Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys wanted to get your input on a Pilot issue I'm having. First time Pilot owner. I bought my 2019 Touring FWD with ~7K miles two days. Last night I got the low battery message on the dash after listening to the radio parked for about 30 minutes last night in Accessory Mode. I do this weekly and never had any problems with my previous CRV even past an hour of radio listening. Before this event happened I drove approximately 60 minutes to visit my girlfriend. I drove 60 minutes back home afterwards and put the car on my trickle charger. It was red. This morning its green now. On the Carfax the battery was replaced two months ago (9/8) at the Honda dealer by the previous owner and was immediately traded. The car then sat on the lot roughly since then until I bought the car two days ago.

I am concerned this car has electrical issues. In my experience electrical issues are the worst car problems to have even if you have a warranty. I also noticed most of the electrical items were turned off (all dome lights, etc) which may have been the previous owner trying to diagnose.

Since I only bought the car two days ago I'm considering going back to the dealer and seeing if I could switch for another used 2020 Pilot (EX-L).

1. Do these cars have electrical/battery problems?
  2. Should a Pilot battery be low after 2 months of mostly sitting?
  3. I'm concerned that the hour drive didn't charge the alternator after a 60 min drive.
  4. In my situation would you bail and go to another car immediately?

·
Registered
813 Posts
My Pilot sat on the lot for about a month and when the it was new, I'd occasionally get low battery warnings. Now that I've had it for a couple months, I haven't seen it at all. I think you should just wait a bit longer and see if that issue still comes back.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,848 Posts
Do these cars have electrical/battery problems?
No, you bought a vehicle with a lot of advanced technology. That all takes a lot of juice as well as an AGM battery and a different charging rate.

Should a Pilot battery be low after 2 months of mostly sitting?
Quite probably. Especially if you didn't have a full charge in the battery. Short little trips will not charge the batter up as the charge rate is lower.

I'm concerned that the hour drive didn't charge the alternator after a 60 min drive.
I assume that you mean that the alternator didn't charge the battery. Depends on the drive. 60 minutes at 30-40 mph in town with the AC on, entertainment system going etc may not. 60 minutes at 60-75mph on the highway, no stops is a totally different story.

In my situation would you bail and go to another car immediately?
No, I would get one of these if you are not going to drive the vehicle all the time. Install the cable and plug it in when not driving the vehicle.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
I test drove a car that had sat unsold for over nine months. Throughout the test drive, the car reported that the stop start was inoperative due to low battery. All the car needs I bet is more usage.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I purchased my 2019 Touring, it had sat from the end of August 2018 (build date) to my purchase the end of February 2019. The Start/Stop didn't work so the dealer charged the battery. It was good for about a week, then quit working again. Dealer ended up replacing the battery with another AGM battery (which is what these with Start/Stop require) and the car has been fine since.

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
One problem with AGM's is if the voltage goes to 10v or below it will damage the battery, They can take a charge and seem alright, but being damaged, they will never work the same again. They were not designed to sit and do nothing for long periods of time. I have yet to have an issue, however when I bought he new vehicle I installed the ring end charge cable for my battery tender. If I am ever going to be gone for any period of time I will plug it in and let it go.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Hey guys wanted to get your input on a Pilot issue I'm having. First time Pilot owner. I bought my 2019 Touring FWD with ~7K miles two days. Last night I got the low battery message on the dash after listening to the radio parked for about 30 minutes last night in Accessory Mode. I do this weekly and never had any problems with my previous CRV even past an hour of radio listening.
Others have reported running down the battery by having the radio on for an extended period with the engine off, so it doesn't seem as though your particular Pilot is having a problem.
If that's going to be part of your typical usage pattern, then plan on hooking up the trickle charger on a regular basis.

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
AGM's apparently work more like a lithium battery in that it pretty much puts out full power until it can no longer put out full power, then it just stops until it is charged. From what I had read and have been told, the stop voltage is not much above the 10 volt damage the battery level. I can't say from experience, as I have never had any issues and have never tried to see what it takes to run the battery down.

Besides at my age, the wife and I are too old to be necking in the car on lovers lane. With no kids at home anymore we can do what we want, when we want, where we want. 😉

FYI I'm 66 years old and the wife is 61. Have a good time trying to sleep tonight with that picture running through you brain. 😁😆😅😂🤣

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I do feel better after reading all your responses. I will monitor and report back with any problems. I work from home now so I really don't go out much anymore except to dinner or something most days. Car may not be driven for days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, you bought a vehicle with a lot of advanced technology. That all takes a lot of juice as well as an AGM battery and a different charging rate.

Quite probably. Especially if you didn't have a full charge in the battery. Short little trips will not charge the batter up as the charge rate is lower.

I assume that you mean that the alternator didn't charge the battery. Depends on the drive. 60 minutes at 30-40 mph in town with the AC on, entertainment system going etc may not. 60 minutes at 60-75mph on the highway, no stops is a totally different story.

No, I would get one of these if you are not going to drive the vehicle all the time. Install the cable and plug it in when not driving the vehicle.

It was on a 4 lane highway - 55mph - 65mph for around 1 hour. Only a few stoplights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don’t sweat it... I think Honda Batteries are made by Johnson Control. Not the best Battery in the market. A) get a new replacemnt from the dealer and deal with the issue again, or buy your self a battery that’s manufacture un the USA and see how it goes from there.
Dealer replaced my Battery at 15k miles 2018 EXL

·
Registered
813 Posts
Don’t sweat it... I think Honda Batteries are made by Johnson Control. Not the best Battery in the market. A) get a new replacemnt from the dealer and deal with the issue again, or buy your self a battery that’s manufacture un the USA and see how it goes from there.
Dealer replaced my Battery at 15k miles 2018 EXL
The OP said the battery was just replaced 2 months ago. I think it's better to wait a bit longer to see if the battery warning goes away. Maybe next time when you replace the battery you can get one that's made in USA.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The OP said the battery was just replaced 2 months ago. I think it's better to wait a bit longer to see if the battery warning goes away. Maybe next time when you replace the battery you can get one that's made in USA.
You are correct 100% correct. I jump on replying with out reading the complete issue. I work for a Battery Manufacture and always use our products. But I do notice that OE Batteries are under spec or just enough for the warranty cycle of the vehicle.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
I work for a Battery Manufacture and always use our products. But I do notice that OE Batteries are under spec or just enough for the warranty cycle of the vehicle.
When the Pilots were equipped with a flooded lead-acid type battery, the CCA rating of the OE battery was in the range of 550-600 - comparable to the "silver" grade of aftermarket parts store batteries. The "gold" grade battery would have a CCA rating of about 700-750.

The OP's Pilot is equipped with an OE AGM type battery.
Aftermarket AGM batteries only seem to come in one grade, with similar CCA ratings.
Are you suggesting that the rating of the OE AGM battery is not as high as that of the aftermarket AGM batteries?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone. Now that it has been almost 2 weeks I can report no issues so far. I've driven about 300 miles including short trips and one short out of town trip with no issues. I disable Auto Start/Stop each time I get in the car. Battery seems fine so far. Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Battery life is certainly one of the weak point on the 3rd gen Pilots. I think the alternator is under dimensioned for the job, especially during winter, when heated seats, high fans speeds and heated windows/mirrors/steering wheel is used.
I bought a new battery last summer and it seems it's never really gets fully charged by just driving the 20 minutes to work and back every day. This has never been an issue with any of my previous cars.
So one of my improvements will likely be to upgrade the alternator to one that delivers more "juice". Has anyone done this, and what kind of alternator do you recommend in that case?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts