Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own a 2016 EXL AWD. I love everything about this vehicle. The engine is great. I tow a family of 7 all the way to Utah with Yakima roof rack with no issues. The only thing that bothers is the touchscreen FM radio. Also there's no apple car play. Anyway the 2019 model should have many improvements in this aspect. I won't an Atlas. This car is use by Facebook as one of the employee transportation in the HQ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

I am really debating between the Atlas and Pilot EX-L. I like the way the Pilot drives better and the interior, but reading some of these posts gives me pause. It seems a lot of issues are related to the RES and nine-speed transmission in the upper trims but I do see a fair bit of Exl problems here too, whether it’s radio, paint issues, etc.

So I guess what I’m looking for is feedback on whether you would buy this car again if given the choice?
You want a super reliable, comfortable mid-size SUV that won't let you down and will hold resale value in the most amazing way? Toyota 4Runner or Highlander are your choices. If you're looking for disappointment and alot of time spent at the dealer ('til the warranty expires), VW is your choice. The thing about Honda is that, while most of the sedans and coups participate in the performance-enthusiast milieu born of Honda's genesis as a motorcycle manufacturer, the SUV's (or minivan) do NOT. People buy Pilots, CRV's, Odyssey's and Ridgelines (still an answer to a question I don't think anyone asked) because they really love their Civics and Accords.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
19 Posts
Hi all, I got my 2019 Pilot EX-L AWD 2 months ago and I am loving it. I have a friend who has a 2017 EXL 2WD and compared the handling and big difference with AWD. So far I have less than 2K miles on it and no problem yet. Even the android integration is working fine, an up compared to the 2017 model software. I opted for the EXL since this is the highest trim that doesn't have the problematic 9 speed tranny. I originally compared the Pilot with Ascent (unfortunately, not the Atlas) but the seats on the Pilot are much more comfortable in my opinion

Compared to Atlas, ChrisG105 is correct, parts for VW are more expensive than Hondas. I know because my brother owned a VW Beetle and that car goes back and forth to the shop and parts are not cheap even compared to my TSX before.

I sold my TSX to get the Pilot and I am surprised the handling of the Pilot AWD system is better than the TSX on cornering.

Lane assist and braking are annoying but you'll get used to it. At least the EXL doesn't have the auto start functionality which I heard is annoying to some Piloteers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I am really debating between the Atlas and Pilot EX-L. I like the way the Pilot drives better and the interior, but reading some of these posts gives me pause. It seems a lot of issues are related to the RES and nine-speed transmission in the upper trims but I do see a fair bit of Exl problems here too, whether it’s radio, paint issues, etc.

So I guess what I’m looking for is feedback on whether you would buy this car again if given the choice?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I sold my TSX to get the Pilot and I am surprised the handling of the Pilot AWD system is better than the TSX on cornering.
hmm are you sure? i have both a (2nd gen) TSX 6mt and an AWD pilot, and there is no way the pilot handles/corners better that a TSX.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Of the 2019 Honda Pilots sold so far (160,000 sold in 2018), don't let a few posters scare you. All brands / models of vehicles have issues from time to time, but as far as reliability & resale value, Honda is one of the top brands.

We've had no issues with our 2019 Pilot Touring and would buy another without hesitation.
I would not pay attention to most of the negative posts. I have 2019 9 speed touring and love it. No problem at all. If you are concern, buy extended warranty. Before I had a 2006 EXL. I looked at Atlas less torque and Hp. PILOT has better quality.

·
Registered
132 Posts
People buy Pilots, CRV's, Odyssey's and Ridgelines (still an answer to a question I don't think anyone asked) because they really love their Civics and Accords.
I disagree. I wanted a 3-row crossover SUV because it fits my lifestyle 100%. I could never do with a car of any kind.

I bought the Pilot ('19 touring) after comparing to ALL of the competition and deciding it was hands down the best option available by a long shot IMO:

VW - poor mechanical history as noted in this thread, plus after the emissions scandal, well, I'd never buy from that mfgr.
Chevy - well, it's a Chevy, and I had too many of those in the past that were POS's, will never go there again.
Ford - see Chevy
Dodge - same as Ford and Chevy, except I've never owned one because they are even worse IMO.
Mazda - hated the styling, and it didn't compare well in any of the ratings I reviewed. Plus 4cyl turbo was a dealbreaker.
Nissan - Ugliest styling, CVT transmission, no Android auto are dealbreakers.

None of those made the short list by a mile.

So it came down to...

Subaru - I really liked a lot about it but the turbo flat-four engine and CVT transmission were both deal breakers. Plus it's a 1st model year, never going there again.
Toyota - Didn't like the exterior styling as much as the Pilot, but liked everything else a lot, in fact it was a close 2nd, EXCEPT no Android Auto, and that's a deal breaker there.
Pilot - I loved everything about it, zero complaints honestly. After I test drove it I decided not to even bother with the Subaru and Highlander because I didn't even care about any more comparisons

So for me it had nothing to do with Civics and Accords, and all to do with ... it's exactly the vehicle I wanted in all respects.

·
Registered
132 Posts
auto start functionality which I heard is annoying to some Piloteers.
Not really that annoying... putting it in drive is 2 button presses instead of one. Similar to pushing the lock button on a traditional stick shift before you pull it back (2-steps)... Once you've done it 10x, its engrained in your brain and no annoyance at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

My short answer is no. I have a 2016 EX-L. I like the way it drives and there have been no problems with the engine and the transmission. Beyond that I have had a lot of little problems. I have had 6 or 7 Hondas before this and had virtually no problems. On a couple of them that I bought I also bought the 7 year/100k extended warranty and had zero problems for the 7 years. Unfortunately I did not buy that warranty on the 2016 Pilot. After a few nuisance problems which were covered by my 3yr/36k factory warranty within 3 months of that warranty expiring the heater on the driver's seat bottom went out, the tailgate hinge cover fell off, and I started receiving an intermittent "KEYLESS START SYSTEM PROBLEM" message on my dashboard (which I have spent $350 to 'fix' so far and I suspect the issues with that are not done - based on experiences reported by other folks on this Piloteer website).

I was a huge cheerleader for the Honda brand (extending to power washers, lawn mowers, outboard motor, etc.). I recommended Honda to many people. My local dealer has been good but Honda of America has been terrible. So I am now to the point where I recommend people look to another brand. My 2013 Accord (70k) has been good and I will continue to drive it but I certainly wouldn't recommend this version of the Pilot

·
Registered
235 Posts
BMPeter posted, " bought the Pilot ('19 touring) after comparing to ALL of the competition and deciding it was hands down the best option available by a long shot IMO:

VW - poor mechanical history as noted in this thread, plus after the emissions scandal, well, I'd never buy from that mfgr.
Chevy - well, it's a Chevy, and I had too many of those in the past that were POS's, will never go there again.
Ford - see Chevy
Dodge - same as Ford and Chevy, except I've never owned one because they are even worse IMO.
Mazda - hated the styling, and it didn't compare well in any of the ratings I reviewed. Plus 4cyl turbo was a dealbreaker.
Nissan - Ugliest styling, CVT transmission, no Android auto are dealbreakers.

None of those made the short list by a mile."
Wow, I could have penned this!! My thoughts EXACTLY

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
19 Posts
hmm are you sure? i have both a (2nd gen) TSX 6mt and an AWD pilot, and there is no way the pilot handles/corners better that a TSX.
Well, mine is an 07 with AT. Even my wife swear that the Pilot seems to handle better on curves at 70mph. Mine is a bone stock TSX. One thing, I don't want to argue with wifey.:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2017 Pilot and NO I would not buy it again. My transmission drops into D4 for no logical reason while driving at various speeds. Although still under warranty, service rep said $149 diagnostic fee. My son (mechanic) said sell it while there is still warranty and let somebody else solve the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

For driving experience, try them both. For reliability, if it helps, Honda Pilot (I currently own a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD- luckily I change the tire from factory to Pirelli. The Pirelli's they are much quieter tires). No major issues on this SUV; I only do oil, gear oil, transmission fluid change, brake parts and brake fluid change, and rear shocks change.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot and NO I would not buy it again. My transmission drops into D4 for no logical reason while driving at various speeds. Although still under warranty, service rep said $149 diagnostic fee. My son (mechanic) said sell it while there is still warranty and let somebody else solve the problem.
How is there any fee if the vehicle is still covered by warranty?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey, I can understand your concern. Every manufacturer has quality issues, even Lexus/Toyota. Chances are people who are happy complain less but they also don't praise.

I have about 10,000 on my 19 Touring AWD and I am very happy overall. Is it true about noisy suspension? A little bit. But the car is fairly quiet on a highway. Also, it depends To what car you compare. The tranny works well but it behaves differently than others. It will take some getting used to at first. I have had no issues so far to report.

My advice - go take the car on an extended test drive. Drive it on a highway, in stop and go, on rough roads, spend a little time with it. Make sure you understand what you are getting. Your preferences will be different than mine or anyone else. Only you can be a true judge of how the car is built and how it drives. BTW, AWD is amazing:) I also like my premium stereo. I like getting 28 mpg on a highway. It's fairly fast too. I chose Pilot over Acura MDX, I liked it better.

Good luck
Hi All,

·
Registered
172 Posts
But the car is fairly quiet on a highway.
Seems like there's noticeable wind noise though. Would have hoped they would have that figured out by this point and on a more expensive model (and/or trim) as well, given that something like that are similarly noticeably on older Accords or CR-Vs, for example.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've had a 2016 EX-L, 2017 EX-L Navi and now a 2019 EX-L Navi - all Canadian versions. The '16 was problem plagued. I had the transmission replaced at 10,000 kms. I had other problems with the '16 so when given an opportunity to jump into the '17 Pilot, I jumped. I figured the problems with the '16 was a combo of first year problems and most likely a dud of a vehicle. But, the dealership looked after me so I was okay moving to the '17. The '17 was flawless.

My '19 Pilot has been plagued with infotainment and navigation mapping problems. Right after this purchase my Honda dealership was sold and new staff there provided absolutely dismal service. Even Honda Canada provided sub par service when I reached out to them to have the issues resolved. The dealer poor service was easily resolved as I simply went to another dealer. Honda Canada's response though was most disappointing as it took months of multiple phone calls before Honda Canada & Garmin admitted that there was an error with the navigation mapping system and the only solution offered was to wait a year for the next update. Very disappointing that Honda would not stand behind its products.

To answer your question, would I buy another? At this time No, I would not. I accept that it is simply a machine and that problems can arise. What I cannot accept though is the breadth of the problems and the poor service that is provided when dealing with these problems. We have had far better reliability issues with vehicles costing less than half of the Pilot, and far better service from other manufacturers.
I am sorry to hear your hardships dealing with Honda Canada. I had a similar experience, albeit the issues were very minors. First I complained about the seat heaters not activated when remote started the car, and their reply was someone had to sit on it for it to warm up (I immediately thought a case when it was -20 C outside, who would need such a silly system?); second thing was that I had some issue with the auto idle stop and navigation issues, asked if my extended warranty would cover them. No reply for a week, and then came with email saying I had to pay dealer diagnostics fees to find out.

needless to say, if someone asks me to recommend Honda, I would say stay clear of it. Honda is no longer the Honda we knew from before.

Reactions: Puffin

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Another factor to consider is the IIHS headlight ratings.
Pilot is rated either 'good' or 'acceptable' while Atlas is rated either 'marginal' or 'poor'.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts