Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Pilot has gone completely haywire. It's only a few months old.
I get loud pops and crackles and lose audio and my dash and infotainment go completely black. It is very scary. No speedometer. No safety features. No backup camera. Nothing.

Errors include:
  • "Radio Unavailable"
  • "Network Communication Lost"
  • "Audio Lost"
And then it will go black.

Here's video of my car on the way to dealership:

It turns out that Honda has known about this issue with the console and infotainment system for a long time and has refused to fix it or issue a recall. They also are not warning potential buyers about it. This is a safety hazard to drive without speedometer and safety features obviously.

Had I known this was an issue, I never would have purchased a Pilot. Not only is this an awful annoyance, it's also a distraction and it's unsafe to drive a vehicle without a speedometer or any of the safety features. Also cannot use hands free to make phone calls etc.

My Pilot has been in the dealership for 8 days now with no resolution or explanation. They sent it home after 4 days saying "We rebooted it and now we can't replicate the issue". On my way home that time, after driving 2 minutes down the road, the issue returned. I wonder if they didn't even try to drive the vehicle or replicate.

No end in sight and no explanation from Honda corporate and no fix.

I found out there is a class action lawsuit about these issues. I read the complaint. It is the same issue. Honda has known about these issues dating back to 2018. Long before I purchased my vehicle.

Anyone else having the issue with entire screen going black and losing speedometer etc?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not surprised. Honda's reliability has been meh for many years now. I think the accountants and not the engineers are running the show. My 2018 has already had two failed parts before 15K (climate control blower and rear differential seal) and a host of other seat/trim squeaks and rattles. My overall impression is the contracts go to the lowest bidder and the end result are cheap parts and questionable manufacturing/QC processes. The cheery on top is Honda dealerships are traditionally a PITA to deal with too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is likely a software problem, not hardware. I would be hesitant with letting the dealer do anything drastic to the car to try and “fix” the problem, except for maybe replacing the head unit. Supposedly Honda is working on a software fix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@h3yn0w Honda dealership told me that same thing the first day "There is a software coming out in late October that should address these audio issues".
They have a serious issue known since late last year and a class action lawsuit filed in March and they are going to wait til late October to issue the patch? It doesn't make any sense at all. Doesn't add up.

Once they looked at the vehicle and saw the error and watched the video with Honda Tech Corporate they changed their story and think it is a hardware issue.

Besides, I can't drive the vehicle like this for 3 months waiting for some supposed fix. It's non-functional and not safe.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get loud pops and crackles and lose audio and my dash and infotainment go completely black. It is very scary. No speedometer. No safety features. No backup camera. Nothing.

Errors include:
  • "Radio Unavailable"
  • "Audio Lost"

It turns out that Honda has known about this issue with the console and infotainment system for a long time and has refused to fix it or issue a recall. They also are not warning potential buyers about it. This is a safety hazard to drive without speedometer and safety features obviously.

Had I known this was an issue, I never would have purchased a Pilot. Not only is this an awful annoyance, it's also a distraction and it's unsafe to drive a vehicle without a speedometer or any of the safety features. Also cannot use hands free to make phone calls etc.

My Pilot has been in the dealership for 8 days now with no resolution or explanation. They sent it home after 4 days saying "We rebooted it and now we can't replicate the issue". On my way home that time, after driving 2 minutes down the road, the issue returned. I wonder if they didn't even try to drive the vehicle or replicate.

I found out there is a class action lawsuit about these issues. I read the complaint. It is the same issue. Honda has known about these issues dating back to 2018. Long before I purchased my vehicle.

Anyone else having the issue with entire screen going black and losing speedometer etc?
Some similar discussions might be of some help:

·
Registered
189 Posts

Errors include:
  • "Radio Unavailable"
  • "Audio Lost"

Were you using an iPhone CarPlay prior?

2016 Touring AWD MSM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: car has been in the shop for 15 days and counting. They have replaced the amp and tightened some wires and done a few tests...

After promising to have my car ready this afternoon, they just informed me that they need to keep it for another week to replace the floor harness.

By the time I get it back it will have been in the shop for at least 22 days. What a joke...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Update: car has been in the shop for 15 days and counting. They have replaced the amp and tightened some wires and done a few tests...

After promising to have my car ready this afternoon, they just informed me that they need to keep it for another week to replace the floor harness.

By the time I get it back it will have been in the shop for at least 22 days. What a joke...
That sucks. Thanks for the video. It helps other 2019 owners to see what could happen on their drive and not to panic.

Thanks for replying back about you using android auto, but has there been anyone else Who has used that front USB port with an Apple iPhone also using CarPlay?

The reason I ask, is that the service department at the Honda dealership (my local 3) knows it's usually an apple iPhone with connectivity that's the culprit.

2019 Touring AWD MSM
2016 Touring AWD MSM (traded-in)

·
Registered
44 Posts
@h3yn0w Honda dealership told me that same thing the first day "There is a software coming out in late October that should address these audio issues".
They have a serious issue known since late last year and a class action lawsuit filed in March and they are going to wait til late October to issue the patch? It doesn't make any sense at all. Doesn't add up.

Once they looked at the vehicle and saw the error and watched the video with Honda Tech Corporate they changed their story and think it is a hardware issue.

Besides, I can't drive the vehicle like this for 3 months waiting for some supposed fix. It's non-functional and not safe.
I understand, I’m just saying I would careful about how they want to fix it. Replacing a head unit is fine and easy enough. But there are horror stories about the dealer tearing apart the car to replace all of the wiring which led to even more issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think because this is a safety issue they want to exhaust all options and get it resolved. Honda corporate insisted on replacing additional items before giving me my Pilot back.
Maybe I should go get it back before they tear it apart even more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just as an update.. they continue to give me the run-around.
It's been 22 days and they still have the vehicle at the dealership. They've missed promised deadline repeatedly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any luck yet? We are having infotainment issues with our 2019 Pilot as well.. I'm waiting to hear from Honda Corp. what they will do.. Had the car for 6 months, and the issues started the first week. I'm guessing Honda isn't giving anyone any options since there is a lawsuit now..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got the vehicle back after 24 days in the shop. It has been behaving fine for the last few days since I got it back. I talked to an attny who think I have a plenty of cause and proof to demand that they purchase the vehicle back.
I'm mulling things over. I don't want to get stuck with this thing if it's going to continue to break. Worried I will get stuck holding the bag after the 1 year mark.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welp... that didn't last long. I got the vehicle back "fixed" on July 31st. The issue returned today August 8th. Same exact issues with crackling and popping in the speakers and then the audio completely goes out and infotainment system is unresponsive. I restarted the car and that didn't fit it.
Already been in the shop for 24 days... going back in again.
What a joke this Honda Pilot is...

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is an interesting problem. It most likely is a software issue... But you never know with things like this.

if it was my vehicle that was in the shop for 24 days approximately, I think what I would do is factory reset the infotainment system.

Then I would use the system for 30 days or so without ever connecting my phone to it. sure, that would be a hardship by today's standards, but I think I would want to rule out anything that my phone is doing. It could be incompatibilities between the two different systems.

After 30 days of no issues, The next step would be to alter one configurable item:. and that would be to connect to phone via Bluetooth only. I would not use Android auto.

I would continue with that because I can give my Android all of the commands I could via my voice anyway.

And I would test with just a Bluetooth connection for several weeks to a month.

At this point, if everything is okay, then I know I have a pretty solid system

The next step would to be altar one additional configurable item: I guess it would be to use Android auto and continue the testing.

That's what I would do anyway. handing it back to the dealer is great if you want to set up a lawsuit and get a new vehicle. Because there is a class action lawsuit. It's not affecting everybody.

the issue reminds me of the old HDMI issue where there was an incompatibility between Blu-ray players and projectors and TVs and whatnot. And all the manufacturers blame the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Errors include:
  • "Radio Unavailable"
  • "Audio Lost"

Errors include:
  • "Radio Unavailable"
  • "Audio Lost"

yes - driving down interstate with 4 grandchildren aboard-

Errors include:
  • "Radio Unavailable"
  • "Audio Lost"

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time - driving on interstate wth 4 precious grans aboard- both screens went BLACK - finally speedometer screen came on - abt 20 miles later nav screen posted audio locked n never came on - which meant phone etc not working while driving . After returning home turning off car -several
hours later - both screens working
Second time speedometer screen does not go out but nav /audio screen goes black - no phone etc
Then —- nav/audio screen pops up message that my ‘anti auto theft whatever has been disabled ‘‘??? Weird
So take car to dealer- long story short- now my dealership is talking engineers in California!!!
Dealership called today - said California engineers are working on issue but they don’t know when it will be resolved .......Go Honda ( are these engineers from definitely not from MIT, Cal tech, GA Tech)
My dealership is great but they wanted to know if I wanted to come n get my 2019 Honda elite- drive it until California engineers find solution -
I am very scared that instead of black screens- the car will just STOP whenever or wherever I am driving and soooooo many lives beside my precious grans n
innocent unknowing lives could be hurt! .?? That is a risk I am not willing to risk
My Honda dealership assured me the CAR would never just STOP——
just wish I n my dealership knew abt class action suit before we purchased the honda Elite or did they ??.
Story will continue.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine has this issue whether phone is plugged in or not. My dealership and Honda Tech Line (corporate) both said that they are quite certain it is hardware related.
I have no interest in being their guinea pig or doing their hardware and software testing for them. They should be calling me to purchase the vehicle back from me so they can test extensively in controlled environment and test and resolve once and for all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has this issue whether phone is plugged in or not. My dealership and Honda Tech Line (corporate) both said that they are quite certain it is hardware related.
I have no interest in being their guinea pig or doing their hardware and software testing for them. They should be calling me to purchase the vehicle back from me so they can test extensively in controlled environment and test and resolve once and for all.
All.....just started shopping for a 2019....should this issue alone be enough to purchase something else?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts