Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quarter size paint wrinkle on rear plastic fender on my brand new 2019 Honda. Is that a common issue with Honda Paint? What might be the cause of it? I noticed that blemish day after I purchased the car. Not sure if I bought it like this or just appeared overnight. Currently I am waiting for work approval at dealership I bought car from (150 miles away). Local Honda and Honda Care told me to go to the dealership I bought the car from. Not happy at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wrinkling paint is caused by a chemical reaction between the paint and some other chemical that doesn't play well with the paint. This was caused by not having a properly cleaned surface and based on the size looks to be about the size of a thumb print. The problem pops up within hours after the paint cures so you bought it this way. They shouldn't try to blame this problem on something you did in the short time you've owned the car. This is a classic paint problem that anyone with knowledge of painting cars will recognize.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you StephenPT for the explanation. Local Dealership told me that it was "burn" mark caused by an excessive heat applied in that area (blaming me) and refused to fix it. They told me to go to the Dealership I bought the car from. I am still waiting for work approval but feel much better knowing the cause of the wrinkling. Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found a very similar spot on the rocker not long after I got my Accord. Dealer covered it under warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda approved and fixed that defect under warranty. It took 1 week to get work approval and another to fix it by body shop. After I got my car I noticed another paint defect (paint bubble under headlight on passenger side). So I waited another 1 week for approval and 3 days to fix it. I put over thousands miles on 2 vehicles and was without car for 4 weeks but it is over. Other issues I am going to tackle are minor gas tank door misalignment (not flush with a body) and wind noise that I can not stand it (dealer says it is normal).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts