Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just posted this on youtube and thought I also post it here.

My new 2019 Honda Pilot EX has a grinding noise on a cold start up when using the remote start. I have not been able to duplicate the noise when using the push button start. Only happens when using the remote start and only on a cold start. The noise sounds a little like when your car is already on and you accidently turn the key and here that grinding noise. It also does not happen every time. So I have not brought it to the dealer as of yet. Car only has 88 miles on it. I'm thinking it's the starter. Anyone else having this issue with there 2016 to 2019 Pilots, Ridgeline or Odyssey? If so, and you got it repaired what was the issue?

Thanks

Jr :1zhelp:

Youtube video YouTube

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 2017 Pilot EX-L and a 2017 Ridgeline, and they both do this. It is (95% certain) the A/C clutch engaging. It usually happens for us if the car hasn't been started in a few days. I have tested it, leaving the A/C off on a restart and when I engage it it makes that sound. I probably should get it checked out but figured it was normal since they both do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have the floor heat set to 72. I don't think the A/C clutch should be engaging with the heat set. But I just went outside and shut it all down and will restart it tomorrow. Cold tonight in PA.
Trying to figure out how I can use the remote start to start the engine while the engine hood is open. The remote does not allow the car to start (safety feature) with the hood open. Would like to hear and try to get a video with the hood open. I would have taken it to the dealer already but it's not consistent. However since it's now getting colder I may take it in soon in hopes they can hear the noise on a cold start.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not completely sure, but I don't think the car uses your last settings on the HVAC when you use the remote start. It is likely using the AC whereas when you start normally it uses your last heat setting which likely does not. Maybe tomorrow, go out and start it with the dash button, and then manually turn on the AC compressor and see if it makes the sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well no noise today using the remote start feature. It's not consistent. Quickly shut the Pilot off went inside used the push button start and turned on the ac and got no noise. Actually turned the ac on an off a few times, but no noise.

I had the A/C & Heat on the off position a couple of weeks ago and Got the noise on a cold start with the remote. I really think it's the starter hanging when using the remote start feature. Somehow I feel they are both related. I have never heard that grinding noise using the push button on a cold start.

If I leave the heat set to 72 on the floor mode setting the Pilot will always start up with those settings using the remote start. Also the heated seats turn on with the remote start.

Well at least I have my video for the dealer when I decide to drop it off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just saw a video online that shows on a cold day the defroster does turn on when using the remote start and when the A/C & Heat settings are on Off. So I started the car with the remote start opened the door and noticed the front defroster was indeed on (on high mode). I believe the A/C compressor kicks in when using the front defroster so I can't rule out the A/C Clutch. :crazyeye:

Remote Engine Start | 2019 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same thing happening on my GFs Pilot when she uses the remote start. It's inconsistent and I can't figure out what triggers it. I also suspected the starter but have no way of checking

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I am convinced this sound is the AC compressor clutch. I just made the video below. Of course the sound cut out but you can still hear the noise when I turn on the AC. Both our Pilot and 17 Ridgeline do this if they've sat a few days without being started. Personally I haven't been too concerned, I imagine it being like disc brakes that get a little rusty after sitting a while. The question is, has anyone had this addressed as a problem with the dealer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pYnOM9JxYI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been driving my 2019 touring for a month now. I’ve been noticing this grinding noise at startups as well specially if the vehicle is parked for at least 4-5 hours. I’ve had this problem with my 2012 CRV and it was the reason I traded it in for the pilot. Although the noise is not as loud as the crv, the pilot is worse since the crv only does it during cold temperatures. I havent brought back the pilot to the dealership yet. For the crv, the dealer said it’s the vvt actuator that needs to be replaced and would cost $800+. The bad thing is some owners who had the vvt actuator replaced report that the problem came back. Apparently this problem is quite common with accords and crvs. A buddy of mine who owns a 2017 pilot exl said he has been noticing the issue as well. Frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been driving my 2019 touring for a month now. I’ve been noticing this grinding noise at startups as well specially if the vehicle is parked for at least 4-5 hours. I’ve had this problem with my 2012 CRV and it was the reason I traded it in for the pilot. Although the noise is not as loud as the crv, the pilot is worse since the crv only does it during cold temperatures. I havent brought back the pilot to the dealership yet. For the crv, the dealer said it’s the vvt actuator that needs to be replaced and would cost $800+. The bad thing is some owners who had the vvt actuator replaced report that the problem came back. Apparently this problem is quite common with accords and crvs. A buddy of mine who owns a 2017 pilot exl said he has been noticing the issue as well. Frustrating to say the least.
Wow.

Our 2014 CR-V has the same issue. Replaced the VTC at 36k, and again at 65k along with the timing belt tensioner....but it still grinds/rattles even in 40-50 degree weather. Very frustrating.

Hearing that Honda is still having the same issue in the 2019 Pilot is really making me reconsider purchasing one. Ugh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow.

Our 2014 CR-V has the same issue. Replaced the VTC at 36k, and again at 65k along with the timing belt tensioner....but it still grinds/rattles even in 40-50 degree weather. Very frustrating.

Hearing that Honda is still having the same issue in the 2019 Pilot is really making me reconsider purchasing one. Ugh.
I
Wow.

Ooops, thanks for your comment, it’s the VTC actuator. I usually do the key trick with my crv which sometimes work, but couldnt do that anymore with the pilot with the push button start. Dreading the thought of winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We had a 2013 CR-V that also had a little or short grinding noise when starting the car. Also on an initial take off from drive. My son has the CR-V now. My mechanic installed a new belt tensioner pulley and the noise went away. He also installed a new serpentine belt. Noise started at around 50k and was fixed at 57k miles. Glad it was not the VTC Actuator on the CR-V.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NotTartS,

In regard to the 2019 Honda Pilot EX, 4 trips to the dealership and they could not fix it. 3rd attempt they installed a new starter, which was not the problem, 4th attempt they installed a new AC Comp. & clutch after me leaving the Pilot with them for 3 days and having them let me start the vehicle while 2 mechanic's had the hood open and listening to the ac engage. They both confirmed it was the ac clutch. But that did not correct the issue. Actually got a little louder with the new ac parts. I'm guessing it's the same AC Comp & clutch part number and I ended up with another defective part. Start up noise is more noticeable when it's cold out. Although it's present but not as loud in the summer months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts