Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2019 Pilot (had a 2009 Pilot for 10 years). My new Pilot is only a few weeks old and already the rear bumper has lots of chips in it. My old Pilot never had this issue. The new Pilot's bumper is a different design - it has a very sharp edge to it that is obviously susceptible to items being loaded and unloaded. It's a bad design. We load and unload golf bags a lot, so I'm sure that this is the culprit. However, the design and paint are obviously bad - the old Pilot never had this problem. I called Honda and they said they don't have an issue with this. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who have this issue! The Honda Rear Bumper Applique that they sell does not cover this sharp area, so that is useless. I guess I'm going to have to get the bumper repainted and place a protective laminated film over it. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Honda should acknowledge that this is a problem. This is a brand new vehicle!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just bought a new 2019 Pilot (had a 2009 Pilot for 10 years). My new Pilot is only a few weeks old and already the rear bumper has lots of chips in it. My old Pilot never had this issue. The new Pilot's bumper is a different design - it has a very sharp edge to it that is obviously susceptible to items being loaded and unloaded. It's a bad design. We load and unload golf bags a lot, so I'm sure that this is the culprit. However, the design and paint are obviously bad - the old Pilot never had this problem. I called Honda and they said they don't have an issue with this. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who have this issue! The Honda Rear Bumper Applique that they sell does not cover this sharp area, so that is useless. I guess I'm going to have to get the bumper repainted and place a protective laminated film over it. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Honda should acknowledge that this is a problem. This is a brand new vehicle!

View attachment 132362
Just get the rear bumper applique like the one Bigfrank got. I was told to purchase this when I got mine but I thought it was the dealership upselling me. That rear edge chipping off is not unique to the Pilot. The rear bumper applique does cover the edge. Just make sure you apply it over the edge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just get the rear bumper applique like the one Bigfrank got. I was told to purchase this when I got mine but I thought it was the dealership upselling me. That rear edge chipping off is not unique to the Pilot. The rear bumper applique does cover the edge. Just make sure you apply it over the edge.
Thank you so much - I had looked at that item before and didn't think it covered the correct edge. I see it does. just ordered one! THANKS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I saw that as an immediate issue and bought a precut piece of paint film to cover it. Took 10 minutes to install and matched perfectly since it's clear. Never looked back....

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Literally just got mine done. What struck me the most is the fact the black strip is so thin, I still can’t believe Honda Dealers mark it for $70! Got mine for $53 including shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I tried capturing am image of the paint film and you can sort of see the outlines to get the idea. I try to be careful not to damage it anyway but it's well protected for scratches now. It covers way more area than the OEM one for sure. Please excuse the wax, when it's clean it's nearly invisible.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Literally just got mine done. What struck me the most is the fact the black strip is so thin, I still can’t believe Honda Dealers mark it for $70! Got mine for $53 including shipping.

Can you post where you purchased from please.

Very strange that I saw no picture in your original post, but when I hit the "REPLY" button to ask my question, it quoted you and showed a picture of your install!

I like the Honda one because it is black. My white Pilot has a scratch which shows black under the white paint and the Honda one will cover it up. No touch up or repainting the rear bumper needed!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can you post where you purchased from please.

Very strange that I saw no picture in your original post, but when I hit the "REPLY" button to ask my question, it quoted you and showed a picture of your install!

I like the Honda one because it is black. My white Pilot has a scratch which shows black under the white paint and the Honda one will cover it up. No touch up or repainting the rear bumper needed!!!
I agree it’s better to go with the Honda OEM if the edges have already started chipping. Ideally, it’s best to get a transparent film at the time of purchase. I got this one from Amazon and was able to avoid shipping fees using Prime. That thin black strip shouldn’t be more than $12 in my opinion so it bothered me most dealers were asking me to pay no less than $12 to ship an already overmarked item. I still don’t know why it’s that expensive. Buying other non OEM rear bumper appliqué comes with its risk especially with thickness. Here’s the link:

Honda 08P48-TG7-100 1 Pack Bumper... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0125OV660?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well, it's up to $60.04 now following that link. I know they also changed the part number for the 2019 model to 08P48-TG7-101 but believe they are all interchangeable. Not sure what if any difference there is

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought mine on eBay from a Honda dealer, in my opinion it looks good. Easy installation. See Pics.

Before installing yours, you may need to fill those chips with some touch up paint and try to make them even.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, it's up to $60.04 now following that link. I know they also changed the part number for the 2019 model to 08P48-TG7-101 but believe they are all interchangeable. Not sure what if any difference there is
101 reflects the latest. For a long time, it was displaying 100 even though 101 is what was being shipped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts