Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks!

For few reasons, I'm considering purchasing a Smittybilt Gen 2 Overlander XL tent to install on my Gen 3 Pilot.
The tent is approximately47"W x 76"L x 11" H and 150lbs in weight. Given the length, it would stretches from just above the shark fin antenna and would cover a few inches of the sunroof.

I'm hoping someone can help me cover a few questions:

1) For those who have factory rails and the OEM cross bars are the bars raised enough that a large flat load placed on them would clear the shark fin antenna on the back antenna with sufficient clearance not to rub/hit it (i.e. >1inch).

2) Do the OEM cross bars have any flex, or are they rigid?

3) Has anyone installed/driven with a roof top tent or other load of similar size on their Gen 3 pilot? Anything to look out for? Any recommendations for mounting?

Your input is greatly appreciated-I've looked up many forums but can't seem to find much insight with respect to the Honda Pilot, nor similarly sized cars (although people seem to be installing them on Subaru Outbacks.....)

Many thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a Yakima Skybox 21 that has enough clearance from the sunroof and shark fin antenna. Most roof boxes will clear it.

I’d love to find out if the tent will be accommodating to the crossbars, but it’s curved and me personally I’m not sure if it’ll work. I hope it does as I’d want to get one!!!

Attached images to help you get an idea

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Subscribed / interested to see what will work out on the Pilot. On Jeep/Overlanders they run the Rhino rack which is a flat platform

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Yakima Skybox 21 that has enough clearance from the sunroof and shark fin antenna. Most roof boxes will clear it.

I’d love to find out if the tent will be accommodating to the crossbars, but it’s curved and me personally I’m not sure if it’ll work. I hope it does as I’d want to get one!!!

Attached images to help you get an idea

Thank you for taking the time to take pictures; they're super helpful and exactly what I was looking for. It seems there would be about 2 inches clearance (guesstimate) seeing how the picture is taken from below cross bar level.

I'm not too concerned about the curve, as I figure I can get longer bolts if needed and add spacers to prevent the middle of the tent sitting on the top of the arch. The bolts attach to a railing on the tent itself anyway which reduces the distance.

Do the rails have any flex to them or are they very rigid?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just measured my factory crossbars. The rear bar is just below 3inches. The fin is around 3/4 of an inch. The bars dont flex. I believe the max recommended weight is 150lbs

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to take pictures; they're super helpful and exactly what I was looking for. It seems there would be about 2 inches clearance (guesstimate) seeing how the picture is taken from below cross bar level.

I'm not too concerned about the curve, as I figure I can get longer bolts if needed and add spacers to prevent the middle of the tent sitting on the top of the arch. The bolts attach to a railing on the tent itself anyway which reduces the distance.

Do the rails have any flex to them or are they very rigid?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
These OEM crossbars are rigid (very firm). It might be best to seek non OEM crossbars as they are flat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, hang on a second... the OEM roof bars allow a maximum 165lbs distributed evenly.

With the tent alone thats fine but if you raise and start having adults climbing in... that will far exceed the limit... does the tent anchor anywhere else other than the roof racks when its open? I couldnt tell and the ladder isnt going to provide much support esp not for up to 700lbs that the tent is rated for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, hang on a second... the OEM roof bars allow a maximum 165lbs distributed evenly.

With the tent alone thats fine but if you raise and start having adults climbing in... that will far exceed the limit... does the tent anchor anywhere else other than the roof racks when its open? I couldnt tell and the ladder isnt going to provide much support esp not for up to 700lbs that the tent is rated for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks all for the added info.

With respect to the weight limit: it's a topic that comes up often and there are many articles to address it, but as a quick summary it's the difference between static and dynamic loads. The factory roof/racks are rated to support a 165lb load when the car is moving, but this translates to a higher capacity if the car is stationary when the load is applied.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
These OEM crossbars are rigid (very firm). It might be best to seek non OEM crossbars as they are flat.
This is the rack I'm considering: Go Rhino flat roof rack is universal fit and mounts onto the OEM crossbars. It will provide a flat surface for tent and other applications. Light-weight, rust-free aluminum construction. For a bit more the Pioneer
tg353f2adxih3rklujm7.jpeg
feature-rack-4wd.png

Rhino Rack could be made to work with some modifications.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the rack I'm considering: Go Rhino flat roof rack is universal fit and mounts onto the OEM crossbars. It will provide a flat surface for tent and other applications. Light-weight, rust-free aluminum construction. For a bit more the Pioneer View attachment 144647 View attachment 144650
Rhino Rack could be made to work with some modifications.
That rack looks pretty cool but don't think it would work with a roof tent. The one you show uses up 45lbs of your overall 165lb roof carrying capacity, and probably won't add much benefit when used on conjunction with a roof tent anyway.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That rack looks pretty cool but don't think it would work with a roof tent. The one you show uses up 45lbs of your overall 165lb roof carrying capacity, and probably won't add much benefit when used on conjunction with a roof tent anyway.
The topic of static weight and dynamic weight needs to be investigated further. Assuming the Pilot has a dynamic load max of 160lb the static load may be more. I’m following this discussion for more information on this subject. My plans will have to be adjusted if roof top tent is not okay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts