Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
With all these "improvements", the engine is still equipped with a timing belt!

Agree! Very disappointing.

I was ready to buy a 2019 Pilot NOW if they added the 10-speed and 2.0L Turbo from the Accord.

I will not buy the 9 speed with the current V6.

Looks like I'm headed for a 2018/19 Accord, unless I opt for a truck as a 3rd vehicle vs a replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2019 looks great. I am looking forward to IIHS review of the new LED low beam headlights. I have been shopping for a new SUV in this size range from several manufacturers and will be obtaining a price in July for a Pilot. Typically I have had great luck buying when they change models or even eliminate one. This new update hopefully will work out for me in the price dept as dealers try to get rid of 2018's, before the 2019's arrive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From what others say, wireless CarPlay is up to Apple to configure, not the auto manufacturer.

No so. You can read the developer documents on Apple’s website, and they have a series of video presentations explaining the implementation of different “levels” of CarPlay compatibility. Wireless CarPlay requires more capable and costly hardware in the car. Few auto manufacturers support it now, but the numbers are growing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
Agree! Very disappointing.

I was ready to buy a 2019 Pilot NOW if they added the 10-speed and 2.0L Turbo from the Accord.

I will not buy the 9 speed with the current V6.

Looks like I'm headed for a 2018/19 Accord, unless I opt for a truck as a 3rd vehicle vs a replacement.
The current engine can do 30+ mpg on the highway if you drive normally, what possible reason would you want a 2.0 turbo for? EPA ratings are always different than real world and I know that little turbo will suck down fuel like crazy in a big loaded SUV.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
The current engine can do 30+ mpg on the highway if you drive normally, what possible reason would you want a 2.0 turbo for? EPA ratings are always different than real world and I know that little turbo will suck down fuel like crazy in a big loaded SUV.

30+? Is that FWD or AWD?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have issues with TIMING BELTS not the engine. Good luck with it.
As owners of GM Lambda platform SUVs (Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave and Saturn Outlook) with the 3.6L V6 if they had any timing chain problems.
I'll take my chances with Honda if they equipped thier v6 with a timing chain rather than GM or Ford any day lol. However, I have no problems with my sbc350 or my LS3 chains.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MSRP? Any idea how long before there will be any bargaining or financing deals? I just got a 2018 in May but hubby thinks he needs one now!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

30+mpg? You mean that one day, with a hurricane tailwind, and 50mph top speed...the computer showed that on the screen for a few miles? So it can happen, may be. But don't act like its common.

Big SUV? Turbo sucking gas? The Pilot is mid-sized and turbo charged engines suck gas no different than comparable motors with similar outputs. It's all in the foot.

Turbo is the trend for small and mid-size vehicles...heck even Full Size 1/2 ton trucks have for many years now. The Ecoboost 2.7L and 3.5L in the F-150's have done very well. Both can get highway MPG that near the Pilot which is super impressive given their much higher weight and size. Around town, I see 3.5's getting 18-19mpg, the very same as the Pilot.

Now, on the Honda V6 itself. I personally do not want an maintenance interval to change a timing belt, that's out dated. VCM, I never had an issue with it, but I wont temp fate 3 times over. It's also large heavy motor! And then there's the 9 speed Z trans also used in Chyslers. No thanks. Give me a Honda transmission please.

I predict the Honda V6 has 3-4 years left before they obsolete it, leaving Turbos and Hybrids.

·
Registered
803 Posts
When are these due out?
I believe the link said 7/16/19.

30+mpg? You mean that one day, with a hurricane tailwind, and 50mph top speed...the computer showed that on the screen for a few miles? So it can happen, may be. But don't act like its common.

Big SUV? Turbo sucking gas? The Pilot is mid-sized and turbo charged engines suck gas no different than comparable motors with similar outputs. It's all in the foot.

Turbo is the trend for small and mid-size vehicles...heck even Full Size 1/2 ton trucks have for many years now. The Ecoboost 2.7L and 3.5L in the F-150's have done very well. Both can get highway MPG that near the Pilot which is super impressive given their much higher weight and size. Around town, I see 3.5's getting 18-19mpg, the very same as the Pilot.

Now, on the Honda V6 itself. I personally do not want an maintenance interval to change a timing belt, that's out dated. VCM, I never had an issue with it, but I wont temp fate 3 times over. It's also large heavy motor! And then there's the 9 speed Z trans also used in Chyslers. No thanks. Give me a Honda transmission please.

I predict the Honda V6 has 3-4 years left before they obsolete it, leaving Turbos and Hybrids.
While I agree with your assessment that the V-6 will be leaving Honda's lineup entirely, I have a couple issues:

-The Ecoboost (and almost any other turbo motor) does great in ideal conditions, put them under some load or in the mountains and their mileage has been as bad or worse than larger displacement engines due to richening of the mixture to run cooler. My dad's '15 Silverado regularly gets 23-24 when he drives from MD to FL for work, matching the Ecoboost F150's many of his coworkers opted to get. I think these engines are superior in instrumented testing so their EPA numbers look better but in real life the differences aren't that great.

-OK, I understand not wanting to change a timing belt. But most manufacturers are running some sort of VCM type of system and all of them have had issues, I wouldn't avoid Honda because of problems 10 years ago when the system was new.

-Large and heavy motor? Compared to what? An I-4 with a turbo, potentially iron block and heads, intercooler, plumbing, etc.? It's SOHC so it should be slightly smaller and lighter than it's DOHC V6 competitors, the only other V6 that would be smaller would be a pushrod V6 but I believe the Chevy 4.3 is the last of that breed and it only sees duty in the Silverado/Sierra.

I've driven plenty of turbo 4 and turbo 6 motors. The torque is great but IMO I can't get past the engines sounding like the cheap engines, the V6 will always sound more premium than a 4 cylinder and the V8 will always sound more premium than the 8 cylinder. I know, this is strictly a subjective observation but as an enthusiast it matters to me.

·
Registered
645 Posts

No, it's possible and for more than a few miles. Here's proof.

You can try to call the Pilot mid size but there aren't many vehicles bigger. Regardless of the EPA classification, it seats 8 people and is larger than 95% of anything that's NOT a pickup. That's a big SUV in my book.

Turbos have the great ability of testing well on the EPA tests but they do not return those numbers in the real world. Yeah they make the raw numbers but they work hard doing it. Go look at the Fuelly numbers for an Atlas, the 4 cylinder owners report about the same mileage as the 6 cylinder ones yet EPA should be 4 mpg higher.

21 - 40 of 249 Posts