Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first longer trip with my new car. Twice I experienced something odd that I can't explain. Both times I was running the Honda Nav system (Not Android Auto) and had XM Radio on. I made a phone call using the bluetooth speaker. When I hung up the phone, the XM Radio did not come back on. I changed stations, no joy. Turned it off and on and still nothing. I changed it to FM radio and got sound. A few minutes later out of curiosity I went back to XM and that worked as expected.

A little while later, the same scenario was repeated. Except this time, the FM radio didn't come on either and switching back and forth between the two didn't fix the issue. I left it alone for the rest of the trip. When I got back in the car a little later, everything worked as expected.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today was my first longer trip with my new car. Twice I experienced something odd that I can't explain. Both times I was running the Honda Nav system (Not Android Auto) and had XM Radio on. I made a phone call using the bluetooth speaker. When I hung up the phone, the XM Radio did not come back on. I changed stations, no joy. Turned it off and on and still nothing. I changed it to FM radio and got sound. A few minutes later out of curiosity I went back to XM and that worked as expected.

A little while later, the same scenario was repeated. Except this time, the FM radio didn't come on either and switching back and forth between the two didn't fix the issue. I left it alone for the rest of the trip. When I got back in the car a little later, everything worked as expected.

Has anyone else seen this?
Finally, someone else has seen it before. We have it happen 3-7 times a month. We have to pull the car over and turn it off, open the door (to reset the radio) and then it is normally fine for awhile. It has happened on a couple of long road trips which makes it all the more annoying. I have a video of it happening and plan to show it to the dealer next time I am there. There is a SW update for my 2019, but my unit keeps saying it is up to date. Going to have to be firm with Honda to get it applied somehow hoping it stabilizes it. I have had it happen utilizing android auto/pandora and when using bluetooth speaker phone.

My wife and I call this the 'have to reboot the car' routine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad someone else has seen this. I'm printing this off and taking it in to the dealership tomorrow. I've got an appointment to have some extras installed and I guess they can address this also. Having someone else say its happened to them helps avoid the "we've never heard of that and can't duplicate it" scenario.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My husband had a similar thing happen with his 2016 Chevy Silverado. An incoming phone call would knock the whole system down. A software update fixed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad someone else has seen this. I'm printing this off and taking it in to the dealership tomorrow. I've got an appointment to have some extras installed and I guess they can address this also. Having someone else say its happened to them helps avoid the "we've never heard of that and can't duplicate it" scenario.
No worries, glad it wasnt just me as well. Below is the link to the video.

Feel free to share it with your dealer. Context is I was streaming pandora thru andriod auto, wife switched to XM pandora radio stuck. In the past when I have disconnected my phone, XM stayed silent.

Also when rebooting my car you see the other error message we have been getting as well. Annoying...

Please reply to this thread if your dealer is able to figure it out. Infotainment needs an update...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I took all of this to the dealership today. Ultimately they told me my carrier was not yet supported by the Handsfree Link. They started a support ticket to have a software update created so that my phone would work correctly with the system. I have Google FI service which runs on a combination of US Cellular T Mobile and Sprint. My phone, incidentally, is a listed phone model under Verizon and only some of the functionality is reported as working correctly on that network.

If you go to https://handsfreelink.com/ you can check and see if your phone is compatible. They said they usually do updates monthly. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I took all of this to the dealership today. Ultimately they told me my carrier was not yet supported by the Handsfree Link. They started a support ticket to have a software update created so that my phone would work correctly with the system. I have Google FI service which runs on a combination of US Cellular T Mobile and Sprint. My phone, incidentally, is a listed phone model under Verizon and only some of the functionality is reported as working correctly on that network.

If you go to https://handsfreelink.com/ you can check and see if your phone is compatible. They said they usually do updates monthly. I hope this helps.
Note a fan of that answer. Confused to how the monthly updates get applied to our cars... Since I have been unable to get it to do any update so far.

Currently my phone (note 9) is listed has almost fully compatible but we still have consistent issues.

There is SW issues related to the audio hand off (from Bluetooth of Android Auto). If it was only the phone, then the car should start playing audio once again after I disconnect the phone.

Should be at my dealer in the 2 months or so and I will post anything I get from them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note a fan of that answer. Confused to how the monthly updates get applied to our cars... Since I have been unable to get it to do any update so far.

Currently my phone (note 9) is listed has almost fully compatible but we still have consistent issues.

There is SW issues related to the audio hand off (from Bluetooth of Android Auto). If it was only the phone, then the car should start playing audio once again after I disconnect the phone.

Should be at my dealer in the 2 months or so and I will post anything I get from them.

I tend to agree with you, it is a software issue on their end. They told me to check the website once a month and when I saw my phone and phone service listed, I should take the car in for a software upgrade. This implies that it has to be done on site.

Android is Android, and Bluetooth is Bluetooth. If they are having to write patches to map to each phone companies build for each phone model, they will be forever working to catch up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Were folks able to get this resolved at the dealer? My 2019 touring is doing same thing intermittently. 25% of the time after a call the XM shows on the screen but no sound. I can change the stations and see the song info, but no sound. I can switch to FM and get sound from FM stations. I can switch back to XM and see XM song info on the main screen (even change XM stations), but sound is from FM station. When I check for updates my system says it is up to date.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
In addition to the speaker crackling/popping noise and screen blanking issues going on with my '19 Elite, I've also experienced this issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were folks able to get this resolved at the dealer? My 2019 touring is doing same thing intermittently. 25% of the time after a call the XM shows on the screen but no sound. I can change the stations and see the song info, but no sound. I can switch to FM and get sound from FM stations. I can switch back to XM and see XM song info on the main screen (even change XM stations), but sound is from FM station. When I check for updates my system says it is up to date.
I have not gotten it resolved.It is surely an annoying feature of a $50k+ vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My system will beep, crash and be non-responsive twice a month. I get a spinning loading message. The unit will remain on until it eventually resets. Longest is 3 days. Backup camera and safety sensors do not work. Opening doors and the hood have no effect. The dealer has seen it in this state three times. First time they pulled out the carpeting and panels, tested and replaced all of the connectors. Honda advised not to use Apple CarPlay as the workaround. Most recently (January) they promised a software update in two weeks that will correct the problem. I’ve been told this before. Still no update, but responding to a follow up customer survey has Honda America calling me and an assigned case number. The dealer had five other vehicles in with the same problem. They say it is a known issue, but in the year and a half that I have owned the car, it has not been fixed. They will not even discuss replacing the unit. This is a 2019 Pilot Elite purchased new. My 2019 GMC Denali and 2001 Silverado with aftermarket Pioneer Radio work flawlessly. Honda has learned from Apple. “You are holding it wrong” explanation doesn’t fly. I waited to buy this model year for the improved infotainment system and safety sensors. I have not gotten what was promised and fear there will be no usable fix before my warranty runs out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My system will beep, crash and be non-responsive twice a month. I get a spinning loading message. The unit will remain on until it eventually resets. Longest is 3 days. Backup camera and safety sensors do not work. Opening doors and the hood have no effect.
This sounds like a more significant problem than what I'm experiencing. Mine is just annoying. Yours is turning off safety features. Have you gone over the dealership's head to corporate?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts