Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure if you are asking "had to be" or "had been"... there is a recall, you can look it up if you were asking "had to be". If you are asking "had been", I guess I am just assuming it was sufficiently fixed by the recall. I'm not a CR-V owner and don't know anyone with a current gen to ask.
'had been' was correct.
The 'fix' was a joke (only not anyone I know of is laughing).
Some vehicles with the problem, it fixed.
Some vehicles without the problem, they now have the problem(s). (required to be installed to 'maintain the warranty')
In NA, they only installed in Canada and Northern US states. It's not just a 'cold weather' problem.
If you want to wade through the consolidated thread on the subject, it was 138 pages long as of yesterday.

I think the Honda engineers have just given up on fixing this and now call it 'normal operation'.
It's baffling to me that they can't get a grasp on this. I worked in the computer industry for 35 yrs and worked on some pretty elusive hardware/software problems, but we always got it resolved.

I thoroughly documented my CR-V of time/temps -CT1, CT2, ambient/distance/speeds/fuel trims - but no one cares. I live in a 'warm' state, so they wouldn't even try the 'fix', even though I would be a good candidate for good feedback.

·
Registered
118 Posts
'had been' was correct.
The 'fix' was a joke (only not anyone I know of is laughing).
Some vehicles with the problem, it fixed.
Some vehicles without the problem, they now have the problem(s). (required to be installed to 'maintain the warranty')
In NA, they only installed in Canada and Northern US states. It's not just a 'cold weather' problem.
If you want to wade through the consolidated thread on the subject, it was 138 pages long as of yesterday.

I think the Honda engineers have just given up on fixing this and now call it 'normal operation'.
It's baffling to me that they can't get a grasp on this. I worked in the computer industry for 35 yrs and worked on some pretty elusive hardware/software problems, but we always got it resolved.

I thoroughly documented my CR-V of time/temps -CT1, CT2, ambient/distance/speeds/fuel trims - but no one cares. I live in a 'warm' state, so they wouldn't even try the 'fix', even though I would be a good candidate for good feedback.
While interesting, maybe take the off-topic CRV discussions to the appropriate forum???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Consumer Reports did a study of gasoline with detergents vs generic gasoline. The detergent gas when used regularly would keep the valves clean and would even clean valves on cars that had buildup.
This is true for port-injected engines, but for normal direct-injection engines is irrelevant since none of that Top-Tier detergent fuel (or any other cleaner$ and additive$ you may add to your gas) will ever flow over or otherwise reach the valves.

It is known that Toyota added an injector to the intake on their DI engines, and that some percentage of cycles it shoots some fuel into the intake to help clean the valves, so in their case quality fuels and cleaners actually do the job and help because of the design and the extra injector.

Honda has not disclosed and I have searched and not successfully found any reputable info on how/if Honda has addressed this issue, although I have read in more than one spot that Honda did something, just nobody knows for sure exactly what it is and how well it actually works in the long-term. It is known that there is no extra injector in the intake though on the Honda Earthdreams V6's, so it's not the same fix as Toyota applied for sure.

·
Registered
948 Posts
This is true for port-injected engines, but for normal direct-injection engines is irrelevant since none of that Top-Tier detergent fuel (or any other cleaner$ and additive$ you may add to your gas) will ever flow over or otherwise reach the valves.

It is known that Toyota added an injector to the intake on their DI engines, and that some percentage of cycles it shoots some fuel into the intake to help clean the valves, so in their case quality fuels and cleaners actually do the job and help because of the design and the extra injector.

Honda has not disclosed and I have searched and not successfully found any reputable info on how/if Honda has addressed this issue, although I have read in more than one spot that Honda did something, just nobody knows for sure exactly what it is and how well it actually works in the long-term. It is known that there is no extra injector in the intake though on the Honda Earthdreams V6's, so it's not the same fix as Toyota applied for sure.
It mostly has to do with the PCV system and the amount of oil that has become airborn and enters the engine through the intake. It seems like a lot of early adopters (most Germans, GM 2.5 I4, etc.) had a lot of issues early on. But in my time on many forums with DI engines, it seems like the frequency of vehicles with carbon buildup issues has decreased dramatically. The commonality?

Highly updated PCV systems that do a much better job at not allowing oil to enter through normal operation.

For example, the early 3.6 in the Traverse had some (not nearly as common as the 2.5) issues with carbon buildup. When GM facelifted the Traverse in 2013 they updated the PCV valve with larger openings to slow down the flow, thus letting suspended oil particles settle out and not enter the intake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consumer Reports did a study of gasoline with detergents vs generic gasoline. The detergent gas when used regularly would keep the valves clean and would even clean valves on cars that had buildup.
P daddy, your Consumers Reports is not 100% correct. I've been a mech. for over 50 years. We all fall for wishful thinking when we are not sure about something. The truth is the detergent in the gas does/can help keep injectors clean. BUT on direct injection engines the gasoline does not flow over and down the valves like it used to on port injection engines . You can't compare your older Honda engines with the newer DI engines. It's like comparing apples to oranges on the way they work. The jury is still out on the Earth Dreams engines, only time will tell for sure. I am the owner of a 18 Honda van, I am worried about how long it will run. I am taking some measures to help prevent the carbon build up on the valves just to be proactive. But only time will tell for sure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
P daddy, your Consumers Reports is not 100% correct. I've been a mech. for over 50 years. We all fall for wishful thinking when we are not sure about something. The truth is the detergent in the gas does/can help keep injectors clean. BUT on direct injection engines the gasoline does not flow over and down the valves like it used to on port injection engines . You can't compare your older Honda engines with the newer DI engines. It's like comparing apples to oranges on the way they work. The jury is still out on the Earth Dreams engines, only time will tell for sure. I am the owner of a 18 Honda van, I am worried about how long it will run. I am taking some measures to help prevent the carbon build up on the valves just to be proactive. But only time will tell for sure.
Would you care to share what those measures are that you are taking?

I also have read that the Honda engines have something to help prevent the carbon build up on the back sides of the valves. I also though have never been able to pin point what if in fact it is.

Top tier gasoline is recommended by Honda in the owner's manual, but that would appear to be for keeping the fuel system and injectors clean. I do go out of my way if necessary to fill up with top tier gasoline. Only twice in about 20 fill ups have I used Sams Club fuel which is not top tier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also curious what measures you have taken. Some others have mentioned:

-Oil catch can
-a cleaning spray into the air intake
-periodic manually scraping

21 - 28 of 28 Posts