The tire shop I use doesn't get nosey. That is a small negative for a Pilot. 118 mph versus 130. I'd give that up for the need for the snow rating.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
The tire shop I use doesn't get nosey. That is a small negative for a Pilot. 118 mph versus 130. I'd give that up for the need for the snow rating.
Fine if you have a shop that isn't nosey.
Wait until they get sued once as party to an accident involving a vehicle on which they installed tires with a lower than OEM speed rating.
They'll likely get nosey after that.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Fine if you have a shop that isn't nosey.
Wait until they get sued once as party to an accident involving a vehicle on which they installed tires with a lower than OEM speed rating.
They'll likely get nosey after that.
They didn't sell the tires to me. Big difference.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
They didn't sell the tires to me. Big difference.
Doesn't matter.
If they want to minimize their risk exposure as the installer, then they should verify that the tires meet the minimum speed rating specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
Either that, or they should protect themselves by having you sign an agreement which releases them from liability.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Doesn't matter.
If they want to minimize their risk exposure as the installer, then they should verify that the tires meet the minimum speed rating specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
Either that, or they should protect themselves by having you sign an agreement which releases them from liability.
12 mph on a speed rating that's over 100 mph? smirk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts