Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions and recommendations on the first oil change for our 2019 EX-L. I'm not sure if the algorithm on the 2019 Pilot will be the same as our old 2008 CR-V but if it is, the maintenance minder would hit 15% at about 9,800 miles. I don't know if I want to go 10k miles on a DI engine....if in fact the maintenance minder calculations are similar between the two.

What oil change interval is everyone using here? Did you do the first oil change early? My initial thoughts are a reasonably conservative 5k oil change interval, using a name brand synthetic oil from Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil, or Valvoline.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
If you don't want to go the full oil change distance as shown by the maintenance minder, then do an "extra" oil change when the oil life display reaches 50% - but don't reset the maintenance minder.
When the oil life display reaches 5% or less, perform all of the indicated maintenance items - and only then reset the maintenance minder.

You might want to add Quaker State Ultimate Durability to your list of motor oils.
Our Best Full Synthetic Oil | United States
540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made it 6000 miles before I could not take it anymore. Mine is an 18 EX-L. I am just over 10000 miles now and will make it to 12,000 miles before I give in and change the oil and filter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone know what type of 0w20 oil comes from Honda factory? Is it synthetic, blend or regular? I plan to do a first oil change at 3K miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
kslu_wa, I spoke with my Honda service advisor about this very subject last Fri when I had my vehicle in for the recent Timing Belt Recall Inspection and he stated that all 0w20 weighted oils are always full synthetic... with other weights, this is not necessarily the case, but for Pilot owner’s this isn’t a factor.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Here is who supplies the service fill fluids to Honda at least through 2019.

Phillips 66 Lubricants Extends Agreement as Exclusive Lubricants Supplier for American Honda Motor Company Inc. - National Oil & Lube News

kslu_wa, I spoke with my Honda service advisor about this very subject last Fri when I had my vehicle in for the recent Timing Belt Recall Inspection and he stated that all 0w20 weighted oils are always full synthetic... with other weights, this is not necessarily the case, but for Pilot owner’s this isn’t a factor.

That's not true. There is at least one major brand oil that is synthetic blend in 0W20 still being sold. It does have the API Sunburst symbol that Honda requires for use in their engines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Gold-0W-20-Dexos-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-5-qt/150683491

Heck, even Honda at one time had their name on a synthetic blend 0W20 oil and used it in Honda cars. May even be some out there being sold on other venues such as the bay or the river. Found this on the river doing a quick search.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Fluid-08798-9036-Synthetic/dp/B007P5RFRO

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
There is at least one major brand oil that is synthetic blend in 0W20 still being sold. It does have the API Sunburst symbol that Honda requires for use in their engines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Gold-0W-20-Dexos-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-5-qt/150683491
Other 0W-20 synthetic blend suppliers:

Quaker State: Synthetic Blend Motor Oil - Dexos1 Approved | United States

Havoline: Havoline Synthetic Blend Motor Oil | Chevron Lubricants

Kendall: Kendall Motor Oil - Kendall

Motorcraft: SAE 0W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only reason I am asking is because the dealership I nought the car from offers lifetime oil changes. I automatically assumed they do not put synthetic oils for free in all the engines... Even if the oil changes are done when the indicator comes on, which is at least at 7500 miles. I will do my first oil change at 3K with a full synthetic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks ls973800. It's obviously not as straight forward as he made it seem (and I had hoped). One more thing I'll have to pay closer attention to when the time comes to get my oil changed (I've only got 1700+mi thus far).

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Honda dealer here in nj offers me free lifetime oil changes. I’ve asked and they stated they use full synthetic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts