Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum.

I have a 2019 pilot I bought new last year. My 2 complimentary oil changes at the dealership are done and I'd like to start doing the changes myself. I know that there are lots of opinions on which oils and filters are the "best," and I'd love to hear some of them.

I also have a 2012 accord 4cyl, I do the changes on that. I've been using pennzoil platinum full syn 0w-20 and honda a-01 filters.

It's clear after searching around here that lots of people know lots more about this stuff than me. I don't know about crush washers and torque numbers and such, would love to hear what people have to say, which to use, and where to get them!

My old man showed me how to change oil on the old buick and I guess I've been doing it the same way since then - need to update my ways!

Thanks for any responses

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I have a 2019 pilot I bought new last year. My 2 complimentary oil changes at the dealership are done and I'd like to start doing the changes myself. I know that there are lots of opinions on which oils and filters are the "best," and I'd love to hear some of them.

I also have a 2012 accord 4cyl, I do the changes on that. I've been using pennzoil platinum full syn 0w-20 and honda a-01 filters.
The Pennzoil full synthetic oil and the Honda A01 filter that you've already been using for the Accord will also be suitable for the Pilot.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
The Pennzoil full synthetic oil and the Honda A01 filter that you've already been using for the Accord will also be suitable for the Pilot.
I've been using Mobil 1 Oil for a very long time, but recently @xGS posted a Project Farm video and I have recently switched and in the process of switching all our vehicles to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil. I was impressed by it's protection and most of all, it's ability not to evaporate. We were always having to top off our oil between changes. I recommend using any oil filter that is made with synthetic fibers. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter M1-110A.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 Oil for a very long time, but recently @xGS posted a Project Farm video and I have recently switched and in the process of switching all our vehicles to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil. I was impressed by it's protection and most of all, it's ability not to evaporate. We were always having to top off our oil between changes. I recommend using any oil filter that is made with synthetic fibers. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter M1-110A.

Wow, does this mean I have to take my photo of you down in my garage?

Few people know that Nail Grease was they June 2017 center fold in Amateur Grease Monkey Magazine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

It looks like the Honda A02 are much more available than the A01 and fit both my Accord and my Pilot - any thoughts on that filter?

People use crush washers between the drain plug and the oil pan and between the oil filter and it's attachment place? Am I understanding that correctly?

People use a torque wrench to put on their oil drain plug, is that correct? I believe I've seen that mentioned in some of the other threads I was reading before I started this one. Anybody have thoughts on that?

Thanks again

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Reactions: Usmc1968

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
It looks like the Honda A02 are much more available than the A01 and fit both my Accord and my Pilot - any thoughts on that filter?
The A01 filter is/was made by Filtech, while the A02 filter is made by Honeywell/Fram.
There are youtube videos showing cutaway views comparing both filters, so you can draw your own conclusion.

If you want a Filtech filter, an option is the 15400-PCX-004 filter, specified for the S2000, but also an approved substitute for the A01/A02 filters.

The A02 is now the standard version of the Honda filter and, according to the maintenance schedule, only needs to be changed every other oil change. So, one might conclude that it's (more than) sufficient if used only for the length of a single oil change interval as indicated by the oil life display on the maintenance minder.

People use crush washers between the drain plug and the oil pan and between the oil filter and it's attachment place? Am I understanding that correctly?
Crush washer between the drain plug and oil pan, but not with the oil filter.

People use a torque wrench to put on their oil drain plug, is that correct? I believe I've seen that mentioned in some of the other threads I was reading before I started this one. Anybody have thoughts on that?
As I recall, the (Honda) filter is marked with a torque spec, but also states that the filter can be installed by tightening it for 3/4 of a turn beyond the point at which the filter gasket first makes contact with the engine.
See what it shows on the filter you buy.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hello, new to the forum.

It's clear after searching around here that lots of people know lots more about this stuff than me. I don't know about crush washers and torque numbers and such, would love to hear what people have to say, which to use, and where to get them!

My old man showed me how to change oil on the old buick and I guess I've been doing it the same way since then - need to update my ways!

Thanks for any responses
It's a good idea to have a torque wrench for auto maintenance. The hardened steel oil drain plug is threaded into an aluminum alloy oil pan, so you do not want to strip out the threads by over tightening. The torque setting for the oil drain plug is 29 ft-lbs. There is an aluminum crush washer on the plug that seals up and prevents oil drips. The 29 ft-lbs torque will crush the washer and prevent dripping. I usually get two oil changes out of one washer by flipping it over for change #2. The washers are cheap, so use a new one every time if you wish. However, a stripped out oil drain is a big hassle, so get a torque wrench and stop at 29 ft-lbs!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Oh man, you have been breathing in far too many exhaust fumes, it's rattled your brain. THIS would be more like it.
View attachment 137178
Now come on. This is obviously photo shopped. The Shell that's on Billy-Bob's chest, I believe. But there is no way he used Shell Rotella in that car. If he had of, it still be going.
Neither of these characters are me. I don't smoke and I still gots all my teefs. 😃

Reactions: Usmc1968

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recommend using any oil filter that is made with synthetic fibers. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter M1-110A.
Does the Mobil1 filter fit in the 17-20 Pilots? I use the Honda A01 filters on our 19 Pilot, but have noticed it will be a tight squeeze to fit in a taller/longer filter. There is limited clearance between the oil filter and the frame below it. I know that my favorite oil filter (Bosch Distance Plus) will probably not fit. Anyone used the M1-110A on a 19 Pilot?

I would suggest using the Honda filter cap socket for the oil filter on the 19. My preferred Lisle 63600 two claw wrench wont fit for removal, and my Lisle 61600 cap socket wont fit for installing or removing. I purchased the expensive Honda filter cap socket and works well for both when used with a ratcheting closed end wrench (Gearwrench type). Honda 07AAA-PLCA100 wrench filter 65 mm. About $32 now, but worth it for me. I can use the my other filter sockets and caps on our 07 Pilot and 11 Odys, but the fancy Honda cap makes it easy on the 19 Pilot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here is my thesis I wrote about this topic in another thread, hopefully it will help someone.

19 Pilot:

I have done 3 oil+filter changes, used jack and jack stands to lift the front wheels, all three times. The ground clearance made it hard for me to get to the oil filter. Also, on the 19, the clearance between the oil filter and subframe rail is very small. I think it would be tough to get the filter on and off without the extra clearance from lifting the front wheels. The clearances lets me get my arm/body/hand into better position for removing the filter without getting oil everywhere (plastic bag does help). Consider purchasing the Honda 07AAA-PLCA100 oil filter cap along with a ratcheting closed-end wrench (Gearwrench). It is $29 on Amazon which is ridiculous, but it made the job so much easier. The low profile oil filter cap wrench fits in the small space between oil filter and frame and allows you to loosen and tighten the oil filter without damaging the filter. I have a similar cap that I use to tighten on other Honda vehicles, but it is too tall to fit on the 19 Pilot. I usually use the Lisle claw type filter wrench/socket to remove the filters, but it wont fit on the 19 Pilot. A strap type wrench would work, but they are too fussy for me. I like the cap ones, they are secure and I can tighten the 3/4 turn very easily. I also find on the 19 Pilot that I have to remove a nylon push pin that secures a plastic spray shield panel in the area. I bought a push pin puller that makes taking the pin out easy and breaks it less, but I have got and used some spare pins since they can break.

I use the Honda OEM oil filters (car is in warranty so I don’t want any blown engine excuses from Honda in the future) - I have a small stock of the scarce older A01 (Filtech made) filters but I will have to switch to the Fram made A02 filters at some point. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, but I follow the Maintenance Minder schedule (I will pay $3 more for some extra additives). I buy 5+1 quarts of oil. Put 5 plus a little in, take off jack stands and jack, wheel on ground, crank it, run for 10 seconds, confirm no leaks, put some tools away, check oil level, add another 0.5 qt, usually gets it to 90 pct on the hatch dipstick marking. Drive around neighborhood, check and top off to 100 pct on hatch hot, be happy. Lower spare tire to use to rotate tires, add air to spare tire, rotate tires using jack at each corner (move jack to each wheel/corner jack point to remove each wheel) and spare tire on the first wheel removed (front driver), once through the tires remove spare from front driver position, re-install spare, torque wheel nuts with torque wrench.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Does the Mobil1 filter fit in the 17-20 Pilots? I use the Honda A01 filters on our 19 Pilot, but have noticed it will be a tight squeeze to fit in a taller/longer filter. There is limited clearance between the oil filter and the frame below it. I know that my favorite oil filter (Bosch Distance Plus) will probably not fit. Anyone used the M1-110A on a 19 Pilot?
M1-110A fits fine on my 2017 EX-L.

Reactions: scottmachovec

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm just going to say, if you are using an oil filter wrench you are putting it on too tight or without lubing the gasket first. I've only ever used my oil filter wrench after someone else (usually a shop) did the oil change and I can count the number of times I've had an oil filter leak on zero hands.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I'm just going to say, if you are using an oil filter wrench you are putting it on too tight or without lubing the gasket first. I've only ever used my oil filter wrench after someone else (usually a shop) did the oil change and I can count the number of times I've had an oil filter leak on zero hands.
Ah, that's why the size question. I hand tighten and install through the wheel well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ah, that's why the size question. I hand tighten and install through the wheel well.
I do the 3/4 turn past gasket just kissing thing as labeled on the Honda filters.

I do have to admit that I have wimpy pencil-pushing, cat-herding project engineer arm strength, so I used leverage from tools whenever possible, both taking off and putting on. I will try next time to see if I can do completely by hand, just have never tried.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I do the 3/4 turn past gasket just kissing thing as labeled on the Honda filters.

I do have to admit that I have wimpy pencil-pushing, cat-herding project engineer arm strength, so I used leverage from tools whenever possible, both taking off and putting on. I will try next time to see if I can do completely by hand, just have never tried.
Using one of the non-slip rubber sheets, sold as an aid for opening jar lids, should help with removing and installing the oil filter by hand.

This is one example:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts