Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning on getting our 2019 Pilot tinted. I was hoping to see what some of you other Pilot owners have gotten for your tints. Please share pics if you have any! :)

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Here's a picture of my '19 after I had my running boards installed. Tint was done the week prior. I just told the tint guy to match the factory tint on the rear windows. I also had clear ceramic film applied to the windshield.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How much was the front windshield ceramic clear tint

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
How much was the front windshield ceramic clear tint
$125. While it's technically illegal, my tint guy installs it for 75% of his tint customers down here in FL. He told me that once people know it exists, they want it. You cannot tell it's there unless you look for the edge of the film at the borders of the windshield. I expect there would be additional complications in states with registration/inspection stickers on the windshield due to the scraping to remove, etc.

He tints the local law enforcement vehicles and wouldn't say if they have it installed (wink-wink). I like it so much I am going to get my other car done. It really cuts down on the interior heat.

EDIT: Total price for windshield ceramic and front door windows was $190.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got 35% done all around and so far no complaints. It's not too dark and blocks off good portion of the sun. I'm in California where it's illegal to tint front driver/passenger side doors too. Paid $170

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just curious... for you guys who do the tint even though you know it's illegal... what's your plan to "fix" it if you do get pulled over, inspected and impounded? Do you really think it's worth the risk of replacing a couple of grand of glass to get back to factory specs?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just curious... for you guys who do the tint even though you know it's illegal... what's your plan to "fix" it if you do get pulled over, inspected and impounded? Do you really think it's worth the risk of replacing a couple of grand of glass to get back to factory specs?
You don't need to replace the windows, you just remove the tint and it's back to normal. Can probably do it yourself with some goo gone or pay the tint folks to remove.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I live in FL. We don't have inspection. My tint is legal here. The clear ceramic windshield film is technically illegal but you can't tell it's there.

Having a vehicle impounded over tint is something I've never heard of, seems a bit extreme to say the least...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I did 20% on top of all windows and did the front strip as well. check my "garage" Yes it's not legal in NY so you have to find someone who will pass you for inspection. Impounded over tint? - you can peel it off if it ever comes remotely close to that with a LEO - do not peel off if it's really hot out unless you plan on removing the glue immediately. In the winter you'll be able to make it a few hours before you need to remove the glue. I've seen dudes in the summer not able to roll their windows up with removed tint and they rolled their windows down on their way home only to get home and it's too sticky to get passed the rubber molding strip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No way a car gets impounded over tints (At least here in CA). All you get is a fix it ticket, go to a local shop and get it off ($20), get it validated by the dept, pay a small fine and that't it. Go tint it again with a fresh new tint

·
Registered
80 Posts
$125. While it's technically illegal, my tint guy installs it for 75% of his tint customers down here in FL. He told me that once people know it exists, they want it. You cannot tell it's there unless you look for the edge of the film at the borders of the windshield. I expect there would be additional complications in states with registration/inspection stickers on the windshield due to the scraping to remove, etc.

He tints the local law enforcement vehicles and wouldn't say if they have it installed (wink-wink). I like it so much I am going to get my other car done. It really cuts down on the interior heat.

EDIT: Total price for windshield ceramic and front door windows was $190.
Hi Tourist. What part of Florida. I’m a Floridian as well and looking to tint both front windows and windshield. Can you please provide the shop name.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Hi Tourist. What part of Florida. I’m a Floridian as well and looking to tint both front windows and windshield. Can you please provide the shop name.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm an hour or so northwest of Tampa.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's a picture of my '19 after I had my running boards installed. Tint was done the week prior. I just told the tint guy to match the factory tint on the rear windows. I also had clear ceramic film applied to the windshield.

My guess would be your tint is probably illegal by your state standards if it is as dark as the rear window tint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
its illegal in ca to have the front tinted without an rx. I have all my cars done, I also bought front windows without tint, if I get pulled over for having them, I just take the window out and install the non tint to get it signed off then put them back on.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
its illegal in ca to have the front tinted without an rx. I have all my cars done, I also bought front windows without tint, if I get pulled over for having them, I just take the window out and install the non tint to get it signed off then put them back on.
I have thought about this. How hard is it to replace the window and swap it back?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
My guess would be your tint is probably illegal by your state standards if it is as dark as the rear window tint.
Well, if it is, so be it. The reason I said mine is legal is because I've never been told otherwise. Our '12 Pilot was tinted the exact same way and we drove it for seven years. My wife even got a speeding ticket once here in town. I witnessed an accident once and had to hang around and talk to the deputies and a state trooper. Never had a word said to me about the tint being too dark. It's FL, they simply don't make a big deal out of it here.

The state police and county sheriff vehicles are all tinted, some darker than my Pilot. I see plenty of cars on the road that are way darker than my Pilot, some really dark like they have limo tint all around.

From what I can tell, factory Honda tint is 20%. So, if what I have on the fronts is 20%, I'm 8% below what's technically legal in FL. It's my understanding that most states the law is 35%.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
From what I can tell, factory Honda tint is 20%. So, if what I have on the fronts is 20%, I'm 8% below what's technically legal in FL. It's my understanding that most states the law is 35%.
Just so you know the 35% number is percentage of light that needs to be able to shine through so 20% is actually darker than 35%.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Just so you know the 35% number is percentage of light that needs to be able to shine through so 20% is actually darker than 35%.
Yes I know. My point is that FL allows a lower VLT (darker tint) than many other states, 28% vs 35%.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yes I know. My point is that FL allows a lower VLT (darker tint) than many other states, 28% vs 35%.
Oh I see. I thought you were saying you’re 8% “safe” when you meant you are 8% too dark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts