Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was unable to root cause the issue until I read the post. I at least know how to recreate it now. Thanks!
I was able to reproduce the sound 8 out of 10 times yesterday when letting off the accelerator with AC on. This issue did not exist in Summer last year... something that happened over time. I wonder if warranty will cover the resolution.

Has anyone taken their vehicle to service for resolution of this issue yet?

Thank you
Is yours a 2WD or an AWD? Mine is a 2WD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine does this too. 2019 Touring. Only when I'm between 35 and 40mph, holding steady speed and quickly take my foot off the accelerator. It seems like it's coming from the rear of the car. Maybe something in the AWD? Definitely sounds like something disengaging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue with our 2019 elite. Just started happening a month or two ago. Sounds like, yes, a straw being pulled through a plastic cap. Any updates?

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
The "verrrt" sound my Pilot would make when letting off the gas proved to be bad engine mounts. Front and/or Back. I replaced both and no more "verrrt." Keep in mind that letting off the gas also activates the VCM that send vibrations through the drive train. Install a VCM disabler like S-VCM and that will quiet things down further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how is it mount related? Happens even when foot is off the gas and the car downshifts slightly. Seems to depend on the air pressure perhaps as part of the air-box or something like it.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
how is it mount related? Happens even when foot is off the gas and the car downshifts slightly. Seems to depend on the air pressure perhaps as part of the air-box or something like it.
Again, in my case, my front or back engine mount failed to buffer the vibrations coming from the engine. The vibrations were being transferred directly into the frame of the vehicle. Most noticeable during deceleration.
You can test your engine mounts. With your left foot firmly on the brake (do not release), put the vehicle in drive and gently raise the rpms with your right foot. If you hear knock knock knock knock......, you have a bad engine mount. The same test can be done in reverse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only happens when decelerating or when lifting foot off the gas pedal, never when accelerating. Sound is similar to the sound of a plastic straw being pulled up through the plastic lid of a soft drink cup from a fast food restaurant! Sound is also similar to the clucking sound from a chalky box-style turkey call.
any updates on this? I thought I heard on another forum someone had this resolved by the dealer...

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
any updates on this? I thought I heard on another forum someone had this resolved by the dealer...
My "verrrt" sound on my 2017 EX-L turned out to be the front or rear engine mount. I replaced both and the sound was no more. I suspect the back because it was collapsed. It was about 1/4 inch shorter than the new OEM I Installed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought by 2019 Honda Touring end of April. Shortly after driving the car I noticed a squeak in engine compartment when I let up on gas or brakes applied. Mileage was less than 1,600. I took it into the Dealer in June. Dealer said it was transmission (FIRST REPAIR ATTEMPT) and ordered new transmission. Early July brought in the car to have transmission replaced. Honda Technical Rep said it wasn’t the transmission. Recommended to replace engine mounts (SECOND REPAIR ATTEMPT). Engine mounts were replaced. Squeak was still present. After extensive test drive, Honda said it was from A/C and Honda Tech said to perform deep A/C vacuum/drying (THIRD REPAIR ATTEMPT). After A/C vacuum/drying the squeak was still there. Honda Tech then said it was A/C expansion valve. But, Honda refused to replace the valve. They stated it “IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE”.

I was told by Dealer that three other customers had complained about same squeak and they also found a new car on lot with same issue.

In July I contacted Honda Customer Care. In August Honda Customer Care told me my claim was denied and that the squeak in the engine – A/C - was a normal characteristic. Customer Care Rep indicated that they were handling other customer complainants with the same issue. My complaint was closed.

Since when is a squeak in a brand-new car a normal characteristic? If Honda really thought it was a normal characteristic why did they continue to try to fix my car. It wasn’t until they couldn’t fix it after three attempts and Honda refused to replace the A/C expansion valve that they decided it was a normal characteristic. I am assuming not all 2019 Honda Pilot Touring cars have this issue.

It is clear that many 2019 Honda Pilots have this noise issue that Honda refuses to acknowledge as a problem to the customer. They sold me a car with a known issue. Isn’t that deceptive selling?

What fixes this problem? Any suggestions?
Any update on this? My wife got annoyed with the noise when she was in the Pilot today. I told her I had gotten used to it... They must have a fix by now

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only happens when decelerating or when lifting foot off the gas pedal, never when accelerating. Sound is similar to the sound of a plastic straw being pulled up through the plastic lid of a soft drink cup from a fast food restaurant! Sound is also similar to the clucking sound from a chalky box-style turkey call.
Any update on this? I have the noise and am getting tired of it.. thanks

·
Registered
11,316 Posts

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Same issue with our 2019 elite. Just started happening a month or two ago. Sounds like, yes, a straw being pulled through a plastic cap. Any updates?
This sounds like a failed front and/or rear engine mount(s). When you let off the gas the VCM causes your engine to drop cylinders creating vibration that normally is quieted by your front and rear engine mounts.
I had this "verrrt" sound too. It was solved by replacing front and rear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This sounds like a failed front and/or rear engine mount(s). When you let off the gas the VCM causes your engine to drop cylinders creating vibration that normally is quieted by your front and rear engine mounts.
I had this "verrrt" sound too. It was solved by replacing front and rear.
Mine only does this with the ac on. Was that the case with yours?

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Mine only does this with the ac on. Was that the case with yours?
The A/C is always on in our vehicle, so I'd answer yes to your question, though I don't recall testing the theory.
I later disabled the VCM when I learned the strain this function puts on your engine, engine mounts and transmission.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts