Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a certified 2019 Pilot.

My concern is only about reliability of the tranny, I want the one that lasts the longest with conservative driving.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would actually recommend the 9-speed. It had a lot of complaints early on but Honda seems to have fixed it with some software updates. It comes with an all new transmission fluid that seems to be pretty robust.

As for the 6-speed, the transmission is fine but the OEM Honda fluid, DW-1, get overheated and burned easily. This is a bad quality in a big heavy car that does not have a transmission cooler stock, and doesn't even use the radiator as a mild-cooler like many other cars (including some Hondas) do. The 6-speed is best paired with a more robust transmission fluid and an add-on transmission cooler, or more frequent fluid changes. Especially if you live in a hot climate or do much city driving.

Neither one is like the old "glass" transmissions from the early Gen 2 Odyssey.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I agree with viper, the 6 speed has some overheating issues so you’ll need to install a transmission cooler if you live in a hot place. I don’t remember how the 6 speed was in terms of smoothness but the 9 speed is soo smooth. It only acts a little weird when the engine is cold but once it warms up then you don’t feel a single shift.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
246 Posts
My 6 speed is butter smooth and I do thoroughly enjoy it. So far with 22k miles my fluid is still red and looks new but I do plan to change it at 30k miles regardless. I have read a thread where some ppl think DW1 isn't up to the job but I would disagree considering my experience with it. Do your research and test drive vehicles with both transmission to make your decision. Based off my research the 9 speed has been way more problematic than the 6 speed and the maintenance on it is significantly more expensive. IMO the 6 speed is the more reliable transmission.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think you really have to decide if you want a trim level Touring or above or the EX levels and below. That is what determined in 2019 the type of transmission you get. Are the extra items worth it to you to go with the Touring, or are you happy with fewer items and the 6 speed?

I purchased new and debated between the transmission choices and what models they came with. Decided on the 2019 Touring and am glad I did. I really had no complaints regarding the 9 speed other than a few hard shifts, or some clunking around the shift point at 24-25 mph. I recently had the update done (SB 20-029) and the transmission has been perfect since. It's only been several hundred miles so far, but noticeable even considering I wasn't having a lot of problems before.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots to think about. I drive conservatively but not hip on changing out tranny fluid all the time.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
As for the 6-speed, the transmission is fine but the OEM Honda fluid, DW-1, get overheated and burned easily. This is a bad quality in a big heavy car that does not have a transmission cooler stock, and doesn't even use the radiator as a mild-cooler like many other cars (including some Hondas) do.
The 6-speed ATF does have a heat/cool exchanger with the coolant. This is mounted on the outside of the transmission.

But as you stated, there is no transmission cooler. This device is certainly inadequate to cool the transmission in moderate conditions. Such as a hot summer day in stop and go traffic. Much less extreme conditions.
I think I'd choose a 9-speed although I probably be looking for a good used 2012-2015 with a preferred 5-speed.

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
846 Posts
Lots to think about. I drive conservatively but not hip on changing out tranny fluid all the time.
The 9 speed calls for fluid exchange every 60000 miles. However the cost of the 3.1 fluid is around $24.00 and you need between 3-4 quarts each time.

The 6 speed calls for fluid exchange more often, but the fluid is available for much less per quart, perhaps around $5.00-6.00?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
6-speed is very easy to drain and fill. 9-speed takes a little more effort.
1st thing on my priority list (especially if buying a 6-speed) would be to disable the VCM.

Reactions: Hondamon
1 - 9 of 9 Posts