Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Every time when I open rear gate after rain I get water leaking on the left side on my 2019 Pilot Elite.
Behind the plastic molding is a blue drain tube. There really is no easy way to access it, but to remove part of the plastic molding panel. The blue tube might be clogged. Also, might want to look directly under the left bumper, see if you can find this drain tube exit....some compressed air up in could help dislodge a blockage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the seams redone on my 2017 Elite under warranty. I drove for about six hours in pouring rain and when the tailgate was opened water would pour down and even made itself into rear cabin through some of the wiring holes. No issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Behind the plastic molding is a blue drain tube. There really is no easy way to access it, but to remove part of the plastic molding panel. The blue tube might be clogged. Also, might want to look directly under the left bumper, see if you can find this drain tube exit....some compressed air up in could help dislodge a blockage.
[/Q
Thanks, my video show more. The leak is only on the left rear gate side only.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Do you know please how to get to the drains?
Two options would be 1) look for the end / exit of the drain underneath the rear of the car...in side the edges of the inner bumper area and blast compressed air up the tube to try to clear it or 2) remove the left inner rear plastic molding in the cargo area, then you will be able to see the drain tube (bright blue in color and snout 1/2” in diameter.

Here is the pic of the part (diagram) but sadly doesn’t show exact location.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Good luck on that. I only not bumped into it when I had released part of the panel to put in the wire harness for the trailer hitch. I’d say if you can find when it drains out, maybe easier to have the dealer check it out than going through the hassle of the panel removal. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I will stop at the dealer to fix this problem. I did't have any problem from beginning of the purchase Pilot ,only this one. Thank you again for your help!!

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Ok, I will stop at the dealer to fix this problem. I did't have any problem from beginning of the purchase Pilot ,only this one. Thank you again for your help!!
No worries, yea wonder if it was some random dirt or dust that just happened to wash off into it. Let us know what they find out. Definitely will be good to keep an eye out on ours .

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
3rd Generation lift gates have no drain or drain hose. If water is dripping on you from around the outside edge, that's normal. If water is actually in the lift gate, that's a problem. The cause of this is the wiper fluid tube is to long and it is breaching the seal between the gate and the jam. So after a rain, water makes its way into the door. The fix is to simply clip the hose an make it short enough that it does not loop down into the rubber seal.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
For the Elite and Black Ed. (Maybe touring), there are, and they run in these rear columns. I believe the “front” Sunroof drains are routed forward, and the rear sunroof drain are routed back in the “columns” along the tailgate.
Yea definitely agree if the leak is coming from other areas, it’s clearly a seal or some other source.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
3rd Generation lift gates have no drain or drain hose. If water is dripping on you from around the outside edge, that's normal. If water is actually in the lift gate, that's a problem. The cause of this is the wiper fluid tube is to long and it is breaching the seal between the gate and the jam. So after a rain, water makes its way into the door. The fix is to simply clip the hose an make it short enough that it does not loop down into the rubber seal.
You know, the more I think about it, your right in that if it would be drains etc, wouldn’t be comming from the liftgate. Definitely curious to see what the dealer comes back with. I do notice some water trickles out after a car wash when I open my liftgate to dry it off.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
You know, the more I think about it, your right in that if it would be drains etc, wouldn’t be comming from the liftgate. Definitely curious to see what the dealer comes back with. I do notice some water trickles out after a car wash when I open my liftgate to dry it off.
Yes, if you have taken it to them, it will be interesting to see what they say.
For those who may have this problem and want to avoid the dealership.....,
With the lift gate open, simply turn around and look up at the top of the gate. Does the rubber seal have an indention and stain where the washer fluid tube may be laying? You can DIY fix this with a pair of sharp scissors. Simply pull the hose off the hose barb. Clip a small piece off the end (judgment call), reattatch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts