Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
All.....just started shopping for a 2019....should this issue alone be enough to purchase something else?
I did a ton of research before we purchased. The problem is not widespread. So it could be a legitimate hardware problem that affected only a subset of vehicles. Or software problem when interfacing with other systems. Or combination.

I noticed more complaints from owners with the entertainment systems than those without.

The class action lawsuits states hundreds of thousands of the faulty infotainment units were installed. There are not hundreds of thousands of owners complaining.

we know people with the pilot and The Odyssey. They're very popular vehicles. And now that we have a pilot also, 2019 EXL, none of us are having the problem and none of us know anyone that is having the problem.

People are having the problem though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did a ton of research before we purchased. The problem is not widespread. So it could be a legitimate hardware problem that affected only a subset of vehicles. Or software problem when interfacing with other systems. Or combination.

I noticed more complaints from owners with the entertainment systems than those without.

The class action lawsuits states hundreds of thousands of the faulty infotainment units were installed. There are not hundreds of thousands of owners complaining.

we know people with the pilot and The Odyssey. They're very popular vehicles. And now that we have a pilot also, 2019 EXL, none of us are having the problem and none of us know anyone that is having the problem.

People are having the problem though.
Thank you......appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Passport ex-l

Infotainment issue.. seems to be similar to 2019 pilots

No volume am or fm. At times... In
Using Android auto pixel 3a

Apparently the tuner in car made by Panasonic..

Vehicle has been at dealership for 5 days

They now want to replace the tunner.. but it will take five days for new tuner to arrive..

Video of failure provided to dealership

I could find no one at Honda North America to be interested.. dealership is trying to communicate with tech support.

Not sure tuner is same in pilot and passport. Ex-l.. not sure tuner is same in elite. Touring and exl

Although off topic to pilot... May be identical in both models

Ymmv

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought my 2019 Pilot EXL Saturday. Problems started right away. GPS not detected. Now my Sirius and Bluetooth don’t have audio (suddenly, mid-ride). I haven’t tried to start it back up and try again. Dealer says it’s a software issue, patch expected soon. It affects higher model Pilots, Odysseus, Civics. CRV patch already came out???

He says it’s software, probably related to interfacing w Apple play and android ..... I’m worried that I’m going to lose more than the perks or Apple play and a gps. Sick to my stomach over this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought my 2019 Pilot EXL Saturday. Problems started right away. GPS not detected. Now my Sirius and Bluetooth don’t have audio (suddenly, mid-ride). I haven’t tried to start it back up and try again. Dealer says it’s a software issue, patch expected soon. It affects higher model Pilots, Odysseus, Civics. CRV patch already came out???

He says it’s software, probably related to interfacing w Apple play and android ..... I’m worried that I’m going to lose more than the perks or Apple play and a gps. Sick to my stomach over this.
Bummer....taking a serious look at the Kia Sorrento vice the Pilot to purchase. Might be holding on to my 2008 CRV awhile longer. I know the sick to the stomach feeling, recently purchased a new Toyota Tacoma, leaked water, after much hassle Toyota agreed to a buy back.

Sad commentary on so called "quality" brand vehicles. Hopefully, you get it worked out. Not encouraging for us looking to purchase though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bummer....taking a serious look at the Kia Sorrento vice the Pilot to purchase. Might be holding on to my 2008 CRV awhile longer. I know the sick to the stomach feeling, recently purchased a new Toyota Tacoma, leaked water, after much hassle Toyota agreed to a buy back.

Sad commentary on so called "quality" brand vehicles. Hopefully, you get it worked out. Not encouraging for us looking to purchase though.
Sorento 3rd row headroom is around 36 inch or so according to the spec sheet. That is why we never looked at it. We did look at the Kia Telluride though.

As for the Sorrento, the third row is great for kids. You won't fit two adults back there comfortably cuz their heads are going to hit the headliner.

There's a lot of vehicles out there besides the pilot.

The 2019 Ford Explorer has horrible driver-assist technology.

the Kia Telluride is very nice but it's a brand new model so there are no discounts. Maybe fifteen hundred bucks off MSRP at most. but most Kia dealers near me include 1202 $2,000 of deal at add-ons which is old bull crap and they won't retract it.

2020 Explorer is very nice. But they make you spend $6,000 over the base price if you want adaptable cruise control and torque assisted Lane centering.

Toyota Highlander is nice for 2019 but it has a full redesign in 2020. It does not have Android auto. That's bull crap for 2019.

Just a few thoughts based on our experience if you consider things other than the pilot.

If you think the Kia Telluride it's a nice vehicle, check out the forums. If you think the pilot has issues, you ain't seen nothing yet until you saw the issues on the Kia Telluride.

the 2020 Ford Explorer already has a recall. A missing part that will cause the vehicle to move even when it's in park. Good going, Ford.

And the list goes on :) unfortunately

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorento 3rd row headroom is around 36 inch or so according to the spec sheet. That is why we never looked at it. We did look at the Kia Telluride though.

As for the Sorrento, the third row is great for kids. You won't fit two adults back there comfortably cuz their heads are going to hit the headliner.

There's a lot of vehicles out there besides the pilot.

The 2019 Ford Explorer has horrible driver-assist technology.

the Kia Telluride is very nice but it's a brand new model so there are no discounts. Maybe fifteen hundred bucks off MSRP at most. but most Kia dealers near me include 1202 $2,000 of deal at add-ons which is old bull crap and they won't retract it.

2020 Explorer is very nice. But they make you spend $6,000 over the base price if you want adaptable cruise control and torque assisted Lane centering.

Toyota Highlander is nice for 2019 but it has a full redesign in 2020. It does not have Android auto. That's bull crap for 2019.

Just a few thoughts based on our experience if you consider things other than the pilot.

If you think the Kia Telluride it's a nice vehicle, check out the forums. If you think the pilot has issues, you ain't seen nothing yet until you saw the issues on the Kia Telluride.

the 2020 Ford Explorer already has a recall. A missing part that will cause the vehicle to move even when it's in park. Good going, Ford.

And the list goes on :) unfortunately
Yeah....having to settle for the lesser of evils is a damn shame....state of the state I guess.:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally got the vehicle back after 24 days in the shop. It has been behaving fine for the last few days since I got it back. I talked to an attny who think I have a plenty of cause and proof to demand that they purchase the vehicle back.
I'm mulling things over. I don't want to get stuck with this thing if it's going to continue to break. Worried I will get stuck holding the bag after the 1 year mark.
I think the lemon law in NY is them having the car for 30 days of service in a period of time. Sounds like you are pretty close in which case I would move forward to getting out and getting your money back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the lemon law in NY is them having the car for 30 days of service in a period of time. Sounds like you are pretty close in which case I would move forward to getting out and getting your money back.
If NY is like Florida, there will also be a useage charge based on mileage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I continue to have issues with this vehicle. They replaced the floor harness and the amp and did all sorts of other diagonistics and gave me my vehicle back claiming that it was 100% fixed. Two days later the issues returned in full force. It still shuts down at least once a day where I lose audio and get this awful crackling wile driving. I tried contacting Honda about a buy-back under lemon law. The dealership ignored me. Sent me to a 1-800-Number that put me through nonsense. I finally hired an attorney. We sent a letter asking for buy-back 3 weeks ago and Honda hasn't even had the decency to respond or acknowledge.
Also, I downloaded the latest OTA update which was supposed to address many of the Infotainment issues. None of the issues went away. In fact, they seem worse now after the update.
I have driven nothing but Hondas for 12 years. I'm so done with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I updated to the latest version and the issues got worse, not better. It shuts down at least once a day now and the crackling and popping is persistent.
Ugh - what a nightmare! We have a 2019 EX-L and have been having some issues over the past few weeks. Most are minor, we lose audio on the FM radio or CarPlay stops working suddenly. We've not had the dash go completely black, but have lost the touch screen a few times. Also, most recently, the car clock is completely wrong. It was fluctuating around and has settled down to being about an hour behind. The settings reflect auto so I am not sure what is going on. We leased, but I will need to take it in and get it checked out. It's just frustrating because we never had any issues at all with our 2016 CR-V and I really miss it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ugh - what a nightmare! We have a 2019 EX-L and have been having some issues over the past few weeks. Most are minor, we lose audio on the FM radio or CarPlay stops working suddenly. We've not had the dash go completely black, but have lost the touch screen a few times. Also, most recently, the car clock is completely wrong. It was fluctuating around and has settled down to being about an hour behind. The settings reflect auto so I am not sure what is going on. We leased, but I will need to take it in and get it checked out. It's just frustrating because we never had any issues at all with our 2016 CR-V and I really miss it.

Oh, I have had a ton of issues with CarPlay (wife) or Android Auto (me) just completely losing audio or cutting out too. Those are just ancillary though. We know it's not an issue with the phones because they work perfectly fine in our other car. It's like the electrical system is just completely screwed up in this vehicle and any ripple in the current (phone cord moving, locking doors, etc just completely freaks it out).

I purchased the Elite and thought, maybe they would treat me a bit better because I shelled out more for this vehicle. Not the case at all... I can't believe how poorly they've treated me. I should have just gone and purchased a luxury brand... for the price I paid for this, I could have, and I know for a fact that Infinity dealership and lexus dealerships here really do take care of thier customers, especially when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It happened again last night where my speedometer and dash completely cut out and went black while I was driving. I heard pops and crackles, then my rear camera turned on while driving forward, then the entire dash console and infotainment went completely black mid-drive. It was very scary.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I experienced a crackle or two while using the phone today.

Consequently, I found his thread which has me completely horrified.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had an issue with our 2019 Touring that is only 6 months old. We were listening to music through Apple CarPlay when we suddenly heard a small beep and the music stopped. After that fm, am, music through the CarPlay stopped working. But Navigation and the maps through CarPlay still worked. Exited the freeway to try and shut the car down to “reset” the the system. Shut the engine off and opened the door but the system stayed on. Tried this a few times. Fortunately there was a dealership about a block away. Went in and luckily they were able to help us without an appt. They said they would need to disconnect the battery to reset the system. Then a mechanic that was going to reconnect the terminals asked us to wait a little bit so that he could hook the car up to their computer so that it wouldn’t happen again. Waited for about half an hour and we were on our way again. Not sure what they did but hopefully it doesn’t happen again. It was super frustrating but these guys at the dealership really calmed me down by doing their best to be so helpful. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. BTW software was fully updated as far as I knew before any of this happened.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I requested a Lemon Law buy-back from Honda Corporate. My issues have been awful and the more they try to fix the issues, the worse they get. The crackles and pops happen every day. Audio cuts out 4 or 5 times a week and won't come back until I shut of the vehicle and let it sit for a few hours. Speedometer has shut off mid-drive many times and will get into a rebooting loop sometimes. And I've had the backup camera stay on while I am driving forward. It's just awful.
Honda denied my request for Lemon Law buy-back with no explanation. This seems inexplicable. They sold me a defective car that they can't fix and I'm stuck paying for it.

I'm to a point where I'm ready to simply file a lawsuit and take them to court. It's unsafe and unfair.

I've reported the dealership to BBB, Attny General in my state and I took the vehicle back to dealership to fix it. They quickly examined it and said "we couldn't find anything wrong". Honda is terrible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Because this issue continues to get worse and the entire instrument cluster shuts off and won't come back on (including all cameras, speedometer, safety features, cruise control, infotainment, and all sound etc), I started a new thread with a new title to more accurately reflect what is going on with the vehicle.
You can read more details and see video here:

I think the biggest take-away is that this issue is chronic in my vehicle, the dealership can't fix it and Honda America is unconcerned and has refused to take the vehicle back or offer any relief at all.

If I were them, I would want this car off the road asap...but they seem unconcerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 Pilot just started doing the exact same thing, static pops, radio in/out, now on and off, dash goes blank, Radio shows "network connection lost" then resets radio and dashboard.
I do not plug the phone in so that is not the cause. I have only a 1000 miles on it :(

21 - 40 of 42 Posts