Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I'm hoping to get some feedback and maybe some answers from this forum. My wife and I just bought a 2019 EX-L Pilot. This is our 3rd one and have had nothing but good luck with the previous two pilots. We've put a couple thousand miles on the car and my wife started to notice a noise when she was cruising at 75 miles an hour or more. She recorded it on her cell phone and we took it into the dealership where we bought it. They drove it and heard the same thing and called it "Gear Noise" and told us it should go away after the break in period or after our first oil change. Not liking that answer, I took it to a different Honda dealership and they are now telling us that all 2 wheel drive pilots make that same noise. So my wife asked to drive a new one. They took her out in a 4 wheel drive touring as they didn't have any EX-L 2019's on the lot. My wife called them on it and said it's not comparing apples to apples. They sent our video to Honda Corporate and they acknowledged they hear the sound, but say it's normal. I feel like this is BS. We bought a new car and we want it to be perfect. Any suggestions? Would this qualify for Lemon law?
**Update- Went back to Honda dealership and talked to Shop Supervisor. He said its the "Gear teeth in the transmission" and about 5-10 of Honda's have it and Honda corporate says it's normal. He said sometimes it gets better once the teeth wear down and sometimes it gets worse. He said all they can do is replace the transmission but he suggested we don't mess with it. I feel stuck and not sure what to do next. Suggestions???

·
Registered
171 Posts
We bought a new car and we want it to be perfect. Any suggestions?
Perfect is a tough standard to achieve.

I suggest you take it on a road trip and try to break it. If "successful", the warranty covers you. If not, evaluate the relative headache of letting it ride another few thousand miles vs. trying to convince Honda America to pay for a new transmission, not having the car for a week or so, and hoping that the dealer performs this major surgery perfectly. Maybe I'm too risk averse, but I would have much more confidence in a whining original transmission than in a dealer-replaced transmission in a new car.

You've got a recording and multiple "expert diagnoses". If its worse down the road, you've got a much stronger position from which to negotiate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect is a tough standard to achieve.

I suggest you take it on a road trip and try to break it. If "successful", the warranty covers you. If not, evaluate the relative headache of letting it ride another few thousand miles vs. trying to convince Honda America to pay for a new transmission, not having the car for a week or so, and hoping that the dealer performs this major surgery perfectly. Maybe I'm too risk averse, but I would have much more confidence in a whining original transmission than in a dealer-replaced transmission in a new car.

You've got a recording and multiple "expert diagnoses". If its worse down the road, you've got a much stronger position from which to negotiate.
Thank you for the reply. You are probably correct. My wife is taking the car to California (we are in AZ) next week so we will see if anything changes. We already have 4,500 miles on the car. I just thought it was crazy that you spend all this money on a car and when there is an issue, the dealer just dismisses it as normal. I certainly don't want the dealer to mess with the transmission as I'm sure it will create other problems. Since the dealer tried to pass this noise off as "Normal", I thought I would see if anyone else on this forum has experienced anything similar. Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Pilot Elite with about 10,000 miles on it. A few months ago, it started making an unusual noise that would last about a second and would happen every 3 or 4 minutes. It didn't do this until about 5 or 6 month into owning this car. Now it is doing it constantly. The dealer kept the car for a month working on it. Two different times the told me they couldn't duplicate the problem. Both times, I came in and drove it with a technician and easily duplicated the problem. They narrowed it down to the A/C. The have twice "cleaned moisture" from the system and they replaced an expansion valve. I called Honda USA and opened a case. After 2 or 3 calls, THEY told me they were having trouble with the dual-stage compressors. So, I set up an appointment for the dealer to replace the compressor and emailed Honda USA. Today, I got a call from Honda USA saying they have determined, "the car is operating normally and no repairs are required." Let's see: it didn't do it when we got it, it has steadily gotten worse, and now, because they can't figure it out, it is operating normally. I told them I was taking it to a repair shop who knew what they were doing to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem, and sending them the bill. Of course they said they wouldn't pay the bill. So, they can't diagnosis the problem and I KNOW there is a problem and it is under warranty, but I'm just supposed to live with it. Absurd!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Pilot Elite with about 10,000 miles on it. A few months ago, it started making an unusual noise that would last about a second and would happen every 3 or 4 minutes. It didn't do this until about 5 or 6 month into owning this car. Now it is doing it constantly. The dealer kept the car for a month working on it. Two different times the told me they couldn't duplicate the problem. Both times, I came in and drove it with a technician and easily duplicated the problem. They narrowed it down to the A/C. The have twice "cleaned moisture" from the system and they replaced an expansion valve. I called Honda USA and opened a case. After 2 or 3 calls, THEY told me they were having trouble with the dual-stage compressors. So, I set up an appointment for the dealer to replace the compressor and emailed Honda USA. Today, I got a call from Honda USA saying they have determined, "the car is operating normally and no repairs are required." Let's see: it didn't do it when we got it, it has steadily gotten worse, and now, because they can't figure it out, it is operating normally. I told them I was taking it to a repair shop who knew what they were doing to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem, and sending them the bill. Of course they said they wouldn't pay the bill. So, they can't diagnosis the problem and I KNOW there is a problem and it is under warranty, but I'm just supposed to live with it. Absurd!!!!!

I bought by 2019 Honda Touring end of April. Shortly after driving the car I noticed a squeak in engine compartment when I let up on gas or brakes applied. Mileage was less than 1,600. I took it into the Dealer in June. Dealer said it was transmission (FIRST REPAIR ATTEMPT) and ordered new transmission. Early July brought in the car to have transmission replaced. Honda Technical Rep said it wasn’t the transmission. Recommended to replace engine mounts (SECOND REPAIR ATTEMPT). Engine mounts were replaced. Squeak was still present. After extensive test drive, Honda said it was from A/C and Honda Tech said to perform deep A/C vacuum/drying (THIRD REPAIR ATTEMPT). After A/C vacuum/drying the squeak was still there. Honda Tech then said it was A/C expansion valve. But, Honda refused to replace the valve. They stated it “IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE”.

I was told by Dealer that three other customers had complained about same squeak and they also found a new car on lot with same issue.

In July I contacted Honda Customer Care. In August Honda Customer Care told me my claim was denied and that the squeak in the engine – A/C - was a normal characteristic. Customer Care Rep indicated that they were handling other customer complainants with the same issue. My complaint was closed.

Since when is a squeak in a brand-new car a normal characteristic? If Honda really thought it was a normal characteristic why did they continue to try to fix my car. It wasn’t until they couldn’t fix it after three attempts and Honda refused to replace the A/C expansion valve that they decided it was a normal characteristic. I am assuming not all 2019 Honda Pilot Touring cars have this issue.

It is clear that many 2019 Honda Pilots have this noise issue that Honda refuses to acknowledge as a problem to the customer. They sold me a car with a known issue. Isn’t that deceptive selling?

What fixes this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought by 2019 Honda Touring end of April. Shortly after driving the car I noticed a squeak in engine compartment when I let up on gas or brakes applied. Mileage was less than 1,600. I took it into the Dealer in June. Dealer said it was transmission (FIRST REPAIR ATTEMPT) and ordered new transmission. Early July brought in the car to have transmission replaced. Honda Technical Rep said it wasn’t the transmission. Recommended to replace engine mounts (SECOND REPAIR ATTEMPT). Engine mounts were replaced. Squeak was still present. After extensive test drive, Honda said it was from A/C and Honda Tech said to perform deep A/C vacuum/drying (THIRD REPAIR ATTEMPT). After A/C vacuum/drying the squeak was still there. Honda Tech then said it was A/C expansion valve. But, Honda refused to replace the valve. They stated it “IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE”.

I was told by Dealer that three other customers had complained about same squeak and they also found a new car on lot with same issue.

In July I contacted Honda Customer Care. In August Honda Customer Care told me my claim was denied and that the squeak in the engine – A/C - was a normal characteristic. Customer Care Rep indicated that they were handling other customer complainants with the same issue. My complaint was closed.

Since when is a squeak in a brand-new car a normal characteristic? If Honda really thought it was a normal characteristic why did they continue to try to fix my car. It wasn’t until they couldn’t fix it after three attempts and Honda refused to replace the A/C expansion valve that they decided it was a normal characteristic. I am assuming not all 2019 Honda Pilot Touring cars have this issue.

It is clear that many 2019 Honda Pilots have this noise issue that Honda refuses to acknowledge as a problem to the customer. They sold me a car with a known issue. Isn’t that deceptive selling?

What fixes this problem? Any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts