Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sharing in case it helps anyone. Bought a 2019 Pilot Elite Demo with just under 5k miles last July. Like it but was bothered by the transmission especially in economy mode. At certain times the up and down shifts were rough especially from 24-30mph. Finally took it in to see if everything was ok. Tech said nothing showed abnormal and it seemed fine to him when he was test driving it. But he said he updated the TCM software and told me to give it about 500 miles to adapt to driving. Well it is has been great ever since. Smooth and gear changes are barely noticeable if at all. Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but really enjoy driving it much more now.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Just sharing in case it helps anyone. Bought a 2019 Pilot Elite Demo with just under 5k miles last July. Like it but was bothered by the transmission especially in economy mode. At certain times the up and down shifts were rough especially from 24-30mph. Finally took it in to see if everything was ok. Tech said nothing showed abnormal and it seemed fine to him when he was test driving it. But he said he updated the TCM software and told me to give it about 500 miles to adapt to driving. Well it is has been great ever since. Smooth and gear changes are barely noticeable if at all. Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but really enjoy driving it much more now.
The $500+ transmission ATF service bill that will eventually come is probably one of the biggest negatives of the 9 speed. So I've heard.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
The only issue I have experienced with the ZF9 in my 2020 Passport is when I accidentally hit the Eco mode button. It really wasn't so much as a transmission issue as it was an overall vehicle issue. The sluggishness was immediately notable and I got the thing out of eco mode.

The first 300-500 miles I could feel some shifting as it was learning my driving style. Since then It has been smooth as silk. I suspect that the ZF9 in some ways is more suited for a single vehicle driver, which my wife and I both are. I have never driven her Nissan Rogue and she has never driven my Passport.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The only issue I have experienced with the ZF9 in my 2020 Passport is when I accidentally hit the Eco mode button. It really wasn't so much as a transmission issue as it was an overall vehicle issue. The sluggishness was immediately notable and I got the thing out of eco mode.

The first 300-500 miles I could feel some shifting as it was learning my driving style. Since then It has been smooth as silk. I suspect that the ZF9 in some ways is more suited for a single vehicle driver, which my wife and I both are. I have never driven her Nissan Rogue and she has never driven my Passport.
It would be so cool if Honda tuned the transmission and other things based on the memory seats.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
It would be so cool if Honda tuned the transmission and other things based on the memory seats.
Oh that is a scary thought. Nissan put grab bars in my wife Nissan Rogue for a reason and I do use them. The transmission in my Passport would totally be like.....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh that is a scary thought. Nissan put grab bars in my wife Nissan Rogue for a reason and I do use them. The transmission in my Passport would totally be like.....
View attachment 136827
Haha. Wouldn't the passport transmission last longer with load if you put it in sport mode or something? I don't think a CVT would last long with a lot of load. Especially a Nissan.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
There is no Sport mode in the Passport. It has regular operation, snow, sand and mud. People think the paddle shifters are a sport mode, they are not. The paddle shifters are for sequential mode.

She hasn't had any problems with the transmission or anything else with her 2016 Rogue. She loves it, it's just that she drives 10 feet in front of the hood and I can tell you what color the light is three blocks down and closer.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is no Sport mode in the Passport. It has regular operation, snow, sand and mud. People think the paddle shifters are a sport mode, they are not. The paddle shifters are for sequential mode.

She hasn't had any problems with the transmission or anything else with her 2016 Rogue. She loves it, it's just that she drives 10 feet in front of the hood and I can tell you what color the light is three blocks down and closer.
I'm not too sure if you can spec out a Passport without sport mode, but on the Pilot, you just press D twice. The Passport should have it because it's basically the same thing as a Pilot. I've heard real bad things about Nissan CVT's, but it's really nice that her's is still working.:)

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
Sport mode in a Pilot, Passport, Odyssey or Ridgeline would be a joke. You want sport mode, get an M class Mercedes. Now that was sport mode. Push the button you could feel the front end lower, and the suspension tighten. Now that was a sport mode that hugged the road and leaned into the turns extremely well. It actually justified Nail Greases obsession with performance tires.

Of course replacing the fluids for the ride system only cost one of your children. 15 Quarts for the system at $39.00 a quart. That doesn't include the cost of finding and fixing the leak. You never wanted to have a leak in that thing. Oil changes with filter were in the $350 range.

I don't drive an M class Mercedes any more. 😀

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for sharing. Mine has been rough at times. Like kicking rough. I mention it at oil changes and they always say, oh that's normal with the 9spd. Suggested I get the fluid change early. I'll ask next time about the update.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sport mode in a Pilot, Passport, Odyssey or Ridgeline would be a joke. You want sport mode, get an M class Mercedes. Now that was sport mode. Push the button you could feel the front end lower, and the suspension tighten. Now that was a sport mode that hugged the road and leaned into the turns extremely well. It actually justified Nail Greases obsession with performance tires.

Of course replacing the fluids for the ride system only cost one of your children. 15 Quarts for the system at $39.00 a quart. That doesn't include the cost of finding and fixing the leak. You never wanted to have a leak in that thing. Oil changes with filter were in the $350 range.

I don't drive an M class Mercedes any more. 😀
I think sport mode just makes the car rev more and it lets it go into 1st gear. When I drive the car into my garage, I put it in sport mode so it goes up that little bump easily. In normal mode it struggles to get up. I think with a load it'll put less strain on the transmission.

Lol I thought the M class was pretty reliable and easy to maintain, but I guess I just forgot that it was a Benz which makes repairs like 5x more.😭

·
Registered
883 Posts
The $500+ transmission ATF service bill that will eventually come is probably one of the biggest negatives of the 9 speed. So I've heard.
Not sure where you heard $500.00 + but other owners have mentioned they paid between $300.00 and $350.00 Service is also due according to the MM around 60000 miles, not the 30000 miles like on the 6 speed. Of course an owner can change the fluid him/her self and replace the exact amount that came out. Less than $75.00 for the 3.5 or so quarts of 3.1 fluid it will take.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Not sure where you heard $500.00 + but other owners have mentioned they paid between $300.00 and $350.00 Service is also due according to the MM around 60000 miles, not the 30000 miles like on the 6 speed. Of course an owner can change the fluid him/her self and replace the exact amount that came out. Less than $75.00 for the 3.5 or so quarts of 3.1 fluid it will take.
Someone posted that $500 figure on this board not to long ago.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
that post from 2018 also showed over $100.00 just for 3 new drain/fill plugs. Dealers have mentioned it is not needed to replace them each time as even posted in the link above. The 3.1 fluid (or 3.0 as it was also then) has come down a lot in price. You can now get it for under $25.00 a quart. Still an outrageous cost in my opinion for a quart, but much better than $50.00 or more being charged back then. Right there is around $175.00-$200.00 difference. I guess after reading all of the posts back in 2018 even then the cost could be between $300.00 and $500.00!

Copied remarks from the posts linked to by Nail Grease

#9 Aug 30, 2018
Ok, I just confirmed with my service writer, the plugs do NOT need to be changed and wondered himself about $100 for 3 plugs. That said, they charge $400 for transmission service, but it only needs to be done every 60k miles, not 30k like the 6-speed. Even if you are towing, 60k is the service interval.

RBeaubien said:
Ok, I just confirmed with my service writer, the plugs do NOT need to be changed and wondered himself about $100 for 3 plugs. That said, they charge $400 for transmission service, but it only needs to be done every 60k miles, not 30k like the 6-speed. Even if you are towing, 60k is the service interval.
I was just at the dealer for an oil change at 44k miles on my 2016 Pilot and he wanted to do a flush for $95, so I said, sure! went back and saw it was a touring with the ZF9 tranny on it and said, oh, that's due at 60k miles and is $350... so it sounds about right what you were quoted.

Hi Big, I live in Los Angeles and just had my '16 Touring's trans fluid changed at the 30k interval. It was at a Honda dealership in Santa Monica. When I got the quote it was $120. Then when I went to pick it up he said, "we made a mistake and its going to be $300" (or a little more) -I can't quite remember. I basically told them where they could go and they brought it down to what I was quoted at another dealership in Culver City -$179. He said that the fluid itself is $200. I wanted my regular mechanic (whom I trust a lot) to do it and he wouldn't touch it saying that it was too complicated as there were a lot of steps involved and not just draining and replacing the fluid and that the ATF was $40/quart. $500 is insane though! Good Luck.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
that post from 2018 also showed over $100.00 just for 3 new drain/fill plugs. Dealers have mentioned it is not needed to replace them each time as even posted in the link above. The 3.1 fluid (or 3.0 as it was also then) has come down a lot in price. You can now get it for under $25.00 a quart. Still an outrageous cost in my opinion for a quart, but much better than $50.00 or more being charged back then. Right there is around $175.00-$200.00 difference. I guess after reading all of the posts back in 2018 even then the cost could be between $300.00 and $500.00!

Copied remarks from the posts linked to by Nail Grease

#9 Aug 30, 2018

I was just at the dealer for an oil change at 44k miles on my 2016 Pilot and he wanted to do a flush for $95, so I said, sure! went back and saw it was a touring with the ZF9 tranny on it and said, oh, that's due at 60k miles and is $350... so it sounds about right what you were quoted.

Hi Big, I live in Los Angeles and just had my '16 Touring's trans fluid changed at the 30k interval. It was at a Honda dealership in Santa Monica. When I got the quote it was $120. Then when I went to pick it up he said, "we made a mistake and its going to be $300" (or a little more) -I can't quite remember. I basically told them where they could go and they brought it down to what I was quoted at another dealership in Culver City -$179. He said that the fluid itself is $200. I wanted my regular mechanic (whom I trust a lot) to do it and he wouldn't touch it saying that it was too complicated as there were a lot of steps involved and not just draining and replacing the fluid and that the ATF was $40/quart. $500 is insane though! Good Luck.
All I can say is no ATF should cost $50 or even $20 a quart. It's a Honda scam to fleece their customers. Hopefully an aftermarket fluid will be made known to end this money grab.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
All I can say is no ATF should cost $50 or even $20 a quart. It's a Honda scam to fleece their customers. Hopefully an aftermarket fluid will be made known to end this money grab.
You buy a car that cost $40,000+ and the idea of spending $350 every 60,000 miles is painful enough that you think it’s a scam? Maybe I’m a sucker but I’m happy to pay to MAINTAIN my car so that it lasts a long time.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
You buy a car that cost $40,000+ and the idea of spending $350 every 60,000 miles is painful enough that you think it’s a scam? Maybe I’m a sucker but I’m happy to pay to MAINTAIN my car so that it lasts a long time.
In the beginning, they were charging $50 a quart. In my opinion $20 is still a scam. It's not a question of whether you think it's worth it. They got you looped in with no choice. I'd say the majority of 9 speed owners were caught off guard when presented with the outragrous cost of this service.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
In the beginning, they were charging $50 a quart. In my opinion $20 is still a scam. It's not a question of whether you think it's worth it. They got you looped in with no choice. I'd say the majority of 9 speed owners were caught off guard when presented with the outragrous cost of this service.
did they buy the car assuming the cost of a certain maintenance item 60,000 miles after purchasing it would cost $X but then found out it would be more? I think the people on this forum are the minority in being caught off guard or even caring what a service costs.
Would you ever consider that it’s actually worth that much? Maybe Honda isn’t grabbing money or trying to scam people (define scam, because trying to profit isn’t a scam) but is selling the fluid with enough of a mark up where they can make some money. I guess we’ll never know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts