1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dash Cam - Sound ON and you can hear the crunch/judder a few times

2019 Pilot EX-L
50,000 miles
Prior transmission troubles caused dealer to drain and fill transmission around 40,000 miles

Yesterday, at 17mph (and almost exactly at 17 mph every single time) the vehicle felt like it couldn't find a gear and would lurch. It felt like the engine was going to clunk out of the vehicle. I pulled over and turned it off and then restarted and it didn't happen like that anymore.

For a while now I've noticed that downshifts are really harsh coming from gear 3 to 2 or 2 to 1. Upon downshift the vehicle lurches forward. But I don't know if it's related.

I took it into a dealer yesterday and the service tech made a note in the computer and watched the video but didn't do any diagnostics, and didn't look at any setting other than the mileage. (Perhaps because it's a drive train issue that would be covered under warranty and they wouldn't make as much money??)

I've seen there are some TSBs about similar issues, but maybe I've missed something.

ANY Idea what caused the clunk? Transmission? Torque Converter?

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
That's bad. Ask for a new transmission.

Reactions: RegularGuy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's bad. Ask for a new transmission.
They didn't even take it in to do a diagnostic on it. I'd love a new transmission. How do I go about getting covered under warranty? (Drive train warranty is 60,000 miles - so it has to be in the next 10,000 miles)

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
They didn't even take it in to do a diagnostic on it. I'd love a new transmission. How do I go about getting covered under warranty? (Drive train warranty is 60,000 miles - so it has to be in the next 10,000 miles)
What's recorded in your video is proof of that the longevity of your transmission has come into question. Ask for a new transmission or warranty on it as long as you own the vehicle.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ask to talk to the service mgr, show vid, take on test drive if you think you can reproduce the issue. If they aren't receptive ask for the regional rep. to contact you.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You don't mention if any CEL or transmission warning light was displayed. If a transmission related CEL occurred, this should be in the computer memory, and the dealer can retrieve it. However, just because nothing is stored in vehicle memory, that does not let Honda off the hook. Slvr7 has good advice. Document your experience, and press Honda to correct the situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask to talk to the service mgr, show vid, take on test drive if you think you can reproduce the issue. If they aren't receptive ask for the regional rep. to contact you.
After I pulled over and restarted it the issue didn't return. At least not like in the video. I didn't know it might be stored in the computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't mention if any CEL or transmission warning light was displayed. If a transmission related CEL occurred, this should be in the computer memory, and the dealer can retrieve it. However, just because nothing is stored in vehicle memory, that does not let Honda off the hook. Slvr7 has good advice. Document your experience, and press Honda to correct the situation.
No lights. No check engine or transmission lights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Vcm and enginemount issue?

If you look up vcm issues there is a clunk some people experience at low speeds when the vcm is activating or disactivating which then i believe the engine mount are used to do this

When i read up on this i think people ended up having to need new engine mounts and a vcm muzzler to fix this or just a muzzler to stop the clunking

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vcm and enginemount issue?

If you look up vcm issues there is a clunk some people experience at low speeds when the vcm is activating or disactivating which then i believe the engine mount are used to do this

When i read up on this i think people ended up having to need new engine mounts and a vcm muzzler to fix this or just a muzzler to stop the clunking
I highly doubt it's a vcm issue... Very highly doubt that vcm was engaged. Just call it a strong feeling...

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
I highly doubt it's a vcm issue... Very highly doubt that vcm was engaged. Just call it a strong feeling...
If you are accelerating very much, the VCM is not engaged, at any speed.

Reactions: MtMan and ls973800

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
If you are accelerating very much, the VCM is not engaged, at any speed.
You can't continuously accelerate. The VCM will activate.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Nail Grease just go with the assumption that VCM was not engaged. I think he kind of means it like a Dominion guy saying he has a very strong feeling that Biden will "win" the election.
Ok 🤦‍♂️, well, but,
What goes up must come down.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
You can't continuously accelerate. The VCM will activate.
Of course my friend. I meant that if the noise was when he was accelerating from a stop, I don't think it would be in VCM mode?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: the headliner by the rearview mirror is soaked after a rain so I'm taking it in again tomorrow and going to ask them to fix the transmission (or whatever it was) while they have it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Nail Grease just go with the assumption that VCM was not engaged. I think he kind of means it like a Dominion guy saying he has a very strong feeling that Biden will "win" the election.
Why don't you Trumpies go drink your Koolaid somewhere else. This site is about helping people with their Pilots.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,311 Posts
Update: the headliner by the rearview mirror is soaked after a rain so I'm taking it in again tomorrow and going to ask them to fix the transmission (or whatever it was) while they have it.
Its got a warranty, Honda problem. Sounds like a very very rough shift to me. Please let us know what Honda decides to do....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm on my way to pick it up after the service tech says it's not "throwing a code" and they cannot reproduce the error.

Is there a printout of tests I should request?

There's just no way this is normal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts