Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Piloteers. I'm new to this forum but not new to the car modding scene. I'm a big BMW & track enthusiast and post a bunch of DIYs on my YouTube channel (SeanS54). I've been doing a ton of research on modding Pilots (Passports, Ridgelines) but there's not much information out there.

Here's my contribution, a video of my pilot with 17 inch wheels and 265/70/17 All Terrain Tires. I also lifted my Pilot 2 inches front and rear so stay tuned for the DIY videos.

For now, here's my new wheel setup:

Lift DIY

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm digging the Pilot! Well done and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Those are some beefy tires for a 3rd gen. Hows the rub when you stuff them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm digging the Pilot! Well done and welcome to the forum.
Thanks!

Those are some beefy tires for a 3rd gen. Hows the rub when you stuff them?
Minor rub on the inside rear of the front fenders only during near full lock (u-turns, leaving tight parking spots). No rub going straight or driving turns. I did an easy fix- cutting some fender liner and minor metal massaging. :)

Welcome @SeanS54 ...wheel+tire combo looks great! Looking forward to your 2" lift kit build of the Pilot.
Thanks. Lift video will be posted soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Piloteers. I'm new to this forum but not new to the car modding scene. I'm a big BMW & track enthusiast and post a bunch of DIYs on my YouTube channel (SeanS54). I've been doing a ton of research on modding Pilots (Passports, Ridgelines) but there's not much information out there.

Here's my contribution, a video of my pilot with 17 inch wheels and 265/70/17 All Terrain Tires. I also lifted my Pilot 2 inches front and rear so stay tuned for the DIY videos.

For now, here's my new wheel setup:

Lift DIY

Welcome and nice setup OP. If you don't mind me asking, what lift kit brand did you use? I know Jsport, Truxxx and Traxda are offering some for our Pilots. The reason I asked because of alignment implications, did you align yours after install?(wonder if its REQUIRED)

My future setup would be a very subtle combo of; 1.5 leveling kit from Truxx/Jsport and a rear lift of .05 from Traxda. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi SeanS54,

Nice to see the Pilot on a 17" with the 31.xx size tire. I also have the Truxxx 2" lift but went with a 265/60/18 Ridge Grappler. I get minor rub near full lock as well despite it being a 30.5" but on trails and such it is not an issue. Will you be planning any off road/trail videos as well? You are right there is not much out there for content except for JonDZ Adventures for the Passport.

Welcome and nice setup OP. If you don't mind me asking, what lift kit brand did you use? I know Jsport, Truxxx and Traxda are offering some for our Pilots. The reason I asked because of alignment implications, did you align yours after install?(wonder if its REQUIRED)

My future setup would be a very subtle combo of; 1.5 leveling kit from Truxx/Jsport and a rear lift of .05 from Traxda. Thanks!
Sounds like we both have the same lift kit. With the Truxxx one I had +0.5 Camber in the front. I do not know if stock is an even 0.0 or what but the Honda Tech said it was within spec when he aligned it (who knows what his skill level as a tech was though). There is a camber bolt out there but since I try to take it on trails often I am not sure how strong the bolt is and decided against it. I have about 1000 miles on the tires and they seem fine so far.

I mostly went Truxxx because their customer service was great and the price was half that of the Traxda kit. I wanted to go Jsport but I know I needed more lift than their kit offered since some of my trails get pretty rutted and stock I would kiss the skid plate a few times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you checked how far off your speedo is with the bigger tire? There is a app called "speedometer" that I got off the Apple App Store for free to check it with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aggrex, can you use your JK programmer on the Pilot to calibrate the speedo?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Aggrex, can you use your JK programmer on the Pilot to calibrate the speedo?
Never tried but the JK specific programmers are designed only for JKs. There are some computer savy jeepers that have figured out how to tap into the OBD port to access diagnostic trouble codes, and live data to change certain key functions for much less than the original $300 JK programmer. We just need to locate a big Honda enthusiast with similar skill sets to program for tire size, shift points etc. Check out JSCAN.net to see the capabilities that have been opened up for various FCA vehicles. Pilots easily max out in tire size so larger tires will only have a limited range in error for speedometer accuracy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear Lift DIY posted!

I went with the Truxxx kit for the cost and simplicity. Jsport is over priced and doesn't offer a rear setup. I feel the Traxda front camber plates may be more troublesome than good. When I contacted Truxxx they said they can put together a 1.5" F and 0.5" R kit for me, although it's not on their website. Reach out to them and ask.

Any time you make suspension changes alignment is definitely required. I'm going to get one soon and post my results.

Hi SeanS54,

Nice to see the Pilot on a 17" with the 31.xx size tire. I also have the Truxxx 2" lift but went with a 265/60/18 Ridge Grappler. I get minor rub near full lock as well despite it being a 30.5" but on trails and such it is not an issue. Will you be planning any off road/trail videos as well? You are right there is not much out there for content except for JonDZ Adventures for the Passport.

Sounds like we both have the same lift kit. With the Truxxx one I had +0.5 Camber in the front. I do not know if stock is an even 0.0 or what but the Honda Tech said it was within spec when he aligned it (who knows what his skill level as a tech was though). There is a camber bolt out there but since I try to take it on trails often I am not sure how strong the bolt is and decided against it. I have about 1000 miles on the tires and they seem fine so far.

I mostly went Truxxx because their customer service was great and the price was half that of the Traxda kit. I wanted to go Jsport but I know I needed more lift than their kit offered since some of my trails get pretty rutted and stock I would kiss the skid plate a few times.
JonDZ was part of my inspiration. My brother in law has a modified 4runner so I may hit the trails with him every now and then and see how the Pilot does.

I'm going to get an alignment soon so we'll see how close to specs I can get it.

Looks Great! Thank you for sharing.

How's the road noise and mpg with those things?
Thanks! Road noise is surprisingly not bad. With the radio off you can hear a little bit more noise but nothing crazy. I went with the General ATX based on TireRack's reviews. I haven't driven enough miles to calculate mpgs but I will in the coming weeks. I'm curious to know how the bigger/heavier wheels and the 2.0" lift affects my MPG.

Have you checked how far off your speedo is with the bigger tire? There is a app called "speedometer" that I got off the Apple App Store for free to check it with.
I haven't used an App but I referenced Tire Size Calculator. There's a few speedo radars around town and the calculations are fairly accurate.

When my speedo says 30 I'm actually going 32. When my speedo says 60 I'm actually going 64; at 80 it's actually 85.4. At low speeds I'm going about 2 MPH faster and at higher speeds about 4 MPH faster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@SeanS54 Nice, yeah I am telling you I thought I needed to trade in the Pilot for what I wanted to do until I saw his videos. I am hoping the Passport community grows enough that we see more serious parts like springs/struts and diffs so that the Pilot can ride the Passport coat tails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@SeanS54 Nice, yeah I am telling you I thought I needed to trade in the Pilot for what I wanted to do until I saw his videos. I am hoping the Passport community grows enough that we see more serious parts like springs/struts and diffs so that the Pilot can ride the Passport coat tails.
Agreed. We need more aftermarket options for the Pilot. I just posted my alignment and review of the lift.

I'll be posting a skid plate DIY in the coming weeks. Stay tune.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey, any increase in tire rub after the lift? You mentioned you had some minor before, did it get worse? Did you have to do any additional adjustments to the wheel well trim? Great work on the videos. The car looks awesome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, any increase in tire rub after the lift? You mentioned you had some minor before, did it get worse? Did you have to do any additional adjustments to the wheel well trim? Great work on the videos. The car looks awesome!
Did the rub increase or decrease after the lift?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great videos on your Pilot lift kit and watched a few others in your collection.
Thanks for watching!

Did the rub increase or decrease after the lift?
The rubbing was the same before and after the lift because the rubbing is at the bottom of the front back fenders when full lock turning (rears do not rub), not the top of the fender (think lowered sports cars). I went with an aggressive setup and my tires are about 2 inches bigger than stock (265/70/17). If you go 1 inch bigger than stock you'll probably be fine but it also depends on the wheel offset.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts