3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve decided to update the audio in my 2019 Pilot EX-L in two phases

First Phase (Add a Sub)
Running 4ga OFC wire back to the rear storage tray
Tapping Rear speaker wires for signal
Disable front ANC mic

Phase I Equipment
SUB: JL CS112LG-TW3 (Slim 12” Powerwedge that fits in the rear tray with the deck lid)
AMP: JL JD500
LOC: LC2i Pro

Everything seems to be going well with Phase 1 so far. Install in progress. I need help with Phase II

The plan for phase 2 includes upgrading the front and rear speakers, tweeters and adding a 4 channel amp. I’ll likely upgrade to a LC7i or maybe straight to a DSP but I need to get to the speaker wires for each speaker.

After hours of research I gave up looking for a radio harness. They don’t exist yet.

I pulled the “radio” out of the dash and found out it was an "infotainment" system. I would have loved to tapped the individual speaker wires from there and built a harness out of speedwire but the harnesses/wires don’t look like anything that I’m used to. I didn’t see 14 pairs of wires (7 speakers total)

I tried to pay for a ALLDATA DIY subscription as someone else described in this forum but nothing is available for this vehicle.

I can tap into each wire it each speaker location but I would love to use speedwire to keep things tidy and all connections in one place. The only thing I haven’t done is to track down where an Amplifier might be (assuming there is an amp). I know the Touring and Elite come with an amp but can only assume the EX-L does too at this point.

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated. Images of the “infotainment” unit and harness below.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is an amp, it's on the passenger side rear kick panel and is really difficult to remove, there's a screw near the passenger rear door as you enter on the handle and the cargo net hangers have screws behind them. When removing mine I found out that the lazy probably unionized worker in Alabama stripped them and put them in half a$$. Anyways, it calls for removing the rear third row seat I believe. Another really helpful resource is to call Crutchfield, they sent me a wire harness diagram for the post amp wires (can't find it). Call them and tell them you want to order parts to install but if they can send you a wire diagram. I tapped the post amp rear speaker wires to a two channel amp to install the optional third row speakers that are on the elite models, makes a big difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the info! I just found a diagram of the "tuner/amp" in another forum now that I know what I'm looking for. I have a Crutchfield diagram from previous purchases and saw the pin out diagrams for the amp but wasn't sure if it applied to the EX-L trim level. Seems like quite a bit of effort required to remove the panel but being able to get all the wires from a single location in the rear is an attractive option. If I'm going to grab the wires for the sub install, seems easy enough to run leads for the rest of the speakers while I'm at it. I also considered building a harness so going back to stock was as simple as disconnecting the "upgraded" harness and plugging in the "original" harness. With your "Elite" speaker upgrade did you buy the rear hatch panels for the Elite or fabricate your own from the existing panels?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought the panels, there were fairly cheap, I recommend buying the stock speakers too because I bought 3 or 3 1/2 inch speakers and they don't fit right. It doesn't produce loud sound but it's very noticeable when sitting up front as it fills out the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I poked around looking for the rear panel with speaker for the Elite trim that you mentioned but the diagrams I'm finding are not making it clear what the part number is or even if I'm looking at the right panel. I'll keep looking but I don't think it's something I can take on right now. I did remove the rear seat and got access to the speaker output wires on the amp tonight. I bought some speedwire and the plan is to slice and splice front and rear wires this weekend since I need signal for the sub anyway. I'll patch everything back together until it comes time for the 4ch amp and front/rear speaker upgrades. I appreciate the fact I only have to pull it apart once at this point.

I am also planning on running the power wire this weekend down the drivers side. I believe I found a hole in the firewall with plenty of room. It's high on the firewall right behind a small fusebox. Do you remember if you ran your power wire through the same hole and if not, do you remember where you ran it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts