Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the market for 2019 Pilot, and test drive today 2019 Pilot Touring (white), brought with me paint thickness gauge, the result is a bit surprise me, the whole body has a the same paint think was 30-40 um for the top, sides and back of the car, but the hood and front wings has 700-750um thickness but very-very(!) uniform, just wondering if they was made by honda intentionaly to protect paint work on the front of the car, could it be true? Any one else did that measurement? Thank you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm sure you know this already but you are in the less than 1% of the general population that even knows about a patient thickness gauge, let alone HAVE one. I'm almost positive that you won't find an answer on this forum. But if you do, consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm on the market for 2019 Pilot, and test drive today 2019 Pilot Touring (white), brought with me paint thickness gauge, the result is a bit surprise me, the whole body has a the same paint think was 30-40 um for the top, sides and back of the car, but the hood and front wings has 700-750um thickness but very-very(!) uniform, just wondering if they was made by honda intentionaly to protect paint work on the front of the car, could it be true? Any one else did that measurement? Thank you.
I don’t know how paint gauges work but the hood and fenders are aluminum while the rest of the panels are steel. Does this require a different calibration of the gauge? Of course it could also mean the car was repaired after a crash.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good looking people always use paint gauges when buying cars. I was told it's okay that different panels have different readings. However, the reading needs to be uniform within a single panel.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm not a painter, but I think this is interesting.

I suspect that the most likely explanation for the big number is what Cbayman suggested. If your gauge is magnetic, you're not getting an accurate measurement to an aluminum panel. If it was re-sprayed that heavily (.7mm), I think you would be able to see that it doesn't look right on the edges.

But your other measurements seem suspect, too. A quick tour with google suggests that factory paint is usually be more in the range of 100um with clearcoat.

I suggest calibrating the instrument first, then trying again. Of course, it's possible that this is a disaster of an OEM paintjob. Given the number of older Hondas with clearcoat checking (mine included) and paint peeling (mostly after they switched to water-based paint), that's not exactly unprecedented.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
248 Posts
Factory paint jobs rarely exceed 6-7 mils. Idk what measurement you are using, but it the panels are not steel your tool will not work. Thicker spots either mean there are multiple layers of paint, or there is body filler which indicates repair/repaint. A better indication of an aftermarket paint job is looking for dirt nibs, and flaws in the clearcoat. But a mil guage works too! Try to change the measurement to mils, and make sure you are using it on steel panels.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A quick search on internet makes me think the OP needs to calibrate/zero his meter using an aluminum substrate. Even economically priced meters can measure paint thickness on non ferrous metals. Just needs to be calibrated using the target substrate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thank you, everyone! I took another car for a test drive also Touring (but year up - 2020) and measured the hood and whole body and it is even everywhere(!), do not know was is just a polish wax on the front of repainting/overspray at the factory/dealership (all bolts under the hood look untouched) but I have less trust in the first car already.
Initially, I thought maybe Honda applied additional coating to the font of the car, now I doubt.

PS: I did zero my gauge each time, and it's automatically can determining magnetic and nonmagnetic surfaces and measure accordingly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts