Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
The A/C is always on in our vehicle, so I'd answer yes to your question, though I don't recall testing the theory.
I later disabled the VCM when I learned the strain this function puts on your engine, engine mounts and transmission.
Mine will not make the noise with the ac off. I tested that throughly.

·
Registered
813 Posts
This sounds like a failed front and/or rear engine mount(s). When you let off the gas the VCM causes your engine to drop cylinders creating vibration that normally is quieted by your front and rear engine mounts.
I had this "verrrt" sound too. It was solved by replacing front and rear.
But do you really think the motor mounts will go bad that fast? It might actually be bad since you had the same issue, but a year is way too early for motor mounts to go bad.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
But do you really think the motor mounts will go bad that fast? It might actually be bad since you had the same issue, but a year is way too early for motor mounts to go bad.
Some 3rd gen Pilots had mounts replaced soon after delivery.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Hmm I thought it was just the early ones. I expected Honda to have this issue taken care of by now.
If you got the "straw in fountain drink cup lid" "verrrt" sound when letting off the gas in your 3rd gen, it's likely front, back or both engine mounts failing to absorb the vibrations of you active VCM. Lived it and DIY fixed it. I'm sure Honda has a better record now than when 3rd gens went into production, but that doesn't mean 1 out of 100 (hypothetical) might still have the problem.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you got the "straw in fountain drink cup lid" "verrrt" sound when letting off the gas in your 3rd gen, it's likely front, back or both engine mounts failing to absorb the vibrations of you active VCM. Lived it and DIY fixed it. I'm sure Honda has a better record now than when 3rd gens went into production, but that doesn't mean 1 out of 100 (hypothetical) might still have the problem.
Hi Nail Grease,
Will having it sound like this be a long term issue without the mounts being replaced/fixed. Just installed my vcm tuner2 last week. I used to experience this muffled sound but now don't since i installed the disabler . Wondering if this is something i should have complained to the dealer before disabling and if they would even fix it

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Hi Nail Grease,
Will having it sound like this be a long term issue without the mounts being replaced/fixed.
Yes, the mounts also prevent and engine vibrations from being transferred through the frame.
Just installed my vcm tuner2 last week. I used to experience this muffled sound but now don't since i installed the disabler . Wondering if this is something i should have complained to the dealer before disabling and if they would even fix it
If I was still under warranty, I'd probably want it fixed. The new engine mounts also made thing much quieter in the cabin.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like I said, VCM is a solution looking for a problem. Both active control engine mounts (very pricey) and active noise cancellation would not have been needed if it weren't for it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Like I said, VCM is a solution looking for a problem. Both active control engine mounts (very pricey) and active noise cancellation would not have been needed if it weren't for it.
At least it’ll save you $5 after 10 years of owning the car. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine only does this with the ac on. I wonder if it still could be the mounts in my case?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does the same thing. We have taken it in twice and still no fix. Straw in cup sound when decelerating, ac is on, going 30-40mph. The replaced ac parts both times. I think it could be a transmission problem. Something with the engine for sure. Anyone found out exactly what it is and gotten it fixed? It’s driving my wife crazy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mine does the same thing. We have taken it in twice and still no fix. Straw in cup sound when decelerating, ac is on, going 30-40mph. The replaced ac parts both times. I think it could be a transmission problem. Something with the engine for sure. Anyone found out exactly what it is and gotten it fixed? It’s driving my wife crazy.
Your VCM is most probably causing issues. You could purchase a VCM muzzler to stop this issue, but if it doesn't fix it, you'll probably need new motor mounts.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Has the dealership confirmed your sound. Tell them that the vibrations and noise level inside the car are to the point you can't hold a normal conversation with someone. Others have solved this with new front and back engine mounts.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
But Yes. They have heard it. It is not always easy to reproduce for them but it happens all the time to us. Lol
My rear mount was collapsed. When I removed it, it was a bit shorter than the new OEM mount I bought. It was allowing the engine vibration to travel into the frame. The straw in a cup sound would happen when we would let off the gas. Obviously when the VCM would switch the engine to run on 3 cylinders.
A greater concern should be the "Erratic RPM Gauge Of Death."
This leads to transmission failure. The VCM operation causes an issue with the torque converter being able to lock with the clutch plate. I solved this by disabling the VCM.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine will not make the noise with the ac off. I tested that throughly.
I have thoroughly tested this as well and found the same thing. Sound only happens when AC is not on. It was painful to test in the Georgia heat, but it was obvious that it was silent with the AC off. Haven't taken it in yet but it seems to be something with a Vacuum or other AC part.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
I have thoroughly tested this as well and found the same thing. Sound only happens when AC is not on. It was painful to test in the Georgia heat, but it was obvious that it was silent with the AC off. Haven't taken it in yet but it seems to be something with a Vacuum or other AC part.
My AC is always on, and replacing the front and rear motor mounts fixed my "vrrrt" sound. AC on is simply causing more load on the engine. More so when the VCM turns your 6 cylinder engine into 3.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts