Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Pilot forum but have done a little researching answers before I posted.
I just bought a 2019 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD and have some questions on towing.
I plan to install the Honda hitch and harness but will also get our mechanic or Honda to install the ATF cooler to get the 5000 Lbs towing.

Is anyone towing the following with Honda Pilot? It looks like the Pilot can tow theses but wanted some real life experiences.
Rockwood 19FBS (dry hitch weight 413 lbs UVW: 3860 lbs CCC: 898 lbs Axel 2564 lbs GVWR 3913)
Rockwood 19FD ( 390 , 2829 , 1061, 2564 , 2980)
Flagstaff E-Pro 19FBS (same as Rockwood)
Flagstaff E-Pro 19FD (same as Rockwood)
Are you using a weight distribution and sway control?
What are you seeing for your tongue weight?
How does your pilot handle the load, terrain, off-road, strain, mileage?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
35 Posts
TekNoZar:
I take a different approach to towing a Travel Trailer (TT) with my Pilot (2016 EX-L AWD): I don't want to be even CLOSE to my max towing capacity of 5000lbs. Consequently, I have smaller/shorter TTs on my Short List (in no order of preference):
-- Lance 1475 or 1575
-- Airstream Basecamp "X"
-- [email protected] 320 S Boondock Edge (or possibly a [email protected] 400 Boondock Lite)
-- Scamp 13' or 16'
...these are well within my Pilot's capacity (and not your average "crap-built" TTs, which I for sure do NOT want so paying more for better quality is not an issue) and I'm way more comfortable knowing I'm not unnecessarily stressing the Pilot as I have 1000-1500lbs (or more!) "cushion."
However, after I pay off my Pilot (in about a year) -- if I don't get one of the smaller-length Class B motor-homes (like a Winnebago Revel 4x4 44E) for my "Daily Driver" and camper (of course!) -- I may get a mid-size pickup truck (possibly a 2020 Ford Ranger at that time, or a 2020 Chevy ZR2). The Ranger's towing capacity is even greater (2500lbs more) than my Pilot's (the ZR2 is the SAME as the Pilot - 5000lbs), and my "cushion" would be increased nicely if I got the Ranger and towed one of the smaller TTs in my Short List above.
Still, if I wanted something larger/longer (and heavier) -- like the 19' TTs you listed -- then the truck (mid-size trucks EXCEPT the ZR2) should be able to handle those weights, too. But again, whatever I'd tow with the truck, I'd still want that 1000-1500lbs "cushion" (which sadly crosses-off the ZR2).
Maybe that's just me though wanting to be well UNDER my towing capacity...
Happy Towing (whatever TT you get),
-- BR

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm towing a 4klb dry weight Passport 239ml with my 2016, which is quite heavier than anything on your list. I think all of those would tow just fine.

Absolutely invest in a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. The sheer size of these trailers compared to the pilot will kind of drag you around on the road when it's windy. Mine has about a 350-400lb hitch weight with the WDH.

Power has never been a problem for me, but as I said, be prepared for the camper to act like a sail pulling you around a bit. Also, drag from the big tractor trailers will pull you in a bit. It's definitely more susceptible to this compared to towing with an F250.

With my setup I'm averaging around 11mpg at 60-65mph driving in D4.

One last thing, plan to get a good proportional brake controller. The Prodigy P3 on boost level 1 worked great for me and I never felt like I had anything behind me when braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for information and sage wisdom. We went and looked at the Lance 1475 & 1575 and the quality of the build is awesome. Now I am spoiled and will have to save up if that is our choice. Maybe a well maintained used one. I also like the 1685 but I think it is beyond the Pilot's capacity. Still have a lot of time before I make the jump for make and model.

I have been looking at all aspects of trailers including the WDH, I like the Anderson because of the lighter weight and most peoples experience is good.

I installed the Honda harness and Hitch with no problems. I ordered the Tekonsha P3 ((90150) but have not installed it yet. I actually thinking of mounting it with Velcro rather than the provided mounts. Less knee banging when it is not connected.

Also looking to reduce the tongue weight with getting LiFePO4 batteries and longer boon-docking.

I am curious if people use the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) when towing. The reason I ask, is the braking seems a little aggressive and not sure how a trailer would react.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for information and sage wisdom. We went and looked at the Lance 1475 & 1575 and the quality of the build is awesome. Now I am spoiled and will have to save up if that is our choice. Maybe a well maintained used one. I also like the 1685 but I think it is beyond the Pilot's capacity. Still have a lot of time before I make the jump for make and model.

I have been looking at all aspects of trailers including the WDH, I like the Anderson because of the lighter weight and most peoples experience is good.

I installed the Honda harness and Hitch with no problems. I ordered the Tekonsha P3 ((90150) but have not installed it yet. I actually thinking of mounting it with Velcro rather than the provided mounts. Less knee banging when it is not connected.

Also looking to reduce the tongue weight with getting LiFePO4 batteries and longer boon-docking.

I am curious if people use the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) when towing. The reason I ask, is the braking seems a little aggressive and not sure how a trailer would react.
I don't have the sensing package, but I've used ACC quite a bit with a loaner 2019. I think it would work ok as long as you have a good profile dialed in on the P3. I have the best luck on the highway with it set to 8.0 and boost level 1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"I also like the 1685 but I think it is beyond the Pilot's capacity. " -- TekNoZar

Yes, I agree -- wouldn't want to tow that on a regular basis with MY Pilot! Moving a loaded 1685 around a parking lot is all I'd want to do. ;-)

Lance 1685 Weight Specs (from the Lance website):

Gross Dry Weight 3980 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 425 Lbs.
Axle Weight 3555 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1520 Lbs.
GVWR 5500 Lbs.

However, if I end up getting a mid-size truck (like the new Ford Ranger mentioned earlier, with its 7500lbs towing capacity), the Lance 1685 WOULD be on any Short List. And as also mentioned, towing any of the other smaller/lighter travel-trailers would be even easier (stress-wise on engine/transmission, etc.) on the truck. Might not hurt my MPG too much, either.

-- BR

·
Registered
1 Posts
We too have recently purchased a 2019 EX-L AWD and were dead set on the GeoPro 19FD until we really started looking at the weight. We have know turned our interest to the Sonic SN190VRB. It is lighter with a max GVWR of 4500, Hitch weight of 330lbs, and UVW of 3570lbs. With options the dry weight has been around 3700 to 3800lbs. What we like best about this trailer is it is a tandem.

Has anyone had any experience with a Sonic?

Also I don't think Honda recommends a weight distribution hitch since the 2019 is a unibody construction. What I have read is that it will void the warranty - but only second info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts