Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2019 maintenance schedule of a pilot

2418 12
I did not change my transmission fluid at the 90,000kms mark. I did not check or remember the recommended marker. My vehicle got overheated so I took it to my personal mechanic ASAP They found a transfer Case seal gone I then contacted my dealer pronto. They couldn’t get me in right away and it ended up that my vehicle broke down to which I had to get it towed in. The dealership found a transmission leak. The outline of repairs on the invoice was vague and did not word any clear repair of the transmission or transfer case The dealer said they “fixed” it under the warranty. 3wks later same issues and warning messages. Now they are telling me it is my fault due to me not changing the transmission fluid. Can the dealership place total blame on me solely for not changing the fluid?? Can I take my vehicle to another mechanic for a 2nd opinion?? What if the seal was the issue and not the fluid???
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they have found a transmission leak and repaired what is needed to be repaired within the transmission....I would assume that they would have replaced the transmission fluid.
Apparently they did not change the transmission fluid. They just topped it up. They had told me a part was coming from across the country It would take 3-4 days. Then lo and behold 2 days later my vehicle was “done” 🧐 I took it home and I am still having the same issues. My AWD warning message is back on and the changing of gears is still pausing, or clunking. I returned back to the dealership to have it looked at again and they suggested it could be the purge line for gas? They said they wanted to change the transmission fluid, & differential fluid. They had it all day and never even changed any fluids. Still no answers. I am wondering if they either do not have a transmission guy that works there, they are stringing me along or they just have no clue what they are doing lol

· Registered
161 Posts
Well, whether or not you replaced the tranny fluid as long as it is under the warranty period, the dealer should fix it under the warranty as long as you didn't do any modifications that would void the warranty which I do not think you did. Your only recourse is maybe try another dealer because this dealer obviously do not want to help but do report them to Honda.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, whether or not you replaced the tranny fluid as long as it is under the warranty period, the dealer should fix it under the warranty as long as you didn't do any modifications that would void the warranty which I do not think you did. Your only recourse is maybe try another dealer because this dealer obviously do not want to help but do report them to Honda.
I have called Honda Canada and clearly reported this all. They were of no help. They did suggest that as well. To go to another dealership. How this particular dealership is trying to take this is by telling me due to the fact I did not change the tranny fluid around 90,000kms that it might not be under warranty. Part of my reason for coming on this site. I was not aware that was a required maintenance schedule for the pilot. My question would be though, is a transfer case seal problem and a tranny leak a result from not changing the fluid?? It’s only 3yrs old my pilot Feeling like I am having to prove what came first the chicken or the egg. 🤨. I appreciate your time in answering me 😊

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,383 Posts
I have to disagree. If proper maintenance is not preformed in a timely manner then yes that could be reason for voiding a warranty if the issue can be shown to be caused by the owners failure to have the proper maintenance done.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to disagree. If proper maintenance is not preformed in a timely manner then yes that could be reason for voiding a warranty if the issue can be shown to be caused by the owners failure to have the proper maintenance done.
So I’ve been reading. I have done regular oil changes but I have not done every suggested or scheduled maintenance.

· Administrator
6,383 Posts
So I’ve been reading. I have done regular oil changes but I have not done every suggested or scheduled maintenance.
That could be a problem then, depending on the situation. Vehicles need all kinds of regular scheduled maintenance, not just oil changes. Fluids of all kind have to be changed as needed, brakes, shock, struts etc. to name a few.

Keep in mind, there is a difference between suggested and Honda recommended maintenance. I use the term Honda recommended instead of Honda requited as no one from Honda is going to come to your house and force you to take your vehicle in for the necessary maintenance. Dealers, mechanics and DIYer's can all suggest maintenance based on their beliefs.

Honda's recommended maintenance however is what Honda is going to look at when you have a warranty issue to see if the maintenance guidelines they developed for their vehicles has been followed. It makes it much harder for a Honda dealer to argue that the warranty doesn't cover it if you have done everything Honda recommends. It also makes it easier for a dealer to get Honda to approve fixing a problem under warranty.

Lots of people don't either like or trust the MM feature. As for me, as long as the vehicle is under warranty I follow the MM service schedule. That way if there is a problem under warranty the question isn't one of maintenance, but what failed, why it failed, and how long will it take you to fix it.

Good luck with your issue.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That could be a problem then, depending on the situation. Vehicles need all kinds of regular scheduled maintenance, not just oil changes. Fluids of all kind have to be changed as needed, brakes, shock, struts etc. to name a few.

Keep in mind, there is a difference between suggested and Honda recommended maintenance. I use the term Honda recommended instead of Honda requited as no one from Honda is going to come to your house and force you to take your vehicle in for the necessary maintenance. Dealers, mechanics and DIYer's can all suggest maintenance based on their beliefs.

Honda's recommended maintenance however is what Honda is going to look at when you have a warranty issue to see if the maintenance guidelines they developed for their vehicles has been followed. It makes it much harder for a Honda dealer to argue that the warranty doesn't cover it if you have done everything Honda recommends. It also makes it easier for a dealer to get Honda to approve fixing a problem under warranty.

Lots of people don't either like or trust the MM feature. As for me, as long as the vehicle is under warranty I follow the MM service schedule. That way if there is a problem under warranty the question isn't one of maintenance, but what failed, why it failed, and how long will it take you to fix it.

Good luck with your issue.
Good points and valid thought process. I have been a Honda customer for over 15yrs. I chose this make for its reputation for motors and longevity. Your points for maintenance make sense when faced with this type of issue I unfortunately was a bit naive I guess until now what the “maintenance schedule” really meant. I am very thankful for this forum to ask questions and hear different experiences. Sometimes I feel being a single mom that I am at times perceived as negligent or unaware. For me not so true. I want to learn and have productive conversations that show I understand or will listen to learn Anyway thanks so much for your input

· Registered
161 Posts
Call me crazy, I did have my oil changes at the dealer but the other recommended maintenance (tranny, diff, and gear oil, etc) all done accordingly but I did myself. Don't ask me why I didn't do the oil changes myself since I did everything else and my answer is I don't know but it was probably because it was done a few times a year compared to the other recommended maintenance which is only done on average once every few years. But it was for my old 2010 and I also didn't have any issue as far as powertrain goes and I'll probably do the same thing with my 2022; however Daltongang do provide a valid point.
OOT: still on the fence with regard to the S VCM only because my brother in law who is a mechanical engineer and his mechanic best friend are skeptical.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call me crazy, I did have my oil changes at the dealer but the other recommended maintenance (tranny, diff, and gear oil, etc) all done accordingly but I did myself. Don't ask me why I didn't do the oil changes myself since I did everything else and my answer is I don't know but it was probably because it was done a few times a year compared to the other recommended maintenance which is only done on average once every few years. But it was for my old 2010 and I also didn't have any issue as far as powertrain goes and I'll probably do the same thing with my 2022; however Daltongang do provide a valid point.
OOT: still on the fence with regard to the S VCM only because my brother in law who is a mechanical engineer and his mechanic best friend are skeptical.
Interesting for sure. Good for you though doing it yourself Hard to know these days if all the suggested upkeeps are up sales or required for any warranty issues. I don’t think in all my years being a Honda customer I have ever had someone tell me straight up to have it all done or it’s not covered if any issue arises

· Administrator
6,383 Posts
Nothing in the Honda Maintenance recommendations say you have to take the vehicle to the dealer. Would Honda and your dealer like you to use them? Yes.

But regular service can be done by the dealer, an independent mechanic, or even a DIYer, BUT the important thing is to have records of what maintenance was done, when and with what parts or fluids. Either by keeping your receipts from where the service was done or keeping record of what service you did yourself along with the receipts for the items, fluids etc. were used on each and every occasion.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing in the Honda Maintenance recommendations say you have to take the vehicle to the dealer. Would Honda and your dealer like you to use them? Yes.

But regular service can be done by the dealer, an independent mechanic, or even a DIYer, BUT the important thing is to have records of what maintenance was done, when and with what parts or fluids. Either by keeping your receipts from where the service was done or keeping record of what service you did yourself along with the receipts for the items, fluids etc. were used on each and every occasion.
Makes sense Good to know. 😁

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.