Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scheduling first oil change tonight and the option for Minder A is ‘change oil’ $54.95 no mention of filter. I see on the menu Minder B is oil and filter $127. I must have been out of it too long never heard of an oil change without filter. Whats the scoop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
My dealer changes filter every time. They don't subscribe to that nonsense.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Honda actually has the MM set up for an oil change (A) without a filter, and then an oil change and filter (B). You could realistically be running the filter for upwards of 15000-20000 miles if you follow the MM. For the relative low cost of a filter and the perceived extra protection it gives (IMHO) I change the filter every oil change.

Check online for other dealers in your area. My selling dealer advertises their oil and filter change for $79.99! Adding the tire rotation they are up to $129.00!

I found another Honda dealer within 15 miles of my selling dealer who does the 6 quarts Honda full synthetic 0W20, a Honda A02 filter, and brake, tire, battery, suspension inspection with a free wash for $29.99. Adding a tire rotation, they charge $49.99. I found their coupons online and used them for the first time a few weeks ago. No reason to go to my selling dealer for work if they are charging almost 3 times for the same services as the other Honda dealer.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Registered
283 Posts
Most folks change the filter with every oil change, but Honda says you can do it every other oil change. It's not a "WORTHLESS" recommendation....at the typical intervals of 7.5K miles or so, you will not normally load the filter to capacity in 15K miles and as long as the filter has enough capacity to not trip the bypass valve, it will filter just as well at 15K miles as it did when new (actually somewhat better as it loads).

Another rationale for always changing the filter is that you leave about 4 oz of dirty oil in the filter when you don't change it, but keep in mind that that there is about 8 oz of undrainable oil in the engine that gets left behind regardless of what you do with the filter.

All this being said, most change the filter every oil change just for peace of mind and to handle severe conditions. But if your use of the car is typical and you want to save $10 on each OCI, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going with Honda's recommendation. And this is not a Honda thing - other mfgs make similar recommendations or extend oil change intervals out to 15K miles or so when synthetic is required which means the filter stays in place for the longer OCI. Dealers typically always change the filter, but that has little to do with necessity and everything to do with making more money.

- Mark

·
Registered
590 Posts
Most Honda dealers will have a "coupon" saying they will accept any coupons from other Honda dealers in your area. I would recommend finding a coupon that includes the filter and bringing it to the dealer of your choice. I've never heard of not changing an oil filter when you change the oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda actually has the MM set up for an oil change (A) without a filter, and then an oil change and filter (B). You could realistically be running the filter for upwards of 15000-20000 miles if you follow the MM. For the relative low cost of a filter and the perceived extra protection it gives (IMHO) I change the filter every oil change.

Check online for other dealers in your area. My selling dealer advertises their oil and filter change for $79.99! Adding the tire rotation they are up to $129.00!

I found another Honda dealer within 15 miles of my selling dealer who does the 6 quarts Honda full synthetic 0W20, a Honda A02 filter, and brake, tire, battery, suspension inspection with a free wash for $29.99. Adding a tire rotation, they charge $49.99. I found their coupons online and used them for the first time a few weeks ago. No reason to go to my selling dealer for work if they are charging almost 3 times for the same services as the other Honda dealer.
Which dealer has the 49.99 deal? I still have one more free oil change certificate, but it would be good to know in the future. I have always went to Rick Case for service, but I purchased from Motorcars (now Foundation).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Which dealer has the 49.99 deal? I still have one more free oil change certificate, but it would be good to know in the future. I have always went to Rick Case for service, but I purchased from Motorcars (now Foundation).
Nassief Honda on IH 90 at SR 45 in Astabula county. These are the coupons he has showing now. I had called because the coupon mentioned 5 quarts of oil and the Pilot takes 6 quarts. He said it did include 6 quarts even though it said 5. Oil filter is also included.

First time I was there and they were very friendly and did good work. Tire pressure was accurately adjusted the oil level was right at the full mark. I purchased from Honda of Mentor after getting a price from Motorcars. They actually dealer traded to get the car I wanted from Motorcars. Living in Lake County I wanted to be close to my selling dealership. Honda of Mentor has very high routine maintenance costs so that's why I started looking on line.

Nassief Honda Service Coupons

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spoke to advisor today and stated they always change filter unless customer directs them not to. He also said he thought 'personally' 7k was too many miles in between. we had an 06 Odyssey and went by them computer with no issues up to almost 200k when we sold it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
379 Posts
I'm up for my first oil change on 2019 EX-L. I didn't realize they may not change filter. I better make sure I ask that, good to know. I definitely want filter changed. I think on a new engine it's wise to change the filter with at least the first few changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nassief Honda on IH 90 at SR 45 in Astabula county. These are the coupons he has showing now. I had called because the coupon mentioned 5 quarts of oil and the Pilot takes 6 quarts. He said it did include 6 quarts even though it said 5. Oil filter is also included.

First time I was there and they were very friendly and did good work. Tire pressure was accurately adjusted the oil level was right at the full mark. I purchased from Honda of Mentor after getting a price from Motorcars. They actually dealer traded to get the car I wanted from Motorcars. Living in Lake County I wanted to be close to my selling dealership. Honda of Mentor has very high routine maintenance costs so that's why I started looking on line.

Nassief Honda Service Coupons
I purchased a 2008 CR-V from Honda of Mentor. They really got over on me! Lol!

I feel so naive! I just assumed that all of the surrounding dealers charged the same price for service to stay competitive. I just checked a few websites and some specials only include 5 qts of conventional oil. I notice that they all say "up to 5 qts". I will be sure to verify that 6 qts and a filter are included.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I purchased a 2008 CR-V from Honda of Mentor. They really got over on me! Lol!

I feel so naive! I just assumed that all of the surrounding dealers charged the same price for service to stay competitive. I just checked a few websites and some specials only include 5 qts of conventional oil. I notice that they all say "up to 5 qts". I will be sure to verify that 6 qts and a filter are included.
I had tried leasing a CR-V from Honda of Mentor in 2017 but their attitude was basically if I didn't like the $3000.00 down, $500.00 a month payment then tough. I walked and got a great deal on an Equinox. Only reason I even went back to them for the Pilot is because I found the car and a great price (Costco) from Motorcars along with an additional $1000.00 Honda rebate which wasn't made public. It was something the dealer could use to help seal the deal or they could keep it for a higher profit.

Got the price from Motorcars and since I really wanted to buy locally where I would probable have repairs and service done, I gave Honda of Mentor a chance to meet the deal for the identical car. They actually went $100.00 additional off and ended up getting the car from Motorcars.

Too bad their service maintenance prices are too high compared to some other dealers. If they were not almost 2.5-3 times higher I would stick with them for any paid services. Warranty work I will use them though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I actually got Minder B16 today with 10,400 miles. I didn't expect to get it so early. I thought rear diff fluid was at or around15,000 miles.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I actually got Minder B16 today with 10,400 miles. I didn't expect to get it so early. I thought rear diff fluid was at or around15,000 miles.
What percentage of life is showing when you go into the maintenance information on the display screen? Right after resetting my MM when I had the oil change done around 8600 miles a month ago, the "B" service shows on the information. The oil life is still at 100% but it shows what service will be due next. I am expecting the 1 and the 6 to be added sometime before it is actually due.

The B6 has been noted on here to have been anywhere from 12000-16000 as a general guide. How long ago and what miles did you have when you did the last oil change?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What percentage of life is showing when you go into the maintenance information on the display screen? Right after resetting my MM when I had the oil change done around 8600 miles a month ago, the "B" service shows on the information. The oil life is still at 100% but it shows what service will be due next. I am expecting the 1 and the 6 to be added sometime before it is actually due.

The B6 has been noted on here to have been anywhere from 12000-16000 as a general guide. How long ago and what miles did you have when you did the last oil change?
It says 15% oil life. I think I had it done in August around 5500 miles. I purchased it mid-April with 5 miles.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Realistically speaking, the dealer with the $29.99 special is running a loss leader to attract customers. This is usually done with the plan to make up for the loss leader with other service or sales opportunities. On rare occasions, unscrupulous dealers will trick unsuspecting people who know nothing about automobile maintenance and repairs into prematurely replacing things that do not need replacement. These are things to be expected and to stay vigilant and be educated for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts