Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I requested a Lemon Law buy-back from Honda Corporate. My issues have been awful and the more they try to fix the issues, the worse they get. The crackles and pops happen every day. Audio cuts out 4 or 5 times a week and won't come back until I shut of the vehicle and let it sit for a few hours. Speedometer has shut off mid-drive many times and will get into a rebooting loop sometimes. And I've had the backup camera stay on while I am driving forward. It's just awful.
Honda denied my request for Lemon Law buy-back with no explanation. This seems inexplicable. They sold me a defective car that they can't fix and I'm stuck paying for it.

I'm to a point where I'm ready to simply file a lawsuit and take them to court. It's unsafe and unfair.

I've reported the dealership to BBB, Attny General in my state and I took the vehicle back to dealership to fix it. They quickly examined it and said "we couldn't find anything wrong". Honda is terrible.
File a lemon law suit and wait it out, it takes forever but it does work, keep records of all the days you are without the car, ie let the dealer keep it as much as possible. If they try unsuccessfully to fix the car 3X for the same thing you can file. If they accept your case you will likely win.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
File a lemon law suit and wait it out, it takes forever but it does work, keep records of all the days you are without the car, ie let the dealer keep it as much as possible. If they try unsuccessfully to fix the car 3X for the same thing you can file. If they accept your case you will likely win.
I did hire an attny...
Honda doesn't even have a fix for this issue. They keep trying stuff, but everything they have tried makes the issue worse. I am so done with this vehicle and so done with Honda forever.
My cousin had an issue with his Volvo and they agreed right away to buy it back. My Honda has been 45 days in the shop and 5 repair attempts...
First contact attempt they rejected any recourse or help at all. Leaving me no choice but to file suit...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been following this issue for some time. I also have a 2019 pilot with all these same issues. Had a couple parts replaced, which seem to have helped the screen black outs, but I still have crackling, especially when driving on bumpy roads. Of those of you familiar with this situation, have you heard of ANY vehicle being successfully repaired once this specific problem starts? This was my first new car ever. And first Honda. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
In addition to the audio pops and crackles continuing, the dash console now flickers...
Also, now the back driver's side window will no longer roll down or up.
And, last week, while my wife was driving, it downshifted into 4th gear as if she had pulled the paddle shifter, but she did not touch it. This was scary and another example of how this vehicle is unsafe and defective.
Meanwhile Honda Legal Dept keeps ignoring letters and refuses to acknowledge or offer any resolution in any way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Kane. My situation is the exact same. My 19 touring has been hondas R and D test rig since last year. Gutted car ALL components replaced, still not fixed. Wife driving my 2 year old around with 20k miles on car. Will the complete dashboard shut off today? Probably! We take my F150 on trips now. Leave the pos pilot in the driveway. Sad we get pushed around by big corporations. Honda also declined buyback! Working with lemon law now. What BS! I want to leave this POS in a Honda corporate driveway and see if they want to take their loved ones on the road every day like we have to. 2020 Highlander is out in December. Cant come fast enough.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hi Kane. My situation is the exact same. My 19 touring has been hondas R and D test rig since last year. Gutted car ALL components replaced, still not fixed. Wife driving my 2 year old around with 20k miles on car. Will the complete dashboard shut off today? Probably! We take my F150 on trips now. Leave the pos pilot in the driveway. Sad we get pushed around by big corporations. Honda also declined buyback! Working with lemon law now. What BS! I want to leave this POS in a Honda corporate driveway and see if they want to take their loved ones on the road every day like we have to. 2020 Highlander is out in December. Cant come fast enough.
The mechanic at my local Honda told me that the Touring and Elite models use a different motherboard for all of the dash and infotanment. He said that he has only seen this issue on Elites and Tourings and is confident that is the issue but Honda doesn't have a replacement or ability to fix it.

If anyone stumbled onto this thread I encourage you to avoid Honda vehicles like the plague. Yes, all manufacturers of cars have some issues, but Honda does not try to take care of the customer and does not care about the safety of people with this issue.
We cant take this vehicle on trips at all and I hate driving it now because something seems to break every few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 19 Elite is stable since June. I had 17 Elite and now i changed to 19 Elite due the transmission issues. The dashboard failed three times. I used an usb keyboard to reset the Windows OS and on the last time i removed the fuse to shut it down. Since June i didn’t have any issue. There were some automatic software upgrades when the car was parked at my garage with Wifi enabled. That might fixed my entertainment system.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
So far, I've only got the popping noise. It's been to the dealer once. I am not taking it back until I have documented many instances of the problem (using my dashcam). Then I am going to make them keep the car until it's fixed. Give me a loaner or whatever it takes. If they can't/won't fix it, I'll go the lemon law route and we'll end up with a Highlander or a Palisade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So far, I've only got the popping noise. It's been to the dealer once. I am not taking it back until I have documented many instances of the problem (using my dashcam). Then I am going to make them keep the car until it's fixed. Give me a loaner or whatever it takes. If they can't/won't fix it, I'll go the lemon law route and we'll end up with a Highlander or a Palisade.
I had this problem with a 2019 EX-L and after being at the shop 3 times, they fixed it by replacing the entire radio system (head unit, and tuner) now I just get a random "tuner not availible" error but this has been very rare and not too annoying..

As far as lemon law, an attorney I talked to about this said a radio is not a "serious defect" he said it has to be something that makes the car unsafe. maybe he just though it was not worth the fight... not sure.

good luck with your radio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The mechanic at my local Honda told me that the Touring and Elite models use a different motherboard for all of the dash and infotanment. He said that he has only seen this issue on Elites and Tourings and is confident that is the issue but Honda doesn't have a replacement or ability to fix it.

If anyone stumbled onto this thread I encourage you to avoid Honda vehicles like the plague. Yes, all manufacturers of cars have some issues, but Honda does not try to take care of the customer and does not care about the safety of people with this issue.
We cant take this vehicle on trips at all and I hate driving it now because something seems to break every few days.
HondaKane,
I do not see how they will decline a buy back on a car that is loosing its speedometer.. That sounds like a safety issue to me. (mine is only the radio and not safety related per the attorney I contacted in WI)

I wish you the best.. 30 days in the shop is a bunch of BS. hopefully you got a decent loaner (I had a new CRV for the 8 days they had mine.. its audio system is WAY BETTER!!!!)

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I had this problem with a 2019 EX-L and after being at the shop 3 times, they fixed it by replacing the entire radio system (head unit, and tuner) now I just get a random "tuner not availible" error but this has been very rare and not too annoying..

As far as lemon law, an attorney I talked to about this said a radio is not a "serious defect" he said it has to be something that makes the car unsafe. maybe he just though it was not worth the fight... not sure.

good luck with your radio.
There's more to it than the radio. Look into the various threads in this forum about the problems Touring/Elite owners are having - serious issues such as the entire instrument panel going completely dark. Apparently, it starts out with the popping, but often morphs into these more serious issues. Some folks have had the entire dash wiring harness replaced, after multiple service visits, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tourist, I understand.
My issue was never the dash info cluster. I never lost any functionality of "serious" systems.

Anyone who looses a speedometer has an entirely different case than I have.

Not to make light.. This is a bunch of crap to have to deal with this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Tourist, I understand.
My issue was never the dash info cluster. I never lost any functionality of "serious" systems.

Anyone who looses a speedometer has an entirely different case than I have.

Not to make light.. This is a bunch of crap to have to deal with this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Correct. Since you have an EX-L, so your issue is entirely different. I am hoping to head things off before I end up with a blank instrument panel while my wife is driving to work. I don't want to end up beyond a point of no return with this thing. When I took it in, dealer claimed they couldn't replicate the problem. They factory-reset the head unit. All that did was force me to re-pair our phones and then reset my presets/preferences. I installed a dashcam in the car and am documenting everything. That way, they can't deny it is happening. I'll give them a CD or thumb drive with all the pertinent video evidence.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts