Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only happens when decelerating or when lifting foot off the gas pedal, never when accelerating. Sound is similar to the sound of a plastic straw being pulled up through the plastic lid of a soft drink cup from a fast food restaurant! Sound is also similar to the clucking sound from a chalky box-style turkey call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Only happens when decelerating or when lifting foot off the gas pedal, never when accelerating. Sound is similar to the sound of a plastic straw being pulled up through the plastic lid of a soft drink cup from a fast food restaurant! Sound is also similar to the clucking sound from a chalky box-style turkey call.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I have it also. There is another thread on here that comments on a similar thing, with a video posted. take a listen and tell us if yours sounds that way.

Interestingly enough, mine will not do it when the AC is off....

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wife and I have noticed this same noise. Careful throttle control can eliminate it but that’s a pain. Guessing it’s a vacuum type noise. 2019 Touring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I haven't heard this sound yet, as I only have 300 miles on my 19 Pilot since July 4th but if and when, I'll update!

2019 Touring AWD MSM
2016 Touring AWD MSM (traded-in)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife and I have noticed this same noise. Careful throttle control can eliminate it but that’s a pain. Guessing it’s a vacuum type noise. 2019 Touring.
Does it make the noise with the AC off? Mine doesn't. I suspect it has something to do with the AC...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m in the same way with the AC always on. Mine does not always make the noise with the AC on. Comes and goes. As above, the only common thing was letting off the accelerator which lead me to think vacuum leak or a vacuum limiting release valve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m in the same way with the AC always on. Mine does not always make the noise with the AC on. Comes and goes. As above, the only common thing was letting off the accelerator which lead me to think vacuum leak or a vacuum limiting release valve.
I was unable to root cause the issue until I read the post. I at least know how to recreate it now. Thanks!
I was able to reproduce the sound 8 out of 10 times yesterday when letting off the accelerator with AC on. This issue did not exist in Summer last year... something that happened over time. I wonder if warranty will cover the resolution.

Has anyone taken their vehicle to service for resolution of this issue yet?

Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try that. Lately, it's been so hot, the AC runs constantly. Thank you.
You are correct. The sound does not happen when AC button is switched off. Thanks for this data point. Hope it means something to my dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a dull “squeak” type noise that happens when I depress the gas pedal and deaccelerate. 2019 Touring purchased in October 2018. Didn’t hear the noise until this summer as I ran the AC more. Noise is the worst on hotter days (air system running harder?), but I also have to be listening for it as it’s not loud and it is inconsistent. Dealership told me it is the AC compressor they’ve used in the 2019 Pilots and Odysseys. They’ve heard of similar issues from other Honda mechanics. There isn’t a “fix” and a newly installed compressor will most likely do the same thing if it’s another factory compressor. Not mechanically compromising, although annoying. I know zero about how cars work so I’m just repeating what I was told.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought by 2019 Honda Touring end of April. Shortly after driving the car I noticed a squeak in engine compartment when I let up on gas or brakes applied. Mileage was less than 1,600. I took it into the Dealer in June. Dealer said it was transmission (FIRST REPAIR ATTEMPT) and ordered new transmission. Early July brought in the car to have transmission replaced. Honda Technical Rep said it wasn’t the transmission. Recommended to replace engine mounts (SECOND REPAIR ATTEMPT). Engine mounts were replaced. Squeak was still present. After extensive test drive, Honda said it was from A/C and Honda Tech said to perform deep A/C vacuum/drying (THIRD REPAIR ATTEMPT). After A/C vacuum/drying the squeak was still there. Honda Tech then said it was A/C expansion valve. But, Honda refused to replace the valve. They stated it “IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE”.

I was told by Dealer that three other customers had complained about same squeak and they also found a new car on lot with same issue.

In July I contacted Honda Customer Care. In August Honda Customer Care told me my claim was denied and that the squeak in the engine – A/C - was a normal characteristic. Customer Care Rep indicated that they were handling other customer complainants with the same issue. My complaint was closed.

Since when is a squeak in a brand-new car a normal characteristic? If Honda really thought it was a normal characteristic why did they continue to try to fix my car. It wasn’t until they couldn’t fix it after three attempts and Honda refused to replace the A/C expansion valve that they decided it was a normal characteristic. I am assuming not all 2019 Honda Pilot Touring cars have this issue.

It is clear that many 2019 Honda Pilots have this noise issue that Honda refuses to acknowledge as a problem to the customer. They sold me a car with a known issue. Isn’t that deceptive selling?

What fixes this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah. Same noise here. I haven’t taken it in. Mine seems to be getting a little worse. Sounds exactly like a straw rubbing against the lid of a drink cup

·
Registered
334 Posts
2016 Honda Pilot Elite checking in. I also have this noise on accelerating/decelerating. I can't pinpoint if it's on the inside or outside but it's a metallic rub. Since it only happens when driving I can't pinpoint the problem as I can't get my ear close enough to the noise.

I've gone to the point of taking the front and side interior to target the squeak but no luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a dull “squeak” type noise that happens when I depress the gas pedal and deaccelerate. 2019 Touring purchased in October 2018. Didn’t hear the noise until this summer as I ran the AC more. Noise is the worst on hotter days (air system running harder?), but I also have to be listening for it as it’s not loud and it is inconsistent. Dealership told me it is the AC compressor they’ve used in the 2019 Pilots and Odysseys. They’ve heard of similar issues from other Honda mechanics. There isn’t a “fix” and a newly installed compressor will most likely do the same thing if it’s another factory compressor. Not mechanically compromising, although annoying. I know zero about how cars work so I’m just repeating what I was told.
Is yours a 2WD or an AWD? Mine is a 2WD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
JerrySC
Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
Piloteers.org forum community offers tech info, troubleshooting, modification DIY’s and discussion for the Honda Pilot SUV.
Full Forum Listing