Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 Pilot with AWD. I was curious to see what gas mileage I would be getting, both in normal and econ modes. After 2000 miles of mostly commuter driving, I see NO Difference in MPG between the two modes. Possible explanation is that since acceleration is reduced in Econ mode it makes me get on the gas a little harder to equal the acceleration on normal mode, thus bringing down the MPG I would have gained in econ mode. not much experience in strictly highway driving, so curious to see if it would be any better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2019 pilot elite has 3300 miles and so far combined MPG is 20. My commute is mostly highway with some city driving. Most of the time in normal mode with Econ on but at times I have to change it to sport mode haha.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I've noticed no mpg difference in econ mode on both the highway and city. It definitely limits throttle input potentially saving gas but real world mpg has been exactly the same for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My pilot only has 3300 and so far combined of 20 is not bad not too far from the 22 combined it should be getting. With some more miles driven I can easily see the pilot getting 22 combined.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It sounds like the bigger question here is whether or not the ECON mode really makes a difference (and if so, to what degree and/or perhaps under which circumstances).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To the_dude - Exactly my point. If it makes no difference, why have Econ mode at all? Marketing? I'd be curious to see what Honda says.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I have a 2016 Touring AWD and when I do a Vegas to CA drive I can touch 29MPG if there is no headwind. With a headwind as low as 22MPG highway, usually normal Drive with 2 adults and 2 kids about 75-80MPH.

When I mostly do street driving about 16MPG unless I do econ and drive like a grandma with little hwy I can do 21MPG. When my wife daily drove it, mostly hwy with some street she got about 20MPG average. This is all through the display, when I would calculate it by miles and gallons to full it was usually about 1-2MPG less than the display although I only did it mathematically a handful of times back when I lived in Orange County, CA with tons of traffic.

Overall gas mileage is what I would expect for an SUV this size and my driving style. I did notice that with the AC off it actually makes a difference on the cooler months, that is why I think Econ mode also dials back the AC as well as the throttle response.

I think my favorite mode when I want SOME extra mpg without feeling like a dog is Econ with Sport enabled.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I have a 2016 Touring AWD and when I do a Vegas to CA drive I can touch 29MPG if there is no headwind. With a headwind as low as 22MPG highway, usually normal Drive with 2 adults and 2 kids about 75-80MPH.

When I mostly do street driving about 16MPG unless I do econ and drive like a grandma with little hwy I can do 21MPG. When my wife daily drove it, mostly hwy with some street she got about 20MPG average. This is all through the display, when I would calculate it by miles and gallons to full it was usually about 1-2MPG less than the display although I only did it mathematically a handful of times back when I lived in Orange County, CA with tons of traffic.

Overall gas mileage is what I would expect for an SUV this size and my driving style. I did notice that with the AC off it actually makes a difference on the cooler months, that is why I think Econ mode also dials back the AC as well as the throttle response.

I think my favorite mode when I want SOME extra mpg without feeling like a dog is Econ with Sport enabled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have 2017 9 speed is about 21mpg combination. free way is about 25mpg i know cause i have automatic odb that works kind of accurate

·
Registered
51 Posts
2017 EX-L
20350 mile history
22.69 MPG calculated
Car computer overstated MPG by 7.57% over the 20350 mile history

Note 3 Ohio-FL-Ohio trips in history
1 Ohio-south TX-Ohio trip in history

other driving mix rural/city

I do not use ECON

·
Registered
29 Posts
Curious of all mentioning calculated mpg vs car computer systems...unless you're filling your tank at the same pump, in exactly the same manner, how do you know you're more accurate with you mileage calculation vs car computer mpg? Doesn't the vehicle computer account for all aspects of operation and driving style...probably splitting hairs here but perhaps there should be a degree of error factored into mpg calculations?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I get 26 mpg on my 19 Touring AWD (27 mpg if i really try to be cautious) during may daily commute which is 22 miles one way. 20 miles on hwy and 2 on side streets. This is during moderate traffic.19-20 mpg in the city. My average is currently at 21.2 mpg with about 1600 miles on the car. Very low and very high speeds usually cause the worst mpgs. I never use ECO mode.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Curious of all mentioning calculated mpg vs car computer systems...unless you're filling your tank at the same pump, in exactly the same manner, how do you know you're more accurate with you mileage calculation vs car computer mpg? Doesn't the vehicle computer account for all aspects of operation and driving style...probably splitting hairs here but perhaps there should be a degree of error factored into mpg calculations?
Your question has to do with tank-to-tank variation vs. consistent bias high or low. Yes, there will be tank-to-tank variation in hand-computed gas mileage due to variations in different pumps at gas stations, but it will be smoothed out over a few tanks and the average number over several tanks will be VERY accurate. The computer, OTOH, is figuring gas mileage based on accumulated data from the car's fuel injection system which is subject to errors which will consistently bias the result one way or the other. And fuel flow is not measured directly - it is inferred from how long the fuel injectors are on (pulse width) and estimated fuel pressure. Given this, the car makers usually put in some deliberate bias to have the computer mileage read a bit high as car owner's like to see better mileage on their dash, even if it is not as accurate. Most owners report that the computer over-estimates mileage.

- Mark

·
Registered
415 Posts
looks like nothing has changed with the 2019. If you look at the original mpg thread. the mileage computer is generous. by 2-3 mpg easy.

keep in mind a lot of things vary, headwind, elevation, hills, 2wd, awd, HOW FAST your going on your highway runs.

it still get good mpg for this size of a vehicle compared to others in its class. i was just wishing it didnt require to put much effort and watching my style of driving to achieve it. i know there are many cars where epa is under so when you are purposely trying to get the best mpg, you get a lot more and you are very pleased, so when you arent even trying you get the actual rated mpg. the pilot is not like that. you purposely have to try to get that mpg or you wont most of the time. throttle pressure, econ or not etc. then as mentioned its overstated so when you actually do your own calculations and see its 2-3 mpg its disappointing.

i have 17 awd touring. i do a lot of highway driving. i would say for example a 130 mile trip, with 15% of it going up hill on a highway and 10% going through some lights. if i try, and im driving 70-80mph during the open road, and going 40-60mph through that hill climp and through the portion with lights. i have hit 27-28MPG STATED ON THE COMPUTER. But actual calculation as metnioned by many, is 2-3 mpg less so lands me about 25MPG. which is about whats stated epa IIRC. i have done this drive MANY times, filling up SAME gas, SAME station. so thats whyi believe everyone who says the 2-3 mpg off. its true.

And econ doesnt really make a difference. econ only helps for those who suck at throttle control. Econ basically forces you your heavy foot to drive more conservative. But its not needed for those who can manipulate the throttle.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I though Econ mode shut down a cylinder, which should save on gas.
On the 3rd Gen Pilot 2016 thru 2019, 'Econ' mode has nothing to do with VCM. VCM is a totally independent system with no controls available to the driver other than stepping on the gas petal.

'Econ' mode lessons the sensitivity of the gas petal, changes air conditioning performance (possible less comfortable) and cruise control settings. All to try saving a little gas. Has nothing to do with cylinder management.

Reactions: EFICTION

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2019 Elite is averaging 19-20 around town, and 26-27 hwy. I don't use the Econ mode. My trip computer is also fairly accurate and within .5 mpgs vs hand calculated. I'm a pretty conservative driver, I don't race to the next red light and hwy speeds are 70-75 mph.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2019 Elite is averaging 19-20 around town, and 26-27 hwy. I don't use the Econ mode. My trip computer is also fairly accurate and within .5 mpgs vs hand calculated. I'm a pretty conservative driver, I don't race to the next red light and hwy speeds are 70-75 mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts