Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving over bumps in the road the rear suspension is very loud and clunks. It is really bad when driving slow ~25mph. I have 20,000 miles on my Pilot. Anyone else have this issue?

I looked at the Acura MDX forum and they also have this problem. Looks like Acura has a TSB fixing it.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-035.PDF

Anyone know if Honda has the same solution?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a new 2021 EX AWD. I noticed very annoying rear suspension thud/clunk as soon as I got a couple of miles from the dealership. it was late and the dealership was closing as I drove away. so I emailed the sales manager right away and I brought it back the next day. he rode with me and claimed he didn't hear anything. I persisted until the service manager rode with me. At first he claimed he didn't hear anything. Then he said my driving style was pretty aggressive. HUH? so I'm driving it wrong by going over normal bumps in the road at 25-30mph? He finally said he heard something and they kept it for a few hours. He called and told me they found a couple of loose heat shield bolts or I was probably hearing the muffler banging around on it's rubber mounts. I picked it up and immediately heard the same thuds and clunks from the rear suspension. There's definitely something not right. I'm taking it back Tuesday to have them try again. Very frustrating to be dealing with this on a brand new car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got a new 2021 EX AWD. I noticed very annoying rear suspension thud/clunk as soon as I got a couple of miles from the dealership. it was late and the dealership was closing as I drove away. so I emailed the sales manager right away and I brought it back the next day. he rode with me and claimed he didn't hear anything. I persisted until the service manager rode with me. At first he claimed he didn't hear anything. Then he said my driving style was pretty aggressive. HUH? so I'm driving it wrong by going over normal bumps in the road at 25-30mph? He finally said he heard something and they kept it for a few hours. He called and told me they found a couple of loose heat shield bolts or I was probably hearing the muffler banging around on it's rubber mounts. I picked it up and immediately heard the same thuds and clunks from the rear suspension. There's definitely something not right. I'm taking it back Tuesday to have them try again. Very frustrating to be dealing with this on a brand new car.
In my opinion, you are hearing the suspension vibrate and reverberate the metal floor. I hear it in mine on choppy roads. If I keep this car, I will dynamat the floor over the rear suspension.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to rule out the basics, do you have a hitch installed? At least on my car, the hitch receiver is loose such that when the ball mount is installed, it rattles quite a bit when going over bumps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When driving over bumps in the road the rear suspension is very loud and clunks. It is really bad when driving slow ~25mph. I have 20,000 miles on my Pilot. Anyone else have this issue?

I looked at the Acura MDX forum and they also have this problem. Looks like Acura has a TSB fixing it.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-035.PDF

Anyone know if Honda has the same solution?
I‘m not aware of a similar TSB for the Pilot. While my Pilot is noisy on bumpy roads at low speeds, its not overly annoying and has been present since new. My son’s 2019 Pilot is similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my 2019 Touring. After 3 trips to the dealer and finally taking a good tech for a test drive he figured it out. The issue ended up being that the parking brakes were very loose and needed to be adjusted. The sound was awful and sounded like metal rattling around when I went over bumps. It is worth checking this out as it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot Elite
12 Posts
I have the same clunk in my 2018 elite. I will have the parking brakes checked and let y’all know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts