Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Honda Pilot Elite with about 10,000 miles on it. A few months ago, it started making an unusual noise that would last about a second and would happen every 3 or 4 minutes. It didn't do this until about 5 or 6 month into owning this car. Now it is doing it constantly. The dealer kept the car for a month working on it. Two different times the told me they couldn't duplicate the problem. Both times, I came in and drove it with a technician and easily duplicated the problem. They narrowed it down to the A/C. The have twice "cleaned moisture" from the system and they replaced an expansion valve. I called Honda USA and opened a case. After 2 or 3 calls, THEY told me they were having trouble with the dual-stage compressors. So, I set up an appointment for the dealer to replace the compressor and emailed Honda USA. Today, I got a call from Honda USA saying they have determined, "the car is operating normally and no repairs are required." Let's see: it didn't do it when we got it, it has steadily gotten worse, and now, because they can't figure it out, it is operating normally. I told them I was taking it to a repair shop who knew what they were doing to get an accurate diagnosis of the problem, and sending them the bill. Of course they said they wouldn't pay the bill. So, they can't diagnosis the problem and I KNOW there is a problem and it is under warranty, but I'm just supposed to live with it. Absurd!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The question I should have asked at the end of that, is anyone else having problems with their A/C in their Pilot?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What does the noise sound like? I have a dull “squeak” type noise that happens when I depress the gas pedal and deaccelerate. 2019 Touring purchased in October 2018. Didn’t hear the noise until this summer as I ran the AC more. Noise is the worst on hotter days (air system running harder?), but I also have to be listening for it as it’s not loud and it is inconsistent. Dealership told me it is the AC compressor they’ve used in the 2019 Pilots and Odysseys. They’ve heard of similar issues from other Honda mechanics. There isn’t a “fix” and a newly installed compressor will most likely do the same thing if it’s another factory compressor. Not mechanically compromising, although annoying. I know zero about how cars work so I’m just repeating what I was told.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to describe. It is sort of a rubbing but not grating noise. The best description I've come up with so far is that it sounds like a dog barking a very far distance away. My problem with what they are saying is that it didn't do it for several months and since it started it is happening more often, is more pronounced and louder. I am certain it is going to go out sooner or later. They just won't admit it because it would mean a recall. The problem is, when it goes out, it could cause a lot of problems. There is at least a chance the pully will freeze and either snap the drive belt of cause a fire. This is my wife's car. Obviously, I don't want her driving it when something like that happens. I've bought 6 Hondas and an Acura over the years. Based on their response to this, I won't be buying any more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my 2019 Honda Touring end of April. Shortly after driving the car I noticed a squeak in engine compartment when I let up on gas or brakes applied. Mileage was less than 1,600. I took it into the Dealer in June. Dealer said it was transmission (FIRST REPAIR ATTEMPT) and ordered new transmission. Early July brought in the car to have transmission replaced. Honda Technical Rep said it wasn’t the transmission. Recommended to replace engine mounts (SECOND REPAIR ATTEMPT). Engine mounts were replaced. Squeak was still present. After extensive test drive, Honda said it was from A/C and Honda Tech said to perform deep A/C vacuum/drying (THIRD REPAIR ATTEMPT). After A/C vacuum/drying the squeak was still there. Honda Tech then said it was A/C expansion valve. But, Honda refused to replace the valve. They stated it “IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE”.

I was told by Dealer that three other customers had complained about same squeak and they also found a new car on lot with same issue.

In July I contacted Honda Customer Care. In August Honda Customer Care told me my claim was denied and that the squeak in the engine – A/C - was a normal characteristic. Customer Care Rep indicated that they were handling other customer complainants with the same issue. My complaint was closed.

Since when is a squeak in a brand-new car a normal characteristic? If Honda really thought it was a normal characteristic why did they continue to try to fix my car. It wasn’t until they couldn’t fix it after three attempts and Honda refused to replace the A/C expansion valve that they decided it was a normal characteristic. I am assuming not all 2019 Honda Pilot Touring cars have this issue.

It is clear that many 2019 Honda Pilots have this noise issue that Honda refuses to acknowledge as a problem to the customer. They sold me a car with a known issue. Isn’t that deceptive selling?

What fixes this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's hard to describe. It is sort of a rubbing but not grating noise. The best description I've come up with so far is that it sounds like a dog barking a very far distance away. My problem with what they are saying is that it didn't do it for several months and since it started it is happening more often, is more pronounced and louder. I am certain it is going to go out sooner or later. They just won't admit it because it would mean a recall. The problem is, when it goes out, it could cause a lot of problems. There is at least a chance the pully will freeze and either snap the drive belt of cause a fire. This is my wife's car. Obviously, I don't want her driving it when something like that happens. I've bought 6 Hondas and an Acura over the years. Based on their response to this, I won't be buying any more.
Is yours a 2WD or an AWD? Mine is a 2WD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts